ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?  (Read 25220 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 12:02:51 AM »

I have one of those systems too.. a single XLR transmitter with 6 XLR receivers all 2.4gHz. I just did an event in a large open exhibition building where the far receivers were at least 100' away and it went flawlessly for the duration of the event.. about 5hrs. There were probably 200ppl in the building at any one time and every single one of them had a cell phone in their hand.

The Chinese XLR's with the RX/TX built in (they are both the same board) that I have use the 900Mhz ISM band and would not be bothered by cell phone induced wifi chatter.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 12:03:16 PM »

While perhaps slightly more expensive than Chinese TX/RX units, I've been using the City Theatrical SHoW Baby/5/6 with great success. They give me a bit more confidence in the wireless dmx usage than a comparable Chinese variant. I have looked into the Donner system though for smaller DJ events. Pretty cheap, looks good/reviews. We got the City Theatrical because some of our events are larger and we'd need the extra distance they provide.

http://www.amazon.com/Donner-Wireless-Receiver-Transmitter-Lighting/dp/B00HWM6DCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458576111&sr=8-1&keywords=dmx+wifi

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/504823-City-Theatrical-SHoW-Baby-6-Three-Pin ~$200-300 (depending on sale or 5/6 variant)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 12:29:47 PM »

While perhaps slightly more expensive than Chinese TX/RX units, I've been using the City Theatrical SHoW Baby/5/6 with great success. They give me a bit more confidence in the wireless dmx usage than a comparable Chinese variant. I have looked into the Donner system though for smaller DJ events. Pretty cheap, looks good/reviews. We got the City Theatrical because some of our events are larger and we'd need the extra distance they provide.

http://www.amazon.com/Donner-Wireless-Receiver-Transmitter-Lighting/dp/B00HWM6DCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458576111&sr=8-1&keywords=dmx+wifi

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/504823-City-Theatrical-SHoW-Baby-6-Three-Pin ~$200-300 (depending on sale or 5/6 variant)

I also use the city theatrical system at important gigs and think they work great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Allred

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 01:14:41 PM »

I have looked into the Donner system though for smaller DJ events. Pretty cheap, looks good/reviews.

Donner is also Chinese made.  Maybe a higher quality (at least costs more), but who knows.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 03:45:58 AM »

Donner is also Chinese made.  Maybe a higher quality (at least costs more), but who knows.

The Donner looks the same as all the Chinese knock offs.  Do you mind taking one apart and posting a pic of the board and lets find out if there is any difference?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 06:38:41 AM »

The Donner looks the same as all the Chinese knock offs.  Do you mind taking one apart and posting a pic of the board and lets find out if there is any difference?

I only know that because of research.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 11:07:42 AM »

I bought a triplet of the Blizzard WiCicle units, (newer design w/o antenna and light on the end) and used them with a couple Chauvet fixtures and a Blizzard WiFi DMX Kontrol controller.

As others noted with the Chinese knockoffs, the Blizzard is either a receiver or transmitter based on what it sees.

With the Chauvet fixtures, the lowest DMX unit always wanted to be the master - nothing in the lights config to prevent - and the WiCicle transceiver would switch randomly from receive mode to transmit mode and foul up the desired effects.

Granted, I was mixing and matching brands - and it did not work well for me - the entire control system, an expensive mistake.  Probably fine with Blizzard lights that are designed to work with them. I would prefer a means to force the transceiver into trans or receive mode rather than letting it choose.

To be honest, I was not thrilled with the build quality of the WiCicle.

YMMV.

frank

David Allred

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »

I just received one transmitter and 4 receivers (the newer lighted end ones).  Paid $120 shipped from Cali.  Haven't done a max distance yet, but approx 40' through 4 walls.  No major testing.  Just made color changes and walked to the other end of the house to confirm.  No problems to report, except the power socket is crooked on all of them, but still plugs in.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2016, 12:23:47 AM »

I just received one transmitter and 4 receivers (the newer lighted end ones).  Paid $120 shipped from Cali.  Haven't done a max distance yet, but approx 40' through 4 walls.  No major testing.  Just made color changes and walked to the other end of the house to confirm.  No problems to report, except the power socket is crooked on all of them, but still plugs in.

Of what product?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Allred

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 06:47:47 AM »

Of what product?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry.  The cheap Chinese knock-offs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 06:47:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.