ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help from SRX800P users- HIQNET  (Read 37265 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Need help from SRX800P users- HIQNET
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »

I have responded to your PM Debbie.

Yes I have abandoned the make up gain technique. It still does what it is supposed to, but the venue I manage has 2-3 other engineers in it. I set the speaker to " HELP " the other guys get level without going too far. That couple of extra db in headroom is nice and all, but I would have to play with the limiter setting more to nail it down. It is already too loud as it is, but the other guys preferred the higher gain to get the metering lower on the mixer.

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2016, 05:25:59 PM »

I have responded to your PM Debbie.

Yes I have abandoned the make up gain technique. It still does what it is supposed to, but the venue I manage has 2-3 other engineers in it. I set the speaker to " HELP " the other guys get level without going too far. That couple of extra db in headroom is nice and all, but I would have to play with the limiter setting more to nail it down. It is already too loud as it is, but the other guys preferred the higher gain to get the metering lower on the mixer.

Good to know Luke - I responded also. I'll play it safe too - outdoor show next weekend - St Paddys day so I'll be bake to check out the SRX828 properly......
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »

Can you advise me on what you're trying to balance? Do you have (2) 815's and (1) dual 18 sub? Are you using all of the standard factory settings for the components you have? I'm curious because I plan on purchasing a pair of 815's this summer.

I have the SRX815's Steve and I LOVE them!..... The thing is that they are so very capable that when paired with the SRX 828, the sub can't get even close to them. I'm thinking that 1 per side might be nice but not in my budget right now. 
When I use the SRX828 with my pair of PRX718's, even with the SRX turned all the way up, it doesn't hit as hard as the PRX pair. I thought it would when I purchased it but  the PRX's are louder.
 However, it is a fantastic sounding box and when used in the smaller to mid size venues it hits hard enough for what we need and has a lower extension than the PRX718's.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 08:45:03 PM »

I have the SRX815's Steve and I LOVE them!..... The thing is that they are so very capable that when paired with the SRX 828, the sub can't get even close to them. I'm thinking that 1 per side might be nice but not in my budget right now. 
When I use the SRX828 with my pair of PRX718's, even with the SRX turned all the way up, it doesn't hit as hard as the PRX pair. I thought it would when I purchased it but  the PRX's are louder.
 However, it is a fantastic sounding box and when used in the smaller to mid size venues it hits hard enough for what we need and has a lower extension than the PRX718's.

Have you tried a Y cord at the inputs? That gave me 3 db more, and I felt with that they were about the same in output of my PRX sub's.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2016, 09:36:10 PM »

Have you tried a Y cord at the inputs? That gave me 3 db more, and I felt with that they were about the same in output of my PRX sub's.

I take L and R from the mixer to each channel of the sub then out into each top - so both inputs are already in use.

Mike Maly

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 02:25:40 AM »

I recently had the opportunity to mix on a VT4886 rig with 4 SRX828SP(2 per side); AUX fed sub. I was impressed and found myself turning the subs down with plenty of  headroom. No compressor make-up gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Maly Sound:
Hear the difference

Jay Marr

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 03:19:46 PM »

It's crazy to think that the dual 18 sub can't keep up with the single 15" tops.
Is the amp they load the box with, not enough power?
I have the SRX728 subs....and just one of those (with 3000-4000 watts) will pair very will with a set of 715's.  The 728 just crushes....wondering why the 828 does not.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »

It's crazy to think that the dual 18 sub can't keep up with the single 15" tops.
I have the SRX728 subs....and just one of those (with 3000-4000 watts) will pair very will with a set of 715's.  The 728 just crushes....wondering why the 828 does not.
Because JBL released the SRX800P series with 26dB input gain rather than the more normal 32dB gain, meaning you need to turn your mixer up louder than with other boxes.  It's stupid, but that's what they did.

Knob position has never been a reliable indicator of maximum output.  The fact that the SRX800P gain is "all the way up" does not mean they are out of gas.

For mixed systems, I would recommending turning your mains down to match the subs, and then running your mixer output hotter, or connect to the SRX800P series and add some gain somewhere as has been described in several places here.

There's nothing wrong with the box's capability; just a dubious choice by the product manager to make them not work like every other box they compete with.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 03:30:07 PM »

The SRX800P series is designed to match speaker/amp combos that reference 26dB on amp gain (like a VT4880 powered by an ITech).

There is no difference in output power (beyond what may be advertised).  It just takes more signal level to reach the full output capabilities.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 03:57:03 PM »

I think it's also a matter of what one's definition of "keeping up" is ;)

I know as a DJ I have yet to run into a standard double 18 reflex box (if there's just one) that will keep up with a pair of SRX-715s when power is really poured to them. This would be especially true outdoors (the application in this thread).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 03:57:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.