ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP5D, RH?  (Read 5397 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: DSP5D, RH?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 10:58:52 AM »

The phrasing of the original question didn't (to me, anyway) seem to ask about remote controlling the DSP5D.  Oh well.

'Remote" may not be all that far. If visiting FOH wants to use "memory stick"....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:02:17 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Raul Suarez

• Third Ear Sound
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 07:31:28 PM »

My recollection of PM5D-RH and DSP5D systems are that when networked correctly the engineer has an exactly equal experience to using a PM5D-RH alone.  I believe memory cards load from the controlling console.  I am not sure how a non-RH will control the mic pre's on the DSP5D, but I would assume it would be the same based on what I know.  I believe the PM5D can control up to 3 DSP5D's.  Once you select the DSP5D "layer" the controlling PM5D acts just as we would normally expect.
Raul Suarez
General Manager
Third Ear Sound

Art Williams

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 03:30:33 AM »

That's using the PM5D as a remote control surface for the DSP5d, correct?
Sorry yes...I want to remote conrtol DSP5D with traveling artists files, I have a non RH 5D, and  I am getting a DSP5D thrown in my lap. 48x24

If I patch all inputs and outputs for a guest band to the DSP5D, DSP5D connected to a non RH PM5D...will the guest file work out if it was last stored on a RH PM5D.
Or somehow load the guest show file to the DSP5D and yes remote control with my non RH 5D

I'm pretty sure this will work I'm just not sure about the walk up file "experience" if it's a tedious nightmare or simple "boop bop beep".

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 08:21:35 AM »

If your guest engineer has a 5D showfile, there is a good chance that he already knows the ropes of this setup.  That has been the case every time for me at least... Thankfully.   

There really shouldn't need to be any repatching providing you use the IO of the DSP5D and not the 5D. When the DSP5D is selected inside of the 5D non RH the experience in seamless enough that you don't need to fiddle with mutch. Remember, the processing is all happening in the DSP5D, so there is no need to send audio back to the 5D which is now simply just a control surface.  The per channel gain is controlled exactly where it is on a regular 5D... This specific knob defaults to digital trim on a 5D-non RH.

I will mention again that the sound is "different" so make sure plenty of time is allocated during sound check to sort things out if possible.  My last go round with this setup was in a throw and go festival situation. And the first couple of songs the engineer really had to tweek to get things sounding right.  Most of his changes involved opening up compressors a little bit as the sound was quite squashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 10:28:05 AM »

If your guest engineer has a 5D showfile, there is a good chance that he already knows the ropes of this setup.  That has been the case every time for me at least... Thankfully.   

There really shouldn't need to be any repatching providing you use the IO of the DSP5D and not the 5D. When the DSP5D is selected inside of the 5D non RH the experience in seamless enough that you don't need to fiddle with mutch. Remember, the processing is all happening in the DSP5D, so there is no need to send audio back to the 5D which is now simply just a control surface.  The per channel gain is controlled exactly where it is on a regular 5D... This specific knob defaults to digital trim on a 5D-non RH.

I will mention again that the sound is "different" so make sure plenty of time is allocated during sound check to sort things out if possible.  My last go round with this setup was in a throw and go festival situation. And the first couple of songs the engineer really had to tweek to get things sounding right.  Most of his changes involved opening up compressors a little bit as the sound was quite squashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t think I will ever encounter this situation, I haven’t used a PM5D (it was an RH) in years but I am curious. When you say this setup will sound different is it better sounding then a PM5D is it more like a PM5DRH or different then both of those? Good different or bad different or something else?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 11:12:46 AM »

I don’t think I will ever encounter this situation, I haven’t used a PM5D (it was an RH) in years but I am curious. When you say this setup will sound different is it better sounding then a PM5D is it more like a PM5DRH or different then both of those? Good different or bad different or something else?

It will sound different than a PM5D (non RH) because it has the RH preamps. It should not sound different than an RH AFAIK.

Mac

Scott Helmke

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 11:27:58 AM »

It will sound different than a PM5D (non RH) because it has the RH preamps. It should not sound different than an RH AFAIK.

But if the BE is expecting a PM5D-RH and gets a DSP5D then it should sound exactly the same. The non-RH board is just there as a control surface.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »

But if the BE is expecting a PM5D-RH and gets a DSP5D then it should sound exactly the same. The non-RH board is just there as a control surface.

I'm pretty sure that's what I said.

Mac

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 06:49:13 PM »

I cannot say definitively as I have not mixed extensively on the three different versions of 5D's.  Just like the OP, the production company I work for has a 5D - non RH, and some engineers would not accept that during the advance.  On a few occasions we have rented in the DSP5D for engineers that need the re-callable pre's.  So my cautionary statements of differences originate from comments, (from numerous different engineers) about the inconsistencies between the units. 
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 06:49:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.