ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help from SRX800P users- HIQNET  (Read 36959 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Need help from SRX800P users- HIQNET
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2019, 10:16:57 AM »

Yeah I probably would have freaked you out because mentally I would have already been committed to replacing the connector so I would have grabbed a big ass pair of channel locks and acted like I was pulling a molar. 

As far as the putty, yeah that stuff is tough.  The damn molex connectos come out on the PRX subs so I have had experience pulling them on friends gear.  Usually a small putty knife.  I can't imagine you could strike it with a mallet with sufficient force without denting the inside housing.  Would not go down that path.  What did you do, take the drivers out and position the mallet inside the cabinet?

Yeah - I tapped the box a couple of times but immediately realized it wasn't moving. Someone a bit more heavy handed than me might have done some damage. It is all back together and I am very relieved.
I replaced the  XLR connector that was stuck with a Neutrik along with a couple more of my spare cables (I only had 3 XLR connectors in my tool box but I have ordered more) and once I have switched out a few more, I will basically have Neutrik/Switchcraft or Amphenol on every cable I own. 
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2019, 01:53:21 PM »

Yeah - I tapped the box a couple of times but immediately realized it wasn't moving. Someone a bit more heavy handed than me might have done some damage. It is all back together and I am very relieved.
I replaced the  XLR connector that was stuck with a Neutrik along with a couple more of my spare cables (I only had 3 XLR connectors in my tool box but I have ordered more) and once I have switched out a few more, I will basically have Neutrik/Switchcraft or Amphenol on every cable I own.

The Switchraft tend to hold up the best though I am convinced the deformation occurs when the end of the barrel strikes a concrete floor.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2019, 02:29:42 PM »

The Switchraft tend to hold up the best though I am convinced the deformation occurs when the end of the barrel strikes a concrete floor.

I agree the Switchcraft are really chunky - made very well. The Neutrik are more readily available and often more favorably priced but I choose the best deal I can get between the 2 usually.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2019, 12:57:40 PM »

I also have a few of the Rean Neutrik plugs that have always been great and offer very good value as they are made in China I believe BUT I am a bit paranoid now and I am wondering if I can trust them.
With that said, I searched the internet when this happened to see if I could find any tricks to get the XLR barrel removed and I came across a couple of posts of folks having had this happen to Neutrik's too...... makes me very nervous now.
The Neutrik XLRs I have been using are the XX type with no lock window and I am wondering if this design could prevent the XLR from getting stuck.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »

I am convinced the deformation occurs when the end of the barrel strikes a concrete floor.

This. Long long ago, when I first became familiar with XLR connectors (which were Switchcraft with a smattering of Cannon), I came to think of the protruding innards of the female connector as the most delicate part. I got in the habit of coiling my cords starting at the female end so that it was the male that got bounced and dragged around on the concrete floor. I still do it that way. Along the same lines, I coil Edison power cords starting at the male end as it is the most likely to get damaged. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »

I also have a few of the Rean Neutrik plugs that have always been great and offer very good value as they are made in China I believe BUT I am a bit paranoid now and I am wondering if I can trust them.
With that said, I searched the internet when this happened to see if I could find any tricks to get the XLR barrel removed and I came across a couple of posts of folks having had this happen to Neutrik's too...... makes me very nervous now.
The Neutrik XLRs I have been using are the XX type with no lock window and I am wondering if this design could prevent the XLR from getting stuck.

I gotta wonder where JBL is getting the connectors for their MI (or semi pro) gear. Debbie, you and others have got connectors stuck in JBL gear over the past few years.
In 50 years of plugging in XLR connectors of all the major brands and many knock offs, I have never got one stuck. I have had ones that would not go in after getting bent though.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2019, 04:29:59 PM »

I gotta wonder where JBL is getting the connectors for their MI (or semi pro) gear. Debbie, you and others have got connectors stuck in JBL gear over the past few years.
In 50 years of plugging in XLR connectors of all the major brands and many knock offs, I have never got one stuck. I have had ones that would not go in after getting bent though.

It really is weird Rob... didn't EVER happen to me either until that SRX815 4 years ago and now this. I can use any XLR for my JBL PRX series though without any problems - it definitely could be an issue with the XLR/TRS combi type inputs.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2019, 05:00:03 PM »

I have also run into this occasionally over the years, and it doesn't seem to be brand specific.  I have seen quite a few older HOW or school installations (probably from the 50's and earlier) where male C3 or D3 connectors were used for all floor inputs.  If female connectors with the release tabs were used, the tabs got kicked, bent, and broken.  All the mic cables were wired with females on both ends. 

I've also seen a lot of KF850's and other speaker cabinets that used the cannon EP series speaker connectors with "permanent" speaker tails attached for the same reasons.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2019, 05:00:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.