ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Hanging Speakers  (Read 10437 times)

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Hanging Speakers
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 05:38:31 pm »

Jeeze, I hate being "that guy"...

http://yorkville.com/downloads/specsheet/ss_yx15p.pdf?v=1385672247

Added: To be somewhat helpful, it would appear that the Yorkville NX Series has "Integrated Fly-Points", which is the phrase you would be looking for when determining if a speaker is right for this application.  And of course Dick (below) brings in the rest of the equation.  Having the correct product is only one part of this task.  How you're suspending it and what you're suspending it from as well as who is performing this work and how qualified they are to being doing so, are just as important if not more.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 05:53:06 pm by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 05:43:11 pm »

Alisha...

Hanging such loads in public spaces is strictly regulated as to engineering and hardware and should only be done by licensed, bonded EXPERIENCED installers.  The main issues are SAFETY and INSURABILITY.

That said, neither the JBL's or the Yorkvilles are rated to be suspended/flown. 

Please do not assume you can slide by bt being "careful".  The only way to do this is to hire a professional installer with proper experience, license and resume.

Get 3 bids...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Alisha Blanchard

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 05:51:29 pm »

Thanks for all of the inputs! I really do appreciate it.  I'm just doing the research on what we have, and what I would like done.  Thanks again!

I promise I am not hanging any speakers. There are qualified men in the church to do that. ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:06:34 pm by Alisha Blanchard »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 07:11:55 pm »

The pattern control on any horn as small as, and shaped as those are, will "flip" at a certain frequency.  At almost no frequency will it actually be 90 x 50.  That just the nature (physics) of small rectangular horns.
Actually any size horn will have pattern flip at some freq-it just depends on the size and the freq.

Now if the horn is large enough, it could maintain pattern control throughout its freq range.  But when it transitions to the woofer the pattern will be omni (assuming a front loaded woofer).  So the real pattern is NOT what the spec is-but only over some of the freq range.

For example-for a 50* pattern and a crossover point of 1Khz, the horn will have to be 20" in that dimension.

Most are on the order of 8" or so.  Which means it is only 50* down to 2500Hz.  Below that it will start to get wider.

So the pattern will only be effective ABOVE the speech range

Not exactly where people want or believe it to be working
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 07:55:57 pm »

I promise I am not hanging any speakers. There are qualified men in the church to do that. ;)

To re-iterate what Dick said:
Hanging such loads in public spaces is strictly regulated as to engineering and hardware and should only be done by licensed, bonded EXPERIENCED installers.  The main issues are SAFETY and INSURABILITY.

Sooooo please be That Person who speaks up and questions things. PLEASE make sure these gentleman are experienced at doing this. Rigging, and electrical, are the two big things in the production or install world that MUST be done correctly (or not at all) - if these 'qualified men' in the church make a mistake, will they have insurance that will cover injured/killed person(s)?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 08:11:30 pm »

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but all my female friends and coworkers who can the rig, and hang things on the regular, are cringing that you said the men would hang the speakers.  As If somehow tits disqaualifies women from doing work. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 10:31:27 am »

Thanks for all of the inputs! I really do appreciate it.  I'm just doing the research on what we have, and what I would like done.  Thanks again!

Alisha...

Neither of these speakers are designed and rated for overhead hanging.  Should ANYONE hang them it is certain that your insurance will not cover them.  This would be unethical, poor stewardship and just plain WRONG.

DO NOT DO THIS.

David Allred

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 11:13:33 am »

They may not can be "flown" but they could be supported on a shelf (strapped on) from above.  It might not be practical in your space, and the final appearance is up to the powers that be.
I have also seen extremes where a non-flyable cab has holes drilled through (top to bottom), all-thread run completely through and sandwiched (could be inside and out).  This is one of those, it can be done scenarios, but how much effort (time & money) are you willing to put in to a "work around".

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 11:28:31 am »

They may not can be "flown" but they could be supported on a shelf (strapped on) from above.  It might not be practical in your space, and the final appearance is up to the powers that be.
I have also seen extremes where a non-flyable cab has holes drilled through (top to bottom), all-thread run completely through and sandwiched (could be inside and out).  This is one of those, it can be done scenarios, but how much effort (time & money) are you willing to put in to a "work around".

David...

You are not totally incorrect, but you have to add that any such auxiliary support MUST be accompanied by an engineering certificate from a licensed structural engineer.

And all-thread is NOT rated for this use.

Please do not encourage folks to do work-arounds like this.  It is irresponsible.

Alisha Blanchard

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 12:25:04 pm »

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but all my female friends and coworkers who can the rig, and hang things on the regular, are cringing that you said the men would hang the speakers.  As If somehow tits disqaualifies women from doing work. 

I promise that is not what I was saying.  What I was saying is I am not qualified for such work.  If I was, I would handle it myself.  I see something I would like done, I do the research, and then I present that research to those who are qualified, and they just so happen to be men.

Again, thanks to all of you for the input.  I was not implying I would still get the speakers hung.  I realize when something is being read, you can only see what is written; therefore, things are taken seriously.  I am getting the info.  I will present all of the info to those I have who help me with these things and see where we go from there....meaning leaving the speakers where they are, which I really don't like, or maybe getting other speakers made to be hung.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:32:30 pm by Alisha Blanchard »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 12:25:04 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.