ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tinning bare tails  (Read 5399 times)

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
Re: Tinning bare tails
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 02:43:47 PM »

Use copper foil... this is how it's done with most cam-lok style connectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npi6I9n1Ki0

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=13550&step=4&showunits=inches&id=129&top_cat=87

Yes, when assembling the cam lok connector, but that's not the question.
The OP is about prepping the bare tails. No copper foil or solder should be used on that end.

Eric Vogel

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 04:00:26 PM »

Yes, when assembling the cam lok connector, but that's not the question.
The OP is about prepping the bare tails. No copper foil or solder should be used on that end.

Right on here... most lugs in panels are designed for low strand aluminum or solid copper, the foil will help high strand copper stay centered in the lug.

I may or may not have done hundreds of tie ins, If I did, I never used foil.... As for portable tails prep - use a linesman's pliers sized for the wire and twist about 1.5" of bare copper in the direction of the core lay - left hand or right hand and insulate .5" of copper back onto jacket with etape - leave 1" twisted bare copper exposed.  If the twist is tight enough, you won't have strands wandering about.

Mark Oakley

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 11:13:37 PM »

Here in Canada, using copper foil is mandatory for bare tails. Any ESA (Electrical Safety Authority) Inspector I've worked with has mandated copper foil around stranded, flexible bare tails. Reason: over time, the lugs will wear down the copper-it also prevents stray strands from getting loose. This won't happen with single conductor solid copper feeder cable being used (installed) once, but will happen with flexible stranded tails.

Also tinning is against code, for all the reasons mentioned above.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 11:13:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.