ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arc Flash Video  (Read 4021 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Arc Flash Video
« on: April 03, 2016, 03:57:46 PM »

Wow.  I never want to see this in person

https://www.facebook.com/KnucklesRap/videos/834749079968428/
Not to Code

David Buckley

Re: Arc Flash Video
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 04:48:06 PM »

Been doing the rounds recently this video.  The operative had appropriate safety equipment, and attitude, and, it had to be said, a fuckton of luck.  Walked (ok, well, ran away) from it and lived to tell the tale.

There are plenty arc-flash incidents with much worse outcomes, some of which are on youtube.

Here is a really sad story that anyone who goes need electricity should watch.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 04:59:03 PM by David Buckley »

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 05:29:32 PM »

Been doing the rounds recently this video.  The operative had appropriate safety equipment, and attitude, and, it had to be said, a fuckton of luck.  Walked (ok, well, ran away) from it and lived to tell the tale.

There are plenty arc-flash incidents with much worse outcomes, some of which are on youtube.

Here is a really sad story that anyone who goes need electricity should watch.

That is a sobering and useful video.  It reminds me of a card I received may years ago.  I had just bought my first chain saw.  A good friend gave me a card that read "Here lies Bob.  A good husband, good father, but of very little knowledge regarding chainsaws."  I nailed that card to the wall next to the hook that held the chain saw and read it every time I used that saw.  My friend may have saved my life.
Not to Code

David Buckley

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 06:19:32 PM »

You have a good and wise friend.

Here in New Zealand chainsaws are everywhere, and they do scare the living shit out of me.  You have to think if it were invented today that such a tool would never be allowed to be used.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 06:31:04 PM »

You have a good and wise friend.

Here in New Zealand chainsaws are everywhere, and they do scare the living shit out of me.  You have to think if it were invented today that such a tool would never be allowed to be used.

A family friend nearly died a few years ago when he was using a chainsaw alone in the woods without a cell phone, and it kicked back taking a big chunk out of his leg. He made a temp tourniquet, crawled to his truck, and drove himself to the hospital. He nearly died from loss of blood, and had to undergo physical therapy for years. Don't use a chainsaw alone in the woods.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 08:16:07 PM »

A family friend nearly died a few years ago when he was using a chainsaw alone in the woods without a cell phone, and it kicked back taking a big chunk out of his leg. He made a temp tourniquet, crawled to his truck, and drove himself to the hospital. He nearly died from loss of blood, and had to undergo physical therapy for years. Don't use a chainsaw alone in the woods.

I had a pro come out and take down a tree that was to high and to close to the house for me.  He did most of the high stuff with a good sharp hand saw.  when he got to the point he needed a chain saw he put on Chaps.  Chaps for a pro?  Yup.  I'm buying Chaps.   BTY back on power topic,  my new chain saw is my favorite.  I used the chain saw for the first time this season. It started on the first pull of the trigger. I love battery powered chain saws.
Not to Code

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 11:44:49 AM »

As to the correct gear/response.

The faceshield he is wearing appears to be clear-every arc flash rated faceshield I have ever seen has a green tint to it-some more so than others.  Standard faceshields can melt under the heat-as well as offer no eye protection from the flash.

The gloves the camera guy is wearing show exposed skin at the wrist-a big no no with arc flash.

Throwing snow (frozen water) on an electrical fire/electrical equipment?  I guess safe enough if the power was off-but what were they hoping to save or accomplish?  The damage was done and it was unlikely the fire would spread, so why take the chance?

Finally, once that arc started, why stay anywhere close?  Judging from the surroundings, he never did get far enough away for my comfort level.  If it started to melt down more switches, its going to move faster than you can-even if you are scared.

Not trying to be critical-but arc flash is too serious for people to make assumptions based on this video.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 11:44:49 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.