ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?  (Read 19919 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2016, 08:56:02 PM »

for anyone who is interested, I've had it explained to me now.

the issue is that some of the cheap chinese pucks have DMX in and out sockets on them (even has the term "DMX" written on them and in the literature), but it is in fact a proprietary system. so the cables work sweet (copper is copper) but the wireless fails because they are designed to transmit 'true' dmx.. the wireless boards and the external ones are not able to xmit the proprietary protocol.  sucks that they're (the pucks) being sold with false information, but at least I know and can stop chasing the dragon on the gear I have.

"Chasing the dragon" That's a hard core reference,  no smack for you.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Garris

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »

Steve,  any update? I have been eyeing those up myself.  Still working Ok for you?

Other than the initial set up and confirming they work, no updates. I connected them between my Magic 260 and tree of (4) cheap $50 Chinese pars, and they worked just like having a cable. Other reviewers state that these units work perfectly. They have so many good reviews I went with the Donner's over some cheaper lookalikes.

David Buckley

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2016, 05:21:42 PM »

"Chasing the dragon" That's a hard core reference,  no smack for you.

This is audio, the only draggin's we should be chasing are the rushin' ones :)

Lyle Williams

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2016, 06:37:34 AM »

The little wireless DMX boards seem to transmit at 2400MHz regardless of what "channel" is set.  This means that the channel changes the modulation, rather than shifts transmissions to different frequencies.

This means that you should stay clear of WLAN channels 1&2 if you are picking a wifi channel and running wireless dmx.

If you are running 40MHz wide channels, then stay clear of channel 3 aka 1+5.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2016, 01:46:22 AM »

I use the Donner wireless system I bought on Amazon, probably the same as the Ali mention above.  Extremely pleased with it, over a dozen gigs with Zero issues.  I saw where the local circus actually used in in the arena which I was surprised by as well.  Best money I have spent, I have cables for standby but they have not come out once since I went to this setup.

We have been using this Donner system as well, by now least 10 shows with no hiccups. We also run wireless IEMs (Sennheiser EW300 G3) and one guitar uses a wireless system (Shure GLX-D) and no interference issues (so far).

Someone also asked about powering them with the DC bricks. My solution so far has been, for each bank of lights sharing one of the wireless receiver, the last light on the 110v chain gets an IEC-to-edison adapter and the DC brick plugs into that. Since that needs to be close to the receiver (wire is only a few feet long), the last light on the 110v chain is the first on the DMX chain. Not super elegant, but works well and minimizes wiring to each bank of lights. Everything zip tied to be neat.

Steve Garris

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2016, 12:38:35 PM »

We have been using this Donner system as well, by now least 10 shows with no hiccups. We also run wireless IEMs (Sennheiser EW300 G3) and one guitar uses a wireless system (Shure GLX-D) and no interference issues (so far).

Someone also asked about powering them with the DC bricks. My solution so far has been, for each bank of lights sharing one of the wireless receiver, the last light on the 110v chain gets an IEC-to-edison adapter and the DC brick plugs into that. Since that needs to be close to the receiver (wire is only a few feet long), the last light on the 110v chain is the first on the DMX chain. Not super elegant, but works well and minimizes wiring to each bank of lights. Everything zip tied to be neat.

Nice! My trees are also pre-wired so that one long IEC will power the tree of 4 lights. The Donner units I purchased are battery powered, but I'm thinking about just wiring up the brick onto the tree so that they're always charged. I'm putting the final touches on my light system, just need more programming time. I plan to post a full review here when it's complete and I have a few videos.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2016, 02:36:15 AM »

Nice! My trees are also pre-wired so that one long IEC will power the tree of 4 lights. The Donner units I purchased are battery powered, but I'm thinking about just wiring up the brick onto the tree so that they're always charged. I'm putting the final touches on my light system, just need more programming time. I plan to post a full review here when it's complete and I have a few videos.

I just bought the boards and mounted them inside the fixture.  It was easy to find +5v rail in the light.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »

The Donner units I purchased are battery powered, but I'm thinking about just wiring up the brick onto the tree so that they're always charged.

Have you any info on the expected battery life?  Not the charge life, but the battery life / cycles.   

Steve Garris

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2016, 03:27:56 PM »

Have you any info on the expected battery life?  Not the charge life, but the battery life / cycles.

No. I've read that it's a replaceable lithium battery. I'm not yet wanting to disassemble one so I  won't find out until I need one.

Steve Garris

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »

No. I've read that it's a replaceable lithium battery. I'm not yet wanting to disassemble one so I  won't find out until I need one.

UPDATE: I used my new light system for the first time at a club this weekend. The Donner wireless DMX system worked flawlessly, but there was not enough battery power to get me through a long night. I'm going to simply wire them up to a power supply so they will always be charged. I would buy the smaller non-battery powered units if I were to purchase them again.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.