ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha QL preamp sharing  (Read 8355 times)

Guy Morris

Re: Yamaha QL preamp sharing
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 11:28:18 AM »

Well, not entirely true. Many consoles use a system whereby one console is the "master" and has HA control, while others "compensate" via digital attenuation/gain.
The Yamaha system has no "Master" console, in that all consoles (well, 4 of them anyway) can change the gain but all receivers (consoles/RIOs/DVS, etc.) will be sent a compensated signal. Changing the HA gain only changes the S/N ratio, not the level for any attached device, when GC is enabled.

This really explains the Yamaha way well. I steered clear of digital snakes (compromised because of gain changes)) and used an analogue split (still useful if different digital protocols are being used) but when I got some QL desks life was made a whole lot simpler,there really is nothing bad to say it simply works. FOH and Monitors can work independently with no issues when GC is on.
Having a method is key, as FOH I take the lead in setting up the gain structure per channel and then switch the desk to GC then Monitors can start dialling in to suit their requirements, any adjustments they then make to the HA (eg for Iems) do not affect FOH settings etc. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:43:57 AM by Guy Morris »

Lyngard Ebanks

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 07:29:57 PM »

Well, not entirely true. Many consoles use a system whereby one console is the "master" and has HA control, while others "compensate" via digital attenuation/gain.
The Yamaha system has no "Master" console, in that all consoles (well, 4 of them anyway) can change the gain but all receivers (consoles/RIOs/DVS, etc.) will be sent a compensated signal. Changing the HA gain only changes the S/N ratio, not the level for any attached device, when GC is enabled.

Please allow me to put a simple question to you Pro's,  Are the Mic Pre-amps, Channel EQ's and FX of the QL-5 better than those of the M7CL console ?
Thanks in advance.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 08:17:02 PM »

Please allow me to put a simple question to you Pro's,  Are the Mic Pre-amps, Channel EQ's and FX of the QL-5 better than those of the M7CL console ?
Thanks in advance.

Yes. Everything is better. The only downside is the QL doesn't have 60 faders. But it can have a digital snake.

Mac

Lyngard Ebanks

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 11:39:36 PM »

Yes. Everything is better. The only downside is the QL doesn't have 60 faders. But it can have a digital snake.

Mac

Thanks for your quick response and info.    Regards

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 11:39:36 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 26 queries.