ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: We had a projector donated to our church, but...  (Read 8638 times)

Tim Barber

• Eastern Washington State
We had a projector donated to our church, but...
« on: March 17, 2016, 05:02:09 PM »

I think I already know the answer to my question, but am seeking the opinion of those more experienced - I'm a sound guy, not video. Our church is currently limping along with an old 1.5K-lumen Sharp XG-E3500u in the main sanctuary. We were recently donated an almost new Hitachi CP-WX625 4K lumen demo unit.

The projector ceiling mount is almost 30 feet above the floor, and I don't want to rent a lift to do the swap until I know things are going to work.

The problem we are running into is that the existing projector mount is almost 400 inches (33 ft.) from the 140"-wide 4:3 screen, and at that distance the image from the new projector is way too big. There are no really viable options for moving the projector mount closer, and I am told a replacement lens would far exceed our budget, which is about 6 dollars :)  Am I just out of luck here, or is there something I'm not considering?

Scott Hofmann

Re: We had a projector donated to our church, but...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 07:15:20 PM »

I think I already know the answer to my question, but am seeking the opinion of those more experienced - I'm a sound guy, not video. Our church is currently limping along with an old 1.5K-lumen Sharp XG-E3500u in the main sanctuary. We were recently donated an almost new Hitachi CP-WX625 4K lumen demo unit.

The projector ceiling mount is almost 30 feet above the floor, and I don't want to rent a lift to do the swap until I know things are going to work.

The problem we are running into is that the existing projector mount is almost 400 inches (33 ft.) from the 140"-wide 4:3 screen, and at that distance the image from the new projector is way too big. There are no really viable options for moving the projector mount closer, and I am told a replacement lens would far exceed our budget, which is about 6 dollars :)  Am I just out of luck here, or is there something I'm not considering?

According to projectorcentral.com, there were never any optional lenses available for the projector, which was discontinued in 2012. If you can't get it the right distance from the screen, you're out of luck.
Scott Hofmann

veditor78

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 12:28:57 PM »

See if it has a digital zoom function built in. Sometimes you can make that negative to shrink the image. You loose pixels but at least the image will fit.

Otherwise you can get an external scaler to do the same function, but that is probably out of your budget as well.
Josh Rawls

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 12:38:25 PM »

See if it has a digital zoom function built in. Sometimes you can make that negative to shrink the image. You loose pixels but at least the image will fit.

Otherwise you can get an external scaler to do the same function, but that is probably out of your budget as well.
If it's "way too big" as the OP suggests, there won't be enough brightness left to be usable even if you can get the image to fit.

The choices are to move the projector mount to an appropriate place for the gifted projector or sell the gifted projector and get one with the right lens for their throw distance.  Not much else can be done.

Tim Barber

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 01:07:43 PM »

Pretty much what I thought. Thanks all.

Tim Barber

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 03:07:16 PM »

Update: we are up and running with a replacement lens found on eBay.

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 08:37:26 PM »

Update: we are up and running with a replacement lens found on eBay.

Did the $6 cost (your OP budget) include the shipping?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 08:37:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.