ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?  (Read 19627 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Wireless DMX choices for lounge level budgets?
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 04:59:18 pm »

I just did a little experiment with my cheap chinese wireless system, setup 10 pucks and linked them together with a mix of DMX cable and mic cable and put a wireless receiver on the first unit in the chain. With this powered up and the Rx unit sync'd with the transmitter attached to my hardware controller but no scene selected there was random flashing from half of fixtures, some were sitting on a static color, some were blacked out with "slave" showing on the display. But as soon as a DMX terminator was installed on the last fixture they all blacked out and the displays showed the DMX address they were programmed with. And when running a program they all followed it flawlessly. In the past I have run hardwired lighting systems over some pretty good lengths of mic cable including down a 150ft snake and had no problem even without a terminator, but it would seem a terminator is not optional with these wireless systems.

I do have an issue with the system though, I have four 1m Tri LED bars that the wireless system does not work with at all, I get no response from the fixtures and there is no indication in the display that they are even receiving a DMX signal. The fixtures do work when hardwired to the controller however so something is going on, I put a scope on one of the Rx units and noticed there is no signal on Pin2 unlike the controller which has signals on both pins 2 and 3, and the hardware controller also produces more p-p voltage at the output than the wireless units, so I don't know if it's the absence of the differential signal on pin2 or the lower voltage level that is a problem for these fixtures. Anyway.. just figured I'd share what I found.

David Allred

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 07:52:39 pm »

I also did a follow-up test with my Chinese wireless.  Only one receiver on one light.  At 150' (and through a glass bay window) I had no problems.  At 170'  signal would be lost intermittently.   The light and receiver happened to be beyond a slight crown in the yard so the line of sight had earth in the way.  I raised the light and set on a bucket.  Now no problem at 170' (add one wall and a sheet of sheet metal that is my wood heater wall shield).  Added another 25' of extension cord.  So these work to at least 200'  if no significant solids are blocking. 

I didn't expect that.

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 09:15:38 pm »

The new ETC Color Source Relay look pretty nice.  They are under $300 or so per unit.  I will be taking ownership of a few in a couple of weeks.  ETC said they are based on the Show DMX by City Theatrical so it is compatible with any of that line.  You can't really beat the name ETC.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 09:44:40 am »

Dragging this one back from the dead...

How do people find the DC plugpack/wallwart mess with these wireless units?

I'm really not attracted by plugpacks, and that is pushing me towards the cheapest of the solutions, the bare PCBs wired into lights.  $10/light.  I'm guessing that the skinny PCBs are the same ones inside the XLR versions.

Steve Garris

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 08:56:22 pm »

Dragging this one back from the dead...

How do people find the DC plugpack/wallwart mess with these wireless units?

I'm really not attracted by plugpacks, and that is pushing me towards the cheapest of the solutions, the bare PCBs wired into lights.  $10/light.  I'm guessing that the skinny PCBs are the same ones inside the XLR versions.

I'm going to give these a try:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0192Y5ZUO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZA0LKMGHFMHQ&coliid=I36CN32FUY1FF5&psc=1

Nanowhite

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 04:51:05 am »

I have few events per year where half the battle is routing DMX cable to a few fixtures.

I see more of this coming with wedding season.

What works without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am doing a tender for a hotel planning to make an LED wall of 30M X 15M, I know LED but not DMX, anything that can share?

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 10:54:20 am »

I've been using the ADJ WiFly powered and battery units for a while now. They work great. The batteries last a long time.

I also have the ADJ WiFly WLC16 controller. Runs 8 movers and 8 static RGBA wash lights. Really simple set up.
MAGA-Make Audio Great Again

Lyle Williams

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 07:11:35 pm »

These are the ones I have ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-DMX512-PCB-Modules-Board-LED-Controller-Transmitter-Receiver-E3-001-/171373503619?hash=item27e6a82483:g:yBQAAOSwEK9TsUTX

I'm just trying to avoid the plug-pack jungle.

It'll be about a month before they are here and fitted into my lights.

I have had very good luck with that board.  It must be so narrow in never seems to get stepped on by the wifi.

The only caveat is you will note it's a RX and a TX.  If you send it data it will talk.  It took me a little while to figure this out.  The key is if you flip through the menu and the fixture sends a blip of data the board will switch to TX mode.  It is important that you leave the fixture in DMX512 mode.

If I had to do it all over again I would put a reset push button that reset the radio and interrupted the data.  Also if you put a pair of diodes in series with the data lines that would keep them from receiving any data.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Lyle Williams

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 10:33:21 pm »

I was planning to install a switch on the data lines to allow the board to be isolated from the XLR/wired-DMX.  It might be better just to use the switch to control power to the board.

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, another plugpack-free option might have been to use the xlr-dongles but run a little DC power cable out from inside each light case.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 10:33:21 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.