ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: low-profile lightweight headset for TR-800  (Read 4794 times)

Andrew Outlaw

low-profile lightweight headset for TR-800
« on: March 10, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »

I have had a couple of clients asking for a lightweight headset that only goes over one ear (no wrap around, either on top of or behind head). My client this week, ideally, would have liked to have an earwig style piece with a microphone for the TR-800 belt pack. However, I can't seem to find anything like that online. Maybe I could make an adapter to the 4-pin xlr connector for an earwig piece or something like the cc-25 or hs4-3 headsets.

My question is: Are there offerings available I'm just not aware of, and if not, what is the feasibility of using one of those small clear com headsets for helix or HME by using an adapter? I'm sure I could figure out wiring, but are there impedance or level differences that would make that not-so-simple or completely unworkable?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: low-profile lightweight headset for TR-800
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 02:11:03 PM »

I have had a couple of clients asking for a lightweight headset that only goes over one ear (no wrap around, either on top of or behind head). My client this week, ideally, would have liked to have an earwig style piece with a microphone for the TR-800 belt pack. However, I can't seem to find anything like that online. Maybe I could make an adapter to the 4-pin xlr connector for an earwig piece or something like the cc-25 or hs4-3 headsets.

My question is: Are there offerings available I'm just not aware of, and if not, what is the feasibility of using one of those small clear com headsets for helix or HME by using an adapter? I'm sure I could figure out wiring, but are there impedance or level differences that would make that not-so-simple or completely unworkable?

ClearCom makes the CC-27 headset.  Boom is a nice gooseneck and works on either side of the head.  The mount goes around the head but you might be able to make a clip for 1 ear.

My personal Favorite is the Sensaphonics TC-1000 which uses a molded in ear piece.  I wear it all day and never know it's there.  It is pricey at $600 but worth it.  In uses a small box with an AA Battery for the condenser mic and has a coiled cord to the Beltpack.  Convenient if you need to switch your headset to another pack to test.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:20:13 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 08:32:48 PM »

For corporate low profile stuff, I use a bluetooth ear piece from plantronics, and a Jk Audio Blueset. I like it, and think if I had a slightly better bluetooth earset I would love it....

Worth checking out if the visual is important.  With a wireless beltpack and a suit jacket, I just look like some asshole that won't get off the phone...  which I'm totally ok with...

Andrew Outlaw

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »

ClearCom makes the CC-27 headset

Yeah Pete, that was actually my first thought, and it was the only thing I could get ahold of on short notice, but they hated it. That's a good idea on making a single ear clip, I didn't have the time or materials to on site, but that might be a good idea for the future.

Thanks for the info on the sensaphonics. It is a little pricey, but if it makes them happy thats something to look into (might look into one of those for myself even).

For corporate low profile stuff, I use a bluetooth ear piece from plantronics, and a Jk Audio Blueset. I like it, and think if I had a slightly better bluetooth earset I would love it....

Worth checking out if the visual is important.  With a wireless beltpack and a suit jacket, I just look like some asshole that won't get off the phone...  which I'm totally ok with...

That is probably the money right there! It hadn't even occurred to me to look for a product like that. Do you ever experience dropouts or interference with it?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:18:57 PM »

Yeah Pete, that was actually my first thought, and it was the only thing I could get ahold of on short notice, but they hated it. That's a good idea on making a single ear clip, I didn't have the time or materials to on site, but that might be a good idea for the future.

Thanks for the info on the sensaphonics. It is a little pricey, but if it makes them happy thats something to look into (might look into one of those for myself even).

That is probably the money right there! It hadn't even occurred to me to look for a product like that. Do you ever experience dropouts or interference with it?

It sometimes takes a couple tries to pair on power up but I don't experience drop outs.  In a traditional belt pack situation I can get 30' from the belt pack and still listen with acceptable quality. 

I have a gigantic head so anything that doesn't squeeze it makes me super happy.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 01:05:54 PM »

It sometimes takes a couple tries to pair on power up but I don't experience drop outs.  In a traditional belt pack situation I can get 30' from the belt pack and still listen with acceptable quality. 

I have a gigantic head so anything that doesn't squeeze it makes me super happy.

I have JK Blueset and am not satisfied with the audio quality - listening is OK but talking very garbled.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 01:15:05 PM »

I have JK Blueset and am not satisfied with the audio quality - listening is OK but talking very garbled.

Pete, I found I had to use a Bluetooth 4.0 headset...  I tried an earpiece with aptx technology and found it to be the best but have lived with a 4.0 plantronics voyager legend and been ok.  I high noise environments I found there isn't enough isolation in the ear for me to hear well...  But talking is ok.  It will never be as good as wired...

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 03:38:04 PM »

Pete, I found I had to use a Bluetooth 4.0 headset...  I tried an earpiece with aptx technology and found it to be the best but have lived with a 4.0 plantronics voyager legend and been ok.  I high noise environments I found there isn't enough isolation in the ear for me to hear well...  But talking is ok.  It will never be as good as wired...

Probably was a cheep headset.

This is another BT headset which is built into a Dave Clark.  Works really well which it should for $450.00
http://www.sampsonracing.com/Hearing-Protection-Headset-Bluetooth-High-Noise-p/h502-single-unit.htm

They also sell a high power BT for $900

Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 04:34:54 PM »

While not exactly what you are asking for, check out Point Source Audio's intercom products.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:52:20 PM by Mac Kerr »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 04:34:54 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.