Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

Basic Dante questions

<< < (2/2)

David Sturzenbecher:

--- Quote from: Cailen Waddell on March 11, 2016, 08:45:31 PM ---And there is no reason not to share Dante and Internet if you know what you are doing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

If you are in charge of configuring and managing the router delivering the Ethernet data, sure. In my case that is always handed by a force of IT guys. I can get it set up and working, but who knows when they will deploy new configurations that cause havoc to audio pieces...even though my needs are clearly documented.  In my experience with audio networks, isolated audio networks can and do work flawlessly for years with zero attention, while audio networks merged under IT departments supervision need routine attention.

Cailen Waddell:

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on March 12, 2016, 08:47:13 AM ---If you are in charge of configuring and managing the router delivering the Ethernet data, sure. In my case that is always handed by a force of IT guys. I can get it set up and working, but who knows when they will deploy new configurations that cause havoc to audio pieces...even though my needs are clearly documented.  In my experience with audio networks, isolated audio networks can and do work flawlessly for years with zero attention, while audio networks merged under IT departments supervision need routine attention.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely - I agree. 

Our one merged data and Dante network is completely under my control from a management standpoint and is separate from our corporate network.  Primary shares with device remote protocols, lighting console remote, any OSC triggering/control, and Internet access for control iPads iPhones, downloading sound effects, etc. 

I have discussed with our it guys joint networks, and we both agree to keep 'em separated....

Josh Millward:

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on March 12, 2016, 08:47:13 AM ---If you are in charge of configuring and managing the router delivering the Ethernet data, sure. In my case that is always handed by a force of IT guys. I can get it set up and working, but who knows when they will deploy new configurations that cause havoc to audio pieces...even though my needs are clearly documented.  In my experience with audio networks, isolated audio networks can and do work flawlessly for years with zero attention, while audio networks merged under IT departments supervision need routine attention.

--- End quote ---

Oh man, this is the truth right here! (bold typeface added by me for emphasis)

Yes, Dante CAN be shared with any other network traffic with no issues, as long as the network is configured appropriately. That is the problem... "configured appropriately"... Many audio people are not IT people and they don't want to become IT people. Likewise, most IT people are not audio people. If you must use a unified global network, the audio people can work together with the IT people to make it happen, but all too often the IT people will do something to make the audio network non-functional. Whereas if you just have a stand alone network that is not being fiddled with (much like your analog copper snake system is not fiddled with by outside people) it will run perfectly fine for years and years.

David Buckley:

--- Quote from: Josh Millward on March 14, 2016, 01:05:48 PM ---Many audio people are not IT people and they don't want to become IT people.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, unless you're a megastar mix maestro with a reputation with staff, then the reality is that not being IT competent is a career limiting move.  Networking and computers are here.  Time to get with the program.

Jordan Wolf:

--- Quote from: David Buckley on March 14, 2016, 03:49:17 PM ---[T]he reality is that not being IT competent is a career limiting move.  Networking and computers are here.  Time to get with the program.

--- End quote ---

Shure has a nice, little webinar on the topic.

- Jordan Wolf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version