ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?  (Read 25222 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?
« on: March 14, 2016, 05:43:51 PM »

I have few events per year where half the battle is routing DMX cable to a few fixtures.

I see more of this coming with wedding season.

What works without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

veditor78

Re: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 05:58:01 PM »

I have few events per year where half the battle is routing DMX cable to a few fixtures.

I see more of this coming with wedding season.

What works without breaking the bank?

I just bought the Chauvet D-Fi Stream 6 and a D-Fi Hub. They worked well for me at a distance of 50' with the Stream 6 on my DJ table under a rack front cover and the Hub on the ground in a truss totem. At one point I had about 50 people between the two. I never noticed any issues.
Josh Rawls

David Buckley

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 06:40:20 PM »

I use the el-cheapo Chinese wireless DMX system, available from AliExpress.  I've got a couple of boxes, a couple of XLR pluggy things, and I've built a number of the PCB models into props.

Works just fine, uses 2.4GHz, has seven channels, will trample on WiFi on nearby channels.  Never try to go long distances with it, so something like 50 foot max, which is where I think a lot of folks come unglued. I never try to go long distances with it, so something like 50 foot max, which is where I think a lot of folks who complain about these units come unglued.  The old adage applies, a $5 cable is better than every wireless solution ever invented.

The units themselves are a bit odd; if you feed DMX into them they are a transmitter, if DMX not present they are a receiver.  Big caveat: Lots of Chinese made LED kit has master/.slave modes, and if one of these gets into master mode, it will send data out of it's DMX input.  yes, input.  The input and output XLRs are just wired in parallel to the electronics.  The wireless DMX things, if they receive DMX on their "output" plug, will become transmitters and thus jam your wireless DMX network up.  To be fair, it'll do exactly the same thing on a wired network too, but, just sayin' - there be demons.

Edited to improve clarity of opinion.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:23:20 PM by David Buckley »

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 06:52:45 PM »

I use the American Dj wifly.  Have done up to 200' line of sight with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:22:23 PM »

Enttec ODE with same Airport Exress I use for sound and Luminair software for my iPad and phone. Excellent results.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Aaron Ingersoll

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 10:45:05 PM »

My company has several American DJ WiFly Battery units. They work great. We have done over 100' numerous times and the battery has done a 12 hour event easily on a full charge. We connect a clamp and put it at the top of a truss tower when possible. We are planning on buying more this year.

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »

I use the Donner wireless system I bought on Amazon, probably the same as the Ali mention above.  Extremely pleased with it, over a dozen gigs with Zero issues.  I saw where the local circus actually used in in the arena which I was surprised by as well.  Best money I have spent, I have cables for standby but they have not come out once since I went to this setup.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 09:27:44 PM »

Chauvet DiFi 2.5.
Also their Freedom Par Hex battery uplights.
It's fabulous uplighting a whole hall without any wires!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »

Chauvet DJ just updated some lights in the SlimPAR "x" line. To the SlimPAR "x" USB. Which gives the option for their proprietary USB dongle to be plugged in. This receives the wifi from the D-Fi or Flarcon depending on your application. These lights still have DMX I/O so you can DMX out to your non wifi lights.
The FreedomPAR series is completely wireless from AC or DMX and can run up to 20 hours on a single charge if color is unchanged. 8-12 hours if strobing and/or fading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 11:40:06 PM »

I use the el-cheapo Chinese wireless DMX system, available from AliExpress. 

I have one of those systems too.. a single XLR transmitter with 6 XLR receivers all 2.4gHz. I just did an event in a large open exhibition building where the far receivers were at least 100' away and it went flawlessly for the duration of the event.. about 5hrs. There were probably 200ppl in the building at any one time and every single one of them had a cell phone in their hand.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 11:40:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.