ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: small church budget system install ideas  (Read 10532 times)

Irvin Pribadi

Re: small church budget system install ideas
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »

I second the idea of some acoustic treatment especially on the back wall.
Drapes, banners or any textured decor would help. Leaving that back door open actually helps too :)

Btw, what is the audio content here? We know primarily this is for sermon but you mentioned there was a musician. What type of music is being used?

Also agree on the rigging to be conservative.
Single center cluster is the way to go here and you may be able to do with a speaker that weighs less than 50lbs which would help simplify the rigging.

David Allred

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »

Eileen,

Please permit me as a newbie here to offer some advice.  Understanding the probability of a lack of budget due to the location, I would still include some sound treatment to the room.  This can be as simple as fabric covered foam.  A good sound system is going to add sound that will bounce in that room.  You need to tame this or the sound will just muddy the room.  What you have right now is a good echo chamber.

Ben

Ben is right, but acoustic foam is really expensive.  Compressed insulation (OC, Knauf, JM) is the way to go.  Materials (raw panel, no air restriction fabric, glue) will cost $15-20 each (for 2'x4'x2").  My first estimate is that you need about 400 sq ft of treatment on the walls and beams (ceiling would be nice, but installation gets complicated there).  If all build and install labor is donated, your cost is $750-1000.  Installation methods are many and varied, but I know how I would do it.

I second the open door as a benefit.  Drapes and banners, unless REALLY heavy with tight deep pleats, won't do much.

Eileen Krause

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 02:14:52 PM »

Ben is right, but acoustic foam is really expensive.  Compressed insulation (OC, Knauf, JM) is the way to go.  Materials (raw panel, no air restriction fabric, glue) will cost $15-20 each (for 2'x4'x2").  My first estimate is that you need about 400 sq ft of treatment on the walls and beams (ceiling would be nice, but installation gets complicated there).  If all build and install labor is donated, your cost is $750-1000.  Installation methods are many and varied, but I know how I would do it.

I second the open door as a benefit.  Drapes and banners, unless REALLY heavy with tight deep pleats, won't do much.
Thank you ALL-- yes I was also fretting over the live chamber issues! and while I would like to ignore it - I know it must be addressed... And the DIY on that could actually happen down there. 

Understood regarding delay for outdoor speaker. TY. 
Yes- good idea on doing remote access on computer down there- or we do skype with them a lot - requires a translator as not much English spoken by the folks.

Any and all feedback (hey wait a minute- isn't that a bad thing?) is appreciated.  You are helping me fill out my planning to get them best possible for the money and the circumstances. I'm walking the the line between KISS ( not the band) and less than optimal results from new gear.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 07:05:52 AM »

Hi,
Thank you for speaker ideas..  As for sourcing - Mexico City is 150 miles away so that is where we will get gear.

Eileen,
The CDD series is what I was thinking of as well.  There are great mid sized options for the sanctuary and great very compact weather resistant options for outdoors. 
I will get you a contact for the closest Martin Audio dealer (to Mexico City) shortly.  I am traveling and have not had the ability to check on that. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 10:28:15 AM »

The CDD weatherproof models won't be available until May. I have an upcoming install requiring 12 weatherproof CDD6's.

The CDD 10 or 12 would work well inside here. They have wall and ceiling brackets which would make rigging much easier, to the point that any construction-type should be able to hang it.

You could easily fit the equipment into the $3k budget, labor might be a different story though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Balsom

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 09:34:41 PM »

Greetings Eileen,  I'm an 'audio guy' from Casper, Wyoming.  Each year I join with 20 others and do a 'medical' trip to a place called....Estancia De Anamius, ( called 'village of animals' ) it's in the state of Zacatacus.  Are you anywhere close ???  Should be heading there late March or early April.  Thanks,  Ron Balsom   [email protected]  Casper, Wyoming  307 315 7412.   I can also help you with what to purchase.  Blessings,  Ron B. 
Friends,
Looking for good guidance here. Our church supports a mission church in a more rural area of Mexico that finally has a home. They were using a warehouse and a portable PA.  Now we are looking at a simple installation for the church.
The church is a rectangle 24' w by 48'.
Concrete walls, ceilings,beams and a tile floor. (lots of hard surfaces!)  ;D
I have attached a picture ( I hope!?)

Reinforcement needed for speech from the lectern (podium mic) and from the altar. (pastor needs wireless) They also want a wireless "pass around mic" as the congregants in the pews do a time of "sharing" and they pass the mic around for this.
I have already told them that any plan to install speakers in to the concrete would require professional thought and skills..   I tried first pass to convince them to use speakers on sticks but they want it to be permanent ( aesthetics and frankly- theft prevention is an issue)
Want it to be mostly "set and forget" but there is a musician there who is somewhat capable of troubleshooting and tweaking.

The final wild card is that they want to broadcast the audio with a speaker hanging on the front of the church too.  Note: They keep the church door open for the whole service as an invitation to folks and also so that folks can hear what is going on and hopefully come in. They will continue to keep the door open.

We need to run an outdoor speaker on the front of the church. looking for suggestions.  3k to 4k is budget and that is stretching it..
I appreciate thoughts, suggestions etc.
Eileen

Eileen Krause

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 11:45:43 AM »

David,
Thank you so much for the prodding around DIY for creating acoustic panels. Would you mind sharing your ideas on installation methods?

Looking at the placement of Windows in the room I'm trying to figure out where they could fit in on walls and be effective.

Also, are there fire/ combustion issues using these diy panels?  Insulation covered with burlap - 
Much thanks,
E

Eileen Krause

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 12:11:31 PM »

The CDD weatherproof models won't be available until May. I have an upcoming install requiring 12 weatherproof CDD6's.

The CDD 10 or 12 would work well inside here. They have wall and ceiling brackets which would make rigging much easier, to the point that any construction-type should be able to hang it.

You could easily fit the equipment into the $3k budget, labor might be a different story though

Thanks to all who mention The CDD option- I looked at website and specs and can see why you recommend. Now the issue is availability @Mexico city. Also any idea on street price for the 10" and the 6" ?  I'm working with 4K budget

So assuming I can go with the CDD hung in center of beam and another weatherized one outside..  I need to look at power/ mixer options. 
The application is speech- readings by laity and congregational sharings.

Simple 6input powered mixer?.. Or what? Budget sensitive Suggestions anyone?

Will mount podium mic (theft deterrence) and so need phantom for that and need wireless headset for priest.   I got the mics covered- So power and maybe 6 input simple mix to do the job.. 
All wisdom gladly accepted! 
Eileen. ( forgive typos - on a train and its bumpy!)

Irvin Pribadi

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 01:07:38 PM »

Eileen,
To maximize your budget, I'd advise prioritizing on sound inside the church where it is most challenging and listener critical.
If so, then the outdoor speaker can be something less expensive as long as it is weatherized. This also reduces the risk for theft or repair cost in case of damage.

As for mixer-amplifier:
Is there anything you/they foresee which may change the need to more than 6 mostly vocal inputs?
How about the sound operator skill level?

Mike Maly

small church budget system install ideas
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 01:15:25 AM »

A pair of JBL CBT 50LA-1 mounted on the walls, just to the front of the pulpit in white, a Crown XLC2500 power amp with both CBT's wired in parallel on channel 1, a DBX Zone Pro 641M controlling the main CBT's and the outdoor speaker, a JBL CSM28 mixer for simple one-knob operation and can accommodate up to 8 inputs, and a single JBL Control 28 mounted just outside the entry door on channel 2 of the Crown amp. If you want, add a DBX ZC-1 volume controller for remote control of the outdoor speaker.

Should be noted: I am a Harman dealer.

-Maly Sound:
Hear the difference

ProSoundWeb Community

small church budget system install ideas
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 01:15:25 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.