ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toa HX-7 line array  (Read 8090 times)

James Hicks

Toa HX-7 line array
« on: March 18, 2016, 10:50:41 AM »

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Toa HX-7 line arrays? They look pretty interesting for small-medium venues. I've been trying to find reviews online but haven't found anything, other than one on Amazon.

What other similar small line arrays in the general price range might be out there?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Toa HX-7 line array
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 10:59:27 AM »

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Toa HX-7 line arrays? They look pretty interesting for small-medium venues. I've been trying to find reviews online but haven't found anything, other than one on Amazon.

What other similar small line arrays in the general price range might be out there?
It was discussed here: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,157871.0.html

Why do you believe this is the right product for your application?

James Hicks

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 11:27:58 AM »

It was discussed here: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,157871.0.html

Why do you believe this is the right product for your application?

Thanks. I did a search but nothing popped up.

No application right now, just curiosity.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:42:09 PM »

If the goal is to have the sound arrive at a single point in time, why would any line array sound better than a quality true point source?  Often for lower cost?
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 10:21:21 PM »

Thanks. I did a search but nothing popped up.

No application right now, just curiosity.

Unfortunately you didn't get much of an answer to your question if anybody had any EXPERIENCE with the HX-7.
It's a travesty this discussion is in the Product Review section. No responder has actually HEARD the product in question. What a "review" of the product. Apologies to TOA.
Scott Hofmann

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 09:28:49 AM »

Unfortunately you didn't get much of an answer to your question if anybody had any EXPERIENCE with the HX-7.
It's a travesty this discussion is in the Product Review section. No responder has actually HEARD the product in question. What a "review" of the product. Apologies to TOA.
One of the best parts of PSW is the willingness of many members to try to look past the question the poster asks and try to answer the question they should be asking, which in this case is why the OP thinks they need a line array, and why they believe this product would be a good choice.  This isn't always particularly welcomed by the original poster - some would rather be told what they want to hear.

So, over to you Scott - what is your EXPERIENCE with the HX-7?  Why do you believe a non-expandable, low-output, expensive-compared-to-a-conventional-speaker product is a good choice for the OP who has given no specs or requirements other than wanting a cheap 'line array'?  For what it's worth, not even TOA calls this product a "line array".

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 10:35:36 AM »

One of the best parts of PSW is the willingness of many members to try to look past the question the poster asks and try to answer the question they should be asking, which in this case is why the OP thinks they need a line array, and why they believe this product would be a good choice.  This isn't always particularly welcomed by the original poster - some would rather be told what they want to hear.

So, over to you Scott - what is your EXPERIENCE with the HX-7?  Why do you believe a non-expandable, low-output, expensive-compared-to-a-conventional-speaker product is a good choice for the OP who has given no specs or requirements other than wanting a cheap 'line array'?  For what it's worth, not even TOA calls this product a "line array".

I've never heard it, so I don't have any experience with it. TOA calls it a "variable dispersion" speaker. I don't have an opinion one way or the other whether the product is suitable for the original poster.
The point I was trying to make (and maybe didn't) is that people seeking info on the HX-7 and see the topic under "Product Reviews" read everything that is being said and referred to and it's primarily negative but nobody has had any EXPERIENCE with the product. I guess it's just a " product review" of the specifications and then judgement calls based on that. Maybe the original post should have been removed from that category.
I have had experience with the smaller HX-5 in three different installations where it fit the requirements and is working quite well.
Scott Hofmann

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 11:16:03 AM »

Products that have a particular coverage pattern and can be deployed to keep sound off the floor, walls, or ceiling are very valuable, and it's likely the TOA product in question works as designed for the frequency range they have some control over.  The spec sheet doesn't say where the box loses pattern control, but it's likely to be around 600Hz or so.  Whether the TOA product is the best choice depends on the particular application.

The negative reaction here was in response to the posters' desire for a line array, and especially in the case of the OP of the other thread, this desire seemed to be from a lack of understanding of what line arrays can and can't do; rather wanting to have the en-vogue product du jour.  I think reasonable skepticism of this product truly being able to satisfy the OPs' needs was the most helpful thing we could do. 

As to this thread being in this section of the forum - arguably the OP should have put it somewhere else, but as no one has claimed to have had hands-on experience, I don't think future readers will unduly pass over this box just because this thread was here rather than in the Lounge or the Install forum.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 11:16:03 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.