ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gasket Leak on Sub cabinet  (Read 2743 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Gasket Leak on Sub cabinet
« on: March 10, 2016, 06:47:19 PM »

I was getting a strange rattling sound from one of my JBL 618S-XLF's while testing with a tone generator at 40 Hz.  I tracked the sound to what seems to be a leak in the seal between the amp module and the cabinet.  The module has a gasket but JBL does not show the gasket or list it as a separate part# on their website.  I am awaiting a response from them, but in the meantime I am wondering if some sort of liquid gasket like the kind used by auto mechanics would solve the problem.  It would have to be some sort of substance that would allow future removal of the module and not glue it in place.  Any suggestions?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Gasket Leak on Sub cabinet
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:52:32 PM »

RTV, or maybe ask the manufacturer's customer service for advice.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:15:46 PM »

I was getting a strange rattling sound from one of my JBL 618S-XLF's while testing with a tone generator at 40 Hz.  I tracked the sound to what seems to be a leak in the seal between the amp module and the cabinet.  The module has a gasket but JBL does not show the gasket or list it as a separate part# on their website.  I am awaiting a response from them, but in the meantime I am wondering if some sort of liquid gasket like the kind used by auto mechanics would solve the problem.  It would have to be some sort of substance that would allow future removal of the module and not glue it in place.  Any suggestions?

You could try Permatex Moto Seal Grey. It tends to come apart easier than some of the other RTV I've used. I can't imagine it would be any more or less difficult to get apart than silicone or latex caulk though.

I've used closed cell weatherstripping in the past as a speaker gasket replacement. 

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »

put a piece of electrical tape down, first, then a small bead of RTV. I'd go with weatherstripping first.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I decided to get the replacement gaskets from JBL. Problem solved.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:47:31 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.