ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Hanging Speakers  (Read 15386 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Hanging Speakers
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 12:31:41 PM »

Aliaha, what about all the other diacussion?  It's almost like you ignored it.

Have we convinced you that nobody should fly any of those speakers? 

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »

David...

You are not totally incorrect, but you have to add that any such auxiliary support MUST be accompanied by an engineering certificate from a licensed structural engineer.

And all-thread is NOT rated for this use.

Please do not encourage folks to do work-arounds like this.  It is irresponsible.

By those standards, wood is not rated either.  Nor the nails, glue, screws holding a roof structure together.

Are you sure threaded rod is not designed to suspend a load?  McMaster Carr has a lot of industrial roof structure clamps and fixtures that use threaded rod for suspension.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 01:20:08 PM »

By those standards, wood is not rated either.  Nor the nails, glue, screws holding a roof structure together.
Most building codes specify the minimum width and maximum length  beam need to span a certain distance between supports, hold up so much height weight etc, same with nails etc.  Just because a wooden beams doesn't have a sticker on it saying "Only use for 12' spans or less" doesn't mean there isn't a rating system.  My brother-in-law is self contracting an addition on to his house, and he's limited it to 14 feet from the current structure because the beams must be larger if he goes past that.

Alisha Blanchard

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »

Aliaha, what about all the other diacussion?  It's almost like you ignored it.

Have we convinced you that nobody should fly any of those speakers?

I believe that is what I have stated.  Here is a copy of what I've previously said....
(I will present all of the info to those I have who help me with these things and see where we go from there....meaning leaving the speakers where they are, which I really don't like, or maybe getting other speakers made to be hung.  Thanks!)

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »

forget hanging them . leave the JBL JRX100s on either side of the stage on sticks
its not a critical listening environment.
    lay the Yorkvilles sideways in the middle of the stage front, end to end  horn to horns touching.
separate eq amp powering them  adjust to volume just enough for that area and eq needed...........done
of course we could get more technical with delays, eqs incompatible brands, whatever.
but for the most part it will be fine for the purpose.
besides it'll give the musicians a cool place  put lyrics or song lists .........yea
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 02:07:32 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 05:23:08 PM »

forget hanging them . leave the JBL JRX100s on either side of the stage on sticks
its not a critical listening environment.
    lay the Yorkvilles sideways in the middle of the stage front, end to end  horn to horns touching.
separate eq amp powering them  adjust to volume just enough for that area and eq needed...........done
of course we could get more technical with delays, eqs incompatible brands, whatever.
but for the most part it will be fine for the purpose.
besides it'll give the musicians a cool place  put lyrics or song lists .........yea

Who are we to tell the OP what is a critical listening environment or not? Or do you know something about the intended purpose more then what the OP has posted about it?

And she did not say the speakers are on stands right now anyways.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 05:57:52 PM »

Are you sure threaded rod is not designed to suspend a load?  McMaster Carr has a lot of industrial roof structure clamps and fixtures that use threaded rod for suspension.

The danger here is that folks like the OP only see your recommendation of "all thread" without any mention of the grade, the necessity of getting a certificate from an engineer, etc.

What YOU would do and take responsibility/liability for is one thing.  Recommending DIY options to a church trying to get by on a budget is another.

Alisha...

You could have your board check with your insurance carrier to see exactly what certifications they require for your liability coverage to remain in effect.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:41:40 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »

Certainly all thread is used to suspend all sorts of things, including the giant air handlers at the Wal Mart.  As discussed that was done to code and signed off on by an engineer.  Big difference from DIY.

Also the non critical is a fair assumption with the JRX's and youth room application though I did not see Alicia clearly say they were trying to fix a coverage problem.

Perhaps now that we have made her painfully aware that the JRX'S are the bottom of the JBL for chain and  not worthy of Mr. Lansing's initials and that hanging anything is best left to those insured and schooled in doing so we should get this thread on track and ask what her group is trying to accomplish.  That way instead of playing 20 questions we can give a meaningful recommendation.

Please describe what problem you are trying to solve.  Make sure you include room dimensions, including ceiling height. equipment on hand, skill level of operators and type of program to be played at what level...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 07:25:28 PM »

the point is kids are Not that critical about sound
she knows she needs a professional  to hang the cabinets
why  Belabor the point on and on and on.
I'm sure the cabinets arent sitting on the floor
maybe on a stand , table ,chair ,box whatever
  sorry I did not get that exactly right
she needs sound around the center this will basically do that.
 Man, lighten up

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:30:35 PM by lindsay Dean »

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »

the point is in a perfect world we would all get professionally hung
perfectly placed
Pristine sound.
 sometimes you just want something that will work ok for the Time being.
 I rest my case😊

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.