ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Event Wifi package  (Read 5989 times)

Brian Larson

Event Wifi package
« on: March 05, 2016, 12:52:42 AM »

We have a client that would like to have wifi available for guests at a week long event that takes place on three floors of a sprawling old building. I could subcontract this to a company that specializes in this sort of thing, but I'm curious what it would take to add this service to our inventory.

I have done some intermediate networking myself so I know a little about setting up an installed, non mission critical network in a space with known requirements and restrictions. I've never had any experience trying to build a network that would be temporary and with so many connections with unknown bandwidth requirements.

I'm imagining a scalable system with a centralized rack that could take fiber from an ISP, run it through a firewall, industrial router, and managed POE switch, then break out into a bunch of ethercon reels that would go out to POE access points throughout the building. I'd also like to add the ability to host a splash page that could display event info, sponsors etc. I would like this system to be able to service ~300 clients at average usage.

To start, I've been looking at the Ubiquiti enterprise APs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015PRO512/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1457156188&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=unifi+ac&dpPl=1&dpID=31RqR1X6saL&ref=plSrch

These are relatively cheap and are POE powered. Combined with a manfrotto super clamp and an ethercon connector, these seem like they could be a rugged, mount anywhere solution. They also appear to have very nice management tools

What should I be looking for in a router, firewall and switch? I would like to be able to accept fiber or Ethernet from the ISP. Any advice for a small server that could host the splash page?

I'm not sure how short term contracts with ISPs work. The building has no internet at all so I was hoping to get an ISP to pull a temporary fiber run from the street that would tie into my system. Anyone have experience with this?

If I can't get a fiber feed from the street, what options are there for high-bandwidth "hotspot" type devices that could be distributed to APs for that many clients?

Hoping to find someone who's had experience with this type of thing. It may end up being too complicated to get into but I think this could be a great added service to offer.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Event Wifi package
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 05:10:21 AM »

The building has no internet at all so I was hoping to get an ISP to pull a temporary fiber run from the street that would tie into my system. Anyone have experience with this?

Getting a service provider to open up a fiber sheath, find an available pair, cut the fiber, splice it together back to the POP then provision a network connection for 2 weeks is not going to happen.  No recurring revenue to support the work.

4G, even muxed will have serious session limitations.  Your only real option is wireless.  You need to find out if the area is served by a point to point wireless provider.  Out of simplicity they can supply the router and there are many simple open source captive portals you can run for your splash page.  You should be able to pickup an enterprise grade Cisco PoE switch on eBay for $100.00

The Ubiquity stuff is excellent.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Anderson

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »

And the ubiquiti unifi controller can be your splash page provider too. I've done what you're wanting to do (the local part) numerous times, albeit with a fast direct connection. Supported about 4-500 guests with a 255.255.252.0 mask… and the unifi controller allows you to isolate each user as well.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 07:57:37 AM »

Getting a service provider to open up a fiber sheath, find an available pair, cut the fiber, splice it together back to the POP then provision a network connection for 2 weeks is not going to happen.  No recurring revenue to support the work.

4G, even muxed will have serious session limitations.  Your only real option is wireless.  You need to find out if the area is served by a point to point wireless provider.  Out of simplicity they can supply the router and there are many simple open source captive portals you can run for your splash page.  You should be able to pickup an enterprise grade Cisco PoE switch on eBay for $100.00

The Ubiquity stuff is excellent.

Scott what about cable modem drops?   In several of our large in town venues, if you want internet you call time warner and order a 150 X 30 mb cable modem...  I feel like that could be an option here... But I don't know all that much about commercial wifi.

Neil White

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »

We have a client that would like to have wifi available for guests at a week long event that takes place on three floors of a sprawling old building. I could subcontract this to a company that specializes in this sort of thing, but I'm curious what it would take to add this service to our inventory.

Hi Brian,

High Density Wifi is probably a good search term for learning more about these kind of systems. I found this resource recommended:  http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/2012/12/design-your-wlan-for-high-capacity_10.html

Neil

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 01:24:16 PM »

Scott what about cable modem drops?   In several of our large in town venues, if you want internet you call time warner and order a 150 X 30 mb cable modem...  I feel like that could be an option here... But I don't know all that much about commercial wifi.

That will work well.  I didn't think of that.  Just make sure you use a good DOCSIS modem and an enterprise router to handle all the sessions. 

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Larson

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 02:12:39 PM »

Hey Cailen,

What exactly is that? I imagine it's beefier than a home cable modem but connects to a coax line? What terms would I use when asking an ISP about this type of temporary service? What do you pay and what hardware is provided when you arrange this for your large venues?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 02:15:05 PM »

It's a cable modem...  Just like a home one. At least in our area you can get 300 mb down and 50 mb up speed on a cable modem.  Connects to a regular RG6 coax line. 

Here you call the business line and say I need a cable modem for xx days.  They give you a rate and install fees, etc.   Usually install is a couple hundred $$ if there is already service in the building.  The rates vary. 

Brian Larson

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 02:21:19 PM »

I guess I'm just not sure what up/down speeds I would need for 300 clients. You think 300 down, 50 up would be sufficient?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 03:29:17 PM »

Depends on what they are doing...  If it's 400 people at a seminar all hitting the same site for a training session at the same time, maybe not... If it's casual use and there is good qos and bandwidth sharing rules, I think it could easily be enough...

I'll put it this way, our municipality, which has maybe 400 employees at computers in various parts of town, has, I believe a 100/100 fiber connection which also serves 911 and some of our web facing portals.  I'm unaware of a problem.  When I visit my it friends, I think the connection sits with about 30mb of constant traffic.

Someone more knowledgable than me may be able to give you some
Guidance.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 07:55:27 PM »

Depends on what they are doing...  If it's 400 people at a seminar all hitting the same site for a training session at the same time, maybe not... If it's casual use and there is good qos and bandwidth sharing rules, I think it could easily be enough...

I'll put it this way, our municipality, which has maybe 400 employees at computers in various parts of town, has, I believe a 100/100 fiber connection which also serves 911 and some of our web facing portals.  I'm unaware of a problem.  When I visit my it friends, I think the connection sits with about 30mb of constant traffic.

Someone more knowledgable than me may be able to give you some
Guidance.

Lots of different usage profiles.  I am surprised at both ends of the usage spectrum in my "day job".

If the even has content all the guests will be accessing put a caching server on the captive portal so those elements don't have to be donwloaded repeatedly.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 07:55:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.