ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?  (Read 25106 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2016, 01:05:24 PM »

I'm going to give these a try:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0192Y5ZUO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZA0LKMGHFMHQ&coliid=I36CN32FUY1FF5&psc=1

I received these yesterday and they work flawlessly! A 2 hour charge will provide 8 hours of use. There is a charger required at the board (transmitter), but the receivers are all battery powered - rechargeable.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2016, 05:18:10 AM »

IEC-out turned out to be a less useful feature than I expected.  In many cases the wireless box can just be powered at the end of a daisy-chain of lights.

ivan arnerich

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »

sorry for the dredge, but there really doesn't seem to be a lot of chatter (that I can find) about the ins and outs of these. I bought some of these boards. wired a couple up and got tx rx happening nicely on the LED indication, but the lights don't pass the dmx.
I'm using cheapo chinese LED quad LED par64 that work perfectly via DMX cable, but when I use the small integrated boards, no dmx passes despite the LED indicating tx and rx being successful.
so then I tried the external wifi ones thinking maybe I'd wired the others wrong but same issue... rx tx indications are good to go, but the slave stays blank.. throw in a DMX cable and it works fine, replace back with the wireless ones.. nothing.

so then I tried the same on some moving head lights I have... and the wireless works here... wat?

is there some different type of DMX for different lights? they're booth standard 3 pin xlr style.. any help gratefully received. I'm way confused

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »

I received these yesterday and they work flawlessly! A 2 hour charge will provide 8 hours of use. There is a charger required at the board (transmitter), but the receivers are all battery powered - rechargeable.

Steve,  any update? I have been eyeing those up myself.  Still working Ok for you?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 04:19:45 PM »

sorry for the dredge I'm way confused

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2016, 04:47:25 PM »

IEC-out turned out to be a less useful feature than I expected.  In many cases the wireless box can just be powered at the end of a daisy-chain of lights.

Steve, I think I chimed in on Lyle's initial thread.  I bought a box full of the same boards from China.  I built them into bud boxes, into fixtures and have the XLR version.

I think the data rate of DMX is so slow that they can take a boat load of adjacent channel interference.  I have had useless wifi and those ISM radio just keep chugging along.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ivan arnerich

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2016, 04:59:32 PM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
whoops.. sorry.
shame that the response to the question is an infringement rather than advice on my situation though

Lyle Williams

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2016, 06:30:45 AM »

The little wireless boards (and their xlr-enclosed cousins) will flick from receive to transmit if they ever hear an inbound signal on the wired side.  As Scott mentioned in an earlier post, pressing buttons on light fixtures is likely to trigger the transmission of DMX data and force the local wireless unit from receive to transmit.  Power it off then on to make it a receiver again, then don't push buttons on a receiving fixture.

If you are working with the PCBs, make sure that DMX+ and DMX- are not transposed.

The colour coding on the wires didn't exactly match my expected standards, and the pin numbering on the diagram I received was backwards.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2016, 06:42:19 AM »

The little wireless boards (and their xlr-enclosed cousins) will flick from receive to transmit if they ever hear an inbound signal on the wired side.  As Scott mentioned in an earlier post, pressing buttons on light fixtures is likely to trigger the transmission of DMX data and force the local wireless unit from receive to transmit.  Power it off then on to make it a receiver again, then don't push buttons on a receiving fixture.

If you are working with the PCBs, make sure that DMX+ and DMX- are not transposed.

The colour coding on the wires didn't exactly match my expected standards, and the pin numbering on the diagram I received was backwards.

Agree, documentation was awful.  I got it working then took a picture.

I have been thinking about putting diodes on the data lines to stop the random switch to tx mode.  I can't think of a reason it would not work.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ivan arnerich

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »

for anyone who is interested, I've had it explained to me now.

the issue is that some of the cheap chinese pucks have DMX in and out sockets on them (even has the term "DMX" written on them and in the literature), but it is in fact a proprietary system. so the cables work sweet (copper is copper) but the wireless fails because they are designed to transmit 'true' dmx.. the wireless boards and the external ones are not able to xmit the proprietary protocol.  sucks that they're (the pucks) being sold with false information, but at least I know and can stop chasing the dragon on the gear I have.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.