ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: small church budget system install ideas  (Read 10530 times)

Eileen Krause

small church budget system install ideas
« on: March 02, 2016, 04:01:40 PM »

Friends,
Looking for good guidance here. Our church supports a mission church in a more rural area of Mexico that finally has a home. They were using a warehouse and a portable PA.  Now we are looking at a simple installation for the church.
The church is a rectangle 24' w by 48'.
Concrete walls, ceilings,beams and a tile floor. (lots of hard surfaces!)  ;D
I have attached a picture ( I hope!?)

Reinforcement needed for speech from the lectern (podium mic) and from the altar. (pastor needs wireless) They also want a wireless "pass around mic" as the congregants in the pews do a time of "sharing" and they pass the mic around for this.
I have already told them that any plan to install speakers in to the concrete would require professional thought and skills..   I tried first pass to convince them to use speakers on sticks but they want it to be permanent ( aesthetics and frankly- theft prevention is an issue)
Want it to be mostly "set and forget" but there is a musician there who is somewhat capable of troubleshooting and tweaking.

The final wild card is that they want to broadcast the audio with a speaker hanging on the front of the church too.  Note: They keep the church door open for the whole service as an invitation to folks and also so that folks can hear what is going on and hopefully come in. They will continue to keep the door open.

We need to run an outdoor speaker on the front of the church. looking for suggestions.  3k to 4k is budget and that is stretching it..
I appreciate thoughts, suggestions etc.
Eileen

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: small church budget system install ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 04:42:21 PM »

Friends,
Looking for good guidance here. Our church supports a mission church in a more rural area of Mexico that finally has a home. They were using a warehouse and a portable PA.  Now we are looking at a simple installation for the church.
The church is a rectangle 24' w by 48'.
Concrete walls, ceilings,beams and a tile floor. (lots of hard surfaces!)  ;D
I have attached a picture ( I hope!?)

Reinforcement needed for speech from the lectern (podium mic) and from the altar. (pastor needs wireless) They also want a wireless "pass around mic" as the congregants in the pews do a time of "sharing" and they pass the mic around for this.
I have already told them that any plan to install speakers in to the concrete would require professional thought and skills..   I tried first pass to convince them to use speakers on sticks but they want it to be permanent ( aesthetics and frankly- theft prevention is an issue)
Want it to be mostly "set and forget" but there is a musician there who is somewhat capable of troubleshooting and tweaking.

The final wild card is that they want to broadcast the audio with a speaker hanging on the front of the church too.  Note: They keep the church door open for the whole service as an invitation to folks and also so that folks can hear what is going on and hopefully come in. They will continue to keep the door open.

We need to run an outdoor speaker on the front of the church. looking for suggestions.  3k to 4k is budget and that is stretching it..
I appreciate thoughts, suggestions etc.
Eileen

Eileen,
How loud is it during the service?
I am asking about the background sounds, is there outside noise that bleeds in (you mentioned that the doors are left open).

Do you have someone to do the installation?
Would they be able to use a computer to program some signal processing?

How stable is the power grid in this area of rural Mexico (where is it)?

Would this need to be sourced in Mexico or would the equipment be purchased in the U.S. and transported by the ministry?

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Eileen Krause

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 11:02:39 PM »

Eileen,
How loud is it during the service?
I am asking about the background sounds, is there outside noise that bleeds in (you mentioned that the doors are left open).

Do you have someone to do the installation?
Would they be able to use a computer to program some signal processing?

How stable is the power grid in this area of rural Mexico (where is it)?

Would this need to be sourced in Mexico or would the equipment be purchased in the U.S. and transported by the ministry?

Lee

Good questions Lee. 
There is some street noise now and then- old beat up trucks going by or other noises off and on..  Not a constant din- but yes there is noise and from their perspective they are "used to it" and they don't mind it and having the doors open is their cultural/local preference if you will.

I have stressed that any mounting of speakers would have to be done professionally by a qualified carpenter/contractor type person ( someone that would follow the manufacturers specs for proper load and bolting to cement walls etc.)  Someone from our US church ( maybe me if timing can work) will be down there to be sure no jerry-rigging is done.    Resources for this type of thing are hundreds of miles away.

We can't bring the equipment down there ( I wish we could- it would make life easier)
but it will have to be purchased down in Mexico somewhere once the list is made.

As for using computer program to tweak the signal processing-- "maybe" the local bandleader down there could do it with some instruction and skyping..  dunno.. not sure I would count on it.

Ah.. the electricity-- that is a wild card..   power conditioning would be good idea and I will poke back at the local pastor to get an idea of the electric grid update and status..
would hate to fry out a bunch of stuff... hmmm..

I still push the idea of a simple durable- no-brainer powered 6 channel head and 2 speakers on sticks but they have it in their mind that they want an install..

Honestly I have been so impressed at how their ministry has been attracting so many folks while they have just been using an $800 powered speaker with a couple cheap wireless mics.  They certainly make the most of what they have!  it's inspiring.

I appreciate the feedback and ideas.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 11:08:23 PM »

One speaker at the peak of the roof would seem to offer better coverage and intelligibility IMHO.   Obviously something white.   If it's just for speech it wouldn't need to be anything to big...   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eileen Krause

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:25:43 PM »

One speaker at the peak of the roof would seem to offer better coverage and intelligibility IMHO.   Obviously something white.   If it's just for speech it wouldn't need to be anything to big...   
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for feedback- any specific cab you would recommend? Can't be powered as running electric up there is a no go.

Irvin Pribadi

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »

Eileen,
Getting a certain brand-model locally may be the biggest challenge.

For the sanctuary room you describe keeping the sound off the walls will be a key goal.
The passive CDD series from Martin Audio may be favorable:
https://martin-audio.com/installation/CDDseries/

Depending on your criteria for loudness, rigging weight, cost, etc anywhere from the 10" to the 15" CDD may work for you. They do have the U-bracket for mounting and offer the speakers in white.

Another choice is the EVi series from Electro Voice:
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=121

Eileen Krause

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 02:32:36 PM »

Eileen,
Getting a certain brand-model locally may be the biggest challenge.

For the sanctuary room you describe keeping the sound off the walls will be a key goal.
The passive CDD series from Martin Audio may be favorable:
https://martin-audio.com/installation/CDDseries/

Depending on your criteria for loudness, rigging weight, cost, etc anywhere from the 10" to the 15" CDD may work for you. They do have the U-bracket for mounting and offer the speakers in white.

Another choice is the EVi series from Electro Voice:
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=121

Hi,
Thank you for speaker ideas..  As for sourcing - Mexico City is 150 miles away so that is where we will get gear.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 01:29:46 AM »

I agree that a single speaker mounted near the peak of the ceiling (probably under or just toward the congregation from the frontmost beam) would provide the best coverage. I don't have enough experience to recommend a particular cabinet.

If the beams and ceiling are indeed concrete, I strongly recommend an ENGINEERED solution for mounting the speakers. Mounting to concrete in an overhead scenario will likely require a completely different solution than if the beams were wood. Materials and methods must be EXACTLY as the engineer specifies -- no substitutions. If any detail is in doubt, double-check with the engineer. There are many different grades of hardware available that looks the same but isn't. The last thing you want is a couple hundred pounds of gear falling from the ceiling. Standards should not be lowered based on locale.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

David Allred

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 08:47:51 AM »

Assuming that the camera is at the rear wall / door, is appears that there are 3 of the exposed beams.  A single small (JBL Control 28, Yorkville C170, etc) in the front and middle beam peak aimed 45-60 deg down will cover the entire audience area seated or standing.  One on the back side of the first beam for a monitor, and one for outside.
Drilling through the beams (avoiding rebar) and inserting a through rod with clamp plates on both sides is the way to go.  Any plastic install speaker (like the 8" versions listed) will be under 15 lbs.

A DSP like a Driverack 260 would be useful.  One input for the monitor, one for the mains.  The mains (inside) may or may not need any delay (12' apart), but I would suspect that the outside speaker would need some.  The 260 can be password locked.  I would think that a program like "PC anywhere" or "Goto meeting" might allow remote access. 

Ben Parker

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 08:54:13 AM »

Eileen,

Please permit me as a newbie here to offer some advice.  Understanding the probability of a lack of budget due to the location, I would still include some sound treatment to the room.  This can be as simple as fabric covered foam.  A good sound system is going to add sound that will bounce in that room.  You need to tame this or the sound will just muddy the room.  What you have right now is a good echo chamber.

Ben

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 08:54:13 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.