ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing PA Mains with Peavey SSE 12 Speakers  (Read 8892 times)

Armando Ramos

Replacing PA Mains with Peavey SSE 12 Speakers
« on: March 05, 2016, 11:54:29 PM »

Hi,

My Pastor is wanting to replace our old EAW FR129z speakers (painted white) with white Peavey SSE 12 Sanctuary Series 12" speakers. What are your opinions? Is are these speakers comparable? If not, what would you all recommend (speakers must be white)?

Thanks!

Irvin Pribadi

Re: Replacing PA Mains with Peavey SSE 12 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 12:37:18 AM »

Armando,
Before we compare speakers, perhaps a good exercise is to examine the audio needs of the church.
An upgrade opportunity typically is something that doesn't happen too often, better do it right = do it once.

How is the room? What is the system used for? Any known problems?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »

Hi,

My Pastor is wanting to replace our old EAW FR129z speakers (painted white) with white Peavey SSE 12 Sanctuary Series 12" speakers. What are your opinions? Is are these speakers comparable? If not, what would you all recommend (speakers must be white)?

Thanks!
Why does he want to replace them with something "comparable"

He needs to spend some money?

The MUST be a reason he wants to replace the current speakers.

If you replace them with something that is similar-what is the point?

The FIRST question I would ask is WHY does he want to replace them.

Then look at a solution for THAT-without regard to whether the speakers are comparable or not.

Of course there is no way to offer any sort of suggestions-because we know NOTHING about your room-other than what speakers are currently in there.

We don't know where they are placed-the size of the room-the style of worship etc.

There is NO WAY ANYBODY can offer any sort of suggestion until those and other questions are properly answered.

Sorry-but that is the reality.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 09:38:17 PM »

Craziness. They are essentially the same kind of speaker, but about 12 steps down the quality ladder.

I want to change my brown volvo for a tan honda. Should I do it?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Armando Ramos

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 11:21:55 AM »

Craziness. They are essentially the same kind of speaker, but about 12 steps down the quality ladder.

I want to change my brown volvo for a tan honda. Should I do it?

Tim,

I'm new to sound, which is why I'm reaching out to you all here. Can you give me your advice without your sarcasm?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 12:35:08 PM »

Tim,

I'm new to sound, which is why I'm reaching out to you all here. Can you give me your advice without your sarcasm?
I would ask again-WHY is he wanting to change?

And if they were the same-why change for the same thing?

The color doesn't matter.  What you are interested in is coverage-response-SPL etc.

We need to know YOUR needs and problems FIRST.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Armando Ramos

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »

I would ask again-WHY is he wanting to change?

And if they were the same-why change for the same thing?

The color doesn't matter.  What you are interested in is coverage-response-SPL etc.

We need to know YOUR needs and problems FIRST.

Hi Ivan,

The reason my Pastor wants to upgrade/replace the main speakers is they are sounding more and more muffled after 10 years of use.

I didn't mean to sound vague. I don't know very much about speakers and didn't know which follow up questions to ask my Pastor or what to ask here.

Here's some background information about the building:
  • It sits about 200 people
  • The building is 75 x 50

Also, the speakers are mounted to the side of walls. I have attached a photo that shows the placement of the speakers.

Thanks again for your feedback!

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »

Hi end drivers bad? can you play them at low volume and get up to the speaker to see if you can hear "treble" , hi end coming from each cab ?
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Armando Ramos

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »

Hi end drivers bad? can you play them at low volume and get up to the speaker to see if you can hear "treble" , hi end coming from each cab ?

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to try what you suggested and will report my findings.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »

The drivers are readily available for the high end  .
you can replace the entire hi end driver  heres a link
.http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/072392-EAW-Eastern-Acoustic-Wrks-803047?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=COHWvLmhr8sCFQgoaQodc2AI7Q
not rocket science to replace .
Or send them off to have the diaphragm replaced.

you do need to determine what might have blown them.
if that is indeed the issue
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »

And to state what may be perfectly obvious to some of us, but perhaps not Armando, since he is new to this, speakers sound should not change with age (reasonably, which 10 years is) if components are not failed/failing.   It's always (almost) cheaper to repair than replace.

For regulars I realize there are some broad generalizations there that don't always apply...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armando Ramos

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 06:38:07 PM »

And to state what may be perfectly obvious to some of us, but perhaps not Armando, since he is new to this, speakers sound should not change with age (reasonably, which 10 years is) if components are not failed/failing.   It's always (almost) cheaper to repair than replace.

For regulars I realize there are some broad generalizations there that don't always apply...

Thanks Cailen for the suggestion!

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 09:56:21 AM »

Armando,

Are those Impulse 1015s on the floor either side of the pulpit?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 10:10:43 AM »

Tim,

That's an analogy and as such is valid.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »

That's an analogy and as such is valid.

The sarcasm is also provided free of charge.

Out of curiosity just what are your expectations?  You come in and ask about a pair of speakers out of context.  After numerous exchanges you finally divulge the problem that the original speakers have degraded in performance.   Then you also disclose you have no knowledge of audio.

Certainly questions from "newbies" are welcome if you want to learn but it looks to me like you are simply trying to solve the problem yourself and not engage a professional.

You have already been told replacing a pair of quality speakers with some, at best, middle of the road consumer level equipment is a bad idea. 

Fixing the speakers you have is the most economic solution  Hiring a local sound company to do this for you will assure a good result.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Armando Ramos

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 01:32:02 PM »

The sarcasm is also provided free of charge.

Out of curiosity just what are your expectations?  You come in and ask about a pair of speakers out of context.  After numerous exchanges you finally divulge the problem that the original speakers have degraded in performance.   Then you also disclose you have no knowledge of audio.

Certainly questions from "newbies" are welcome if you want to learn but it looks to me like you are simply trying to solve the problem yourself and not engage a professional.

You have already been told replacing a pair of quality speakers with some, at best, middle of the road consumer level equipment is a bad idea. 

Fixing the speakers you have is the most economic solution  Hiring a local sound company to do this for you will assure a good result.

Hi Scott,

You're right, I was trying to fix the problem on my own.

As for my exceptions, I wanted answers but I realize that my original question was extremely vague and out of context and I shouldn't have smarted-off when someone pointed that out.

I want to apologize (especially to Tim) for my sarcasm-comment. It was rude.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 01:48:08 PM »

Armando...

"Muffled" sound is likely happening as the HF drivers degrade.  One common cause of this is voltage spikes being sent to the speakers.  This can happen because of many things:

1.  Turning the amps on before anything else.  With the amps on first, any turning-on/off any other equipment in the signal chain may well send a voltage spike down the line where it is amplified and sent to the speakers.  In severe cases this "pop" can simply take out a HF driver in one instance.  Many lesser incidents over time eventually wear out the HF driver resulting in muffled, muddy or ill-defined sound.

2.  Unplugging instruments or phantom powered microphones while the speakers are receiving signal will accomplish pretty much the same as above.

SOP  is "amps off first, on last".  Following this rule of powering the system on and off will help keep your speakers working longer.

I agree with repairing the existing speakers.  More economical, better sound quality.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Armando Ramos

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 04:45:11 PM »

Armando...

"Muffled" sound is likely happening as the HF drivers degrade.  One common cause of this is voltage spikes being sent to the speakers.  This can happen because of many things:

1.  Turning the amps on before anything else.  With the amps on first, any turning-on/off any other equipment in the signal chain may well send a voltage spike down the line where it is amplified and sent to the speakers.  In severe cases this "pop" can simply take out a HF driver in one instance.  Many lesser incidents over time eventually wear out the HF driver resulting in muffled, muddy or ill-defined sound.

2.  Unplugging instruments or phantom powered microphones while the speakers are receiving signal will accomplish pretty much the same as above.

SOP  is "amps off first, on last".  Following this rule of powering the system on and off will help keep your speakers working longer.

I agree with repairing the existing speakers.  More economical, better sound quality.

Hi Dick,

Thanks for the info! I'm going to have the main speakers repaired instead of replaced (it makes more sense), and definitely going to follow your rule of powering my sound system on and off.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 11:17:49 PM »

I'd also like to throw this out there.

Many Church systems I've seen have all the "hi" eq turned down because of feedback issues over the years.

Have you been having feedback? Is there a semi-qualified person running or at least maintaining the sound gear?

When is the last time the installer came by to check it out?

Sound systems are not a "one and done" type thing. Just like your HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and heck even the paint on the walls. You have to give it periodic maintenance.

Replacing speakers because they "sound funny" is throwing out the baby with the bath water. Its also very poor stewardship of your money.

I am Tim and I approve this message.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Armando Ramos

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 12:45:13 PM »

I'd also like to throw this out there.

Many Church systems I've seen have all the "hi" eq turned down because of feedback issues over the years.

Have you been having feedback? Is there a semi-qualified person running or at least maintaining the sound gear?

When is the last time the installer came by to check it out?

Sound systems are not a "one and done" type thing. Just like your HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and heck even the paint on the walls. You have to give it periodic maintenance.

Replacing speakers because they "sound funny" is throwing out the baby with the bath water. Its also very poor stewardship of your money.

I am Tim and I approve this message.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the feedback!

We haven't had feedback issues in a long time.

We don't have anyone even semi-qualified running sound since my church is small. I was "volunteered" to do it because I am the most techie person at my church. The last guy running sound was going deaf. His idea of running sound was to turn on the sound equipment and walk away. Anyway, I'm doing my best in learning the basics of running church sound. There seems to be a lot of resources out on the Web.

We haven't had a professional stop by at all to examine my sound system. What I'm going to do, though, is call a local company and have them check out and give maintenance to the main speakers.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the feedback!

We haven't had feedback issues in a long time.

We don't have anyone even semi-qualified running sound since my church is small. I was "volunteered" to do it because I am the most techie person at my church. The last guy running sound was going deaf. His idea of running sound was to turn on the sound equipment and walk away. Anyway, I'm doing my best in learning the basics of running church sound. There seems to be a lot of resources out on the Web.

We haven't had a professional stop by at all to examine my sound system. What I'm going to do, though, is call a local company and have them check out and give maintenance to the main speakers.

Call more than one company, ask for references...

Armando Ramos

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »

Call more than one company, ask for references...

Thanks Cailen, will do!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.