ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rackable router?  (Read 11628 times)

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
Re: Rackable router?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 07:17:56 PM »

I too use the Airport Express and have a setup very similar to Debbie's, iPad mixing, X32 Rack, and Luminair control of lighting. Thanks Debbie. ;) My AE lives in the back of my rack in a plastic holster next to the switch. For smaller shows it works well there. I have a longer Cat5e cable to get it on top of the speaker if needed. I always connect 5GHz. Hidden SSID and everything except the iPad has a static IP address. The AE is handling DHCP. I have two other AEs that are set up to extend the network if needed. I rarely need them.

I've only had one instance when I had trouble keeping a connection. It was at a public pool with about 300 people and in the center of town, next to a cell tower. Fortunately I ALWAYS have a laptop connected with Cat5e and it was a daytime event so no lighting needed.

I'm also of the camp of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have looked at some of the Ubiquiti gear. I just don't have the need yet.

I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Chris Doyle

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 10:23:34 AM »

So I ordered the Swissonic Professional Router 2.  Probably overkill, since the Netgear router I've been using has worked flawlessly for years now and was a fraction of the cost.  But I really like the idea of having it mounted in the rack instead of sitting in a drawer.  I also had to order a 1 space drawer to replace the 2 space drawer I have since the router will take up a space.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2019, 03:51:56 PM »

So I ordered the Swissonic Professional Router 2.  Probably overkill, since the Netgear router I've been using has worked flawlessly for years now and was a fraction of the cost.  But I really like the idea of having it mounted in the rack instead of sitting in a drawer.  I also had to order a 1 space drawer to replace the 2 space drawer I have since the router will take up a space.

All this discussion of line of site and near field obstruction and you go and pay for an overpriced rack mounted unit.  Makes me wonder why we even bother.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Doyle

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 04:36:13 PM »

I thought the purpose of this forum was a free exchange of ideas among people with a common interest.  I greatly respect the knowledge and expertise of the members and much appreciate their taking the time to reply to my post.  But I don't think asking for advice obligates me to do whatever someone might recommend.  I did say that it is probably overkill(though I don't believe it is overpriced) and that what I have has worked flawlessly. And since I mix from the stage, line of site and near field obstruction are not issues.  I will be the first to admit I'm a novice at best at this, and I will continue to consult this forum to increase my knowledge.  Thanks again for all the replies.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 03:18:19 AM »

I thought the purpose of this forum was a free exchange of ideas among people with a common interest.  I greatly respect the knowledge and expertise of the members and much appreciate their taking the time to reply to my post.  But I don't think asking for advice obligates me to do whatever someone might recommend.  I did say that it is probably overkill(though I don't believe it is overpriced) and that what I have has worked flawlessly. And since I mix from the stage, line of site and near field obstruction are not issues.  I will be the first to admit I'm a novice at best at this, and I will continue to consult this forum to increase my knowledge.  Thanks again for all the replies.

Free exchange all you want, you were answered by a network engineer with 35 years of experience, one of the most experienced RF guys in the forum, several touring professionals and then you went and did the exact opposite.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 11:11:56 AM »

Some quick google-fu tells me the guts of that Swissonic are a Zioncom (also branded as Totolink) router, likely their A950RG, but possibly the A3000RU.

Basically, that 1U rack mount router is the guts of a $30-40 box with some fancy metalwork and a couple Ethercons on the front.  I wouldn't expect much from it.

Nick Falbo

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2019, 07:07:44 PM »

Why anyone uses consumer grade network gear to run a show is beyond me. Apple, Netgear,  etc. Are all not made for use in high wireless traffic areas. Also I am blown away by the people that don't know that a router is not a wireless device...

Best way to think of it here folks, would you go to Walmart and buy speakers from Walmart to use as your FOH mains? If the answer is no why would you buy a Walmart routers with wireless AP built in to use as you network for your system?

You don't always need a router is you are just trying to get wireless access. A router is a piece of hardware that routes traffic between two or more Networks, if you are not routing between two different networks then all you need is a wireless access point.

Wireless Networks work in the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies, which are effected highly by obstacles like walls or a crowd of people. Hence why it is better to get the access point or antennas above the crowd, line of sight from computer to antenna will give you better coverage than buying a higher price AP. This is the reason why people start to have trouble with their wireless coverage, they put one consumer grade wireless router in a rack on stage behind all the gear and well below the height of the crowd, then can't figure out why they loose signal 50ft away from the stage.

Here is the biggest thing, if you do not know, ask or have someone set it up for you. Stop trying to be the musician/sound engineer that knows it all and won't get help from an IT professional. Stop asking for advice and then disagreeing with the advice that people give you.

P.s. I work in the IT field as my 9 to 5 job.

Scott Slater

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2019, 08:05:55 AM »

Why anyone uses consumer grade network gear to run a show is beyond me. Apple, Netgear,  etc. Are all not made for use in high wireless traffic areas.

I agree for the most part, but the Apple iPads are finicky, and like something about Apple's wireless better than business-grade APs.  I was running a Fortigate 100D with a FAP-221E and I was getting regular drops with line of sight to the AP at about 15' to 20' away.  I replaced this network gear with an Apple AirPort Extreme and have had no issues since.  So as Ivan says......it depends.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »

Why anyone uses consumer grade network gear to run a show is beyond me. Apple, Netgear,  etc. Are all not made for use in high wireless traffic areas. Also I am blown away by the people that don't know that a router is not a wireless device...

Best way to think of it here folks, would you go to Walmart and buy speakers from Walmart to use as your FOH mains? If the answer is no why would you buy a Walmart routers with wireless AP built in to use as you network for your system?

You don't always need a router is you are just trying to get wireless access. A router is a piece of hardware that routes traffic between two or more Networks, if you are not routing between two different networks then all you need is a wireless access point.

Wireless Networks work in the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies, which are effected highly by obstacles like walls or a crowd of people. Hence why it is better to get the access point or antennas above the crowd, line of sight from computer to antenna will give you better coverage than buying a higher price AP. This is the reason why people start to have trouble with their wireless coverage, they put one consumer grade wireless router in a rack on stage behind all the gear and well below the height of the crowd, then can't figure out why they loose signal 50ft away from the stage.

Here is the biggest thing, if you do not know, ask or have someone set it up for you. Stop trying to be the musician/sound engineer that knows it all and won't get help from an IT professional. Stop asking for advice and then disagreeing with the advice that people give you.

P.s. I work in the IT field as my 9 to 5 job.

Nick, we go over this stuff about twice a year.

For most folk, they are not running in a high traffic environment. The bandwidth needs for weekend warrior use is pretty minimal.

Most folk would love Danley or EAW for their bar rigs but realistically there is no business case for it.

For WiFi control, the budget lines up with the gig value.
No one here is proposing to do an A list stadium show with “routers” from Walmart.

I have used Netgear units for many years without trouble for many small gigs. I use 5gb only. For bigger events I use a Ubiquiti AP.

These days every sound person needs some networking just like most need some lighting. They cannot afford to hire pros to set it up for them and so they ask here for help, not a put down.
They want to make good sound and often that is where they focus. For many, they want the lights and WiFi to work like an appliance, and that is ok.

I have likely done IT longer than you have been on the planet. Yes, a long time. I don’t know everything but I do know what I don’t know.

Edit:
Nick, most of your points have been discussed in this very thread, weeks ago. I don’t know you but you come across as a condescending know it all who just dropped in to poop on everybody.

Perhaps read more and post less?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:10:32 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 23 queries.