ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha QL5 StageMix Connection Dropout  (Read 8017 times)

David Salonen

Yamaha QL5 StageMix Connection Dropout
« on: December 24, 2015, 03:30:14 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm using an iPad Air 2 with a Yamaha QL5 (firmware version 1.x -- I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's not the version 3.x), and a new Apple Airport Extreme router. Using a 5ghz wifi network that is hidden with WPA2 security. Am not doing MAC filtering yet. Wifi strength is very strong at all distances that the iPad is being used. Static IP's for the console and iPad with DHCP reservations on the router.

I'll be using the iPad mixing FOH for the show, and occasionally (maybe once every 25-30 min) the app loses sync with the console. Usually when it loses sync, it has a hard time connecting for the first couple tries (gives me the 'check wifi' error message). The wifi connection is solid though, and from what I can tell doesn't ever drop. Any idea what could be causing the sync issue, and what some good steps are to prevent it?

- David

P.S. I believe I am following posting rules, but this is my first post so please let me know if I am not up to spec.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Yamaha QL5 StageMix Connection Dropout
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »

I run a similar rig and you do have yours set up very well. It sounds to me like there are things running on the iPad that are "calling home" on a regular basis. Turn off everything you can that does that: iCloud, Mail, Notifications, etc. Just because you're not connected to the internet doesn't mean that various apps aren't trying to connect the whole time. If your iPad has a cellular connection disable that also.

I don't have my iPad in front of me, so I'm afraid I can't be more specific. I did end up dedicating an older iPad to off-internet use so I could be certain it was more reliable for what we do.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 12:23:45 PM »

First thing I would do is update to the latest firmware on the QL. I've updated many many consoles and the Yamaha is one of the easiest and most safe to do this on.
No reason to ever not have the latest firmware on a Yamaha console.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »

Apple Airport Extreme router. Using a 5ghz wifi network that is hidden with WPA2 security.
Airport Extreme is a dual band router. If the new one is anything like the old one, both bands are available simultaneously AND share the same name. I was having similar issues and named the 5ghz portion something like "airport 5ghz", so it now has its own name. Now the iPad sees two "different" routers. You can choose which band you want to connect to, and now mine stays connected.

Bex Key

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 07:32:14 PM »

Hey,

Not sure if you've solved this issue, but just in case...

We use the Airport Expresss 2nd Gen to link to the QL5 and another one links our ION.

I did a quick video about the QL5 and how to hook it up using the AE. It's here if you're interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIFmgloMfw8&feature=youtu.be&a

This is also my first post on the forum (after finding lots of help on here!) so apologies if I've done something wrong :)

Bex

Hey guys,

I'm using an iPad Air 2 with a Yamaha QL5 (firmware version 1.x -- I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's not the version 3.x), and a new Apple Airport Extreme router. Using a 5ghz wifi network that is hidden with WPA2 security. Am not doing MAC filtering yet. Wifi strength is very strong at all distances that the iPad is being used. Static IP's for the console and iPad with DHCP reservations on the router.

I'll be using the iPad mixing FOH for the show, and occasionally (maybe once every 25-30 min) the app loses sync with the console. Usually when it loses sync, it has a hard time connecting for the first couple tries (gives me the 'check wifi' error message). The wifi connection is solid though, and from what I can tell doesn't ever drop. Any idea what could be causing the sync issue, and what some good steps are to prevent it?

- David

P.S. I believe I am following posting rules, but this is my first post so please let me know if I am not up to spec.

John Penkala

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 12:35:37 AM »

First thing I would do is update to the latest firmware on the QL. I've updated many many consoles and the Yamaha is one of the easiest and most safe to do this on.
No reason to ever not have the latest firmware on a Yamaha console.

I agree. However, I don't recommend upgrading the console without consulting the Yamaha website for information regarding Dante and Stagemix version compatibility. There is a chart on the download page. I highly recommend doing firmware, Dante and other updates all at once in the shop, not on a show site.  That includes any consoles, RIO boxes and anything else connected to the Dante network. I've seen it many times where the console gets updated and doesn't work with the older version of Stagemix. I've also seen the opposite happen. The iPad app is updated to a newer version and doesn't work with the consoles older version.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 12:35:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.