ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crest CC5500 opinions ?  (Read 15289 times)

Brian Simmons

Crest CC5500 opinions ?
« on: March 27, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »

In my quest for power to run my jbl SRX rig , I came accross this amp. All the reveiws seem good and the price is great ! How are these amps on power draw ? Im afraid Im gonna run into certain situations where I have to use 20 amp circuits.  I need to power (2) srx725's and (2) 728's.  Do you think buying a couple of these amps will do the job ? 
any opinions would be appreciated ! thanks

Alan Sledzieski

Re: Crest CC5500 opinions ?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »

In my quest for power to run my jbl SRX rig , I came accross this amp. All the reveiws seem good and the price is great ! How are these amps on power draw ? Im afraid Im gonna run into certain situations where I have to use 20 amp circuits.  I need to power (2) srx725's and (2) 728's.  Do you think buying a couple of these amps will do the job ? 
any opinions would be appreciated ! thanks

Ya anyone, I'm thinking about one also.
Either a cc5500, or 9200

Arthur Wnuk

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »

For the sake of comparison, I've use a pair of cc4000 to power subs and find them to be potent, pleasing amps for that application. On occassions where both amps were forced to share a single 20 amp circuit, they never tripped the breaker, but their performance was very noticably diminished. Their power supplies seem forgiving, but you need realistic expectations; they are not PowerSofts. 

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »

I'll go a step further and say that if you're powering that rig, you should expect to need 20A circuits regardless of what amps you use if they're matched to the program rating of the speakers. The 728s and most of the JBL SRX line are power hungry. Amp efficiency will only take you so far when things are running full out. You still need power to make it go.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »

I'll go a step further and say that if you're powering that rig, you should expect to need 20A circuits regardless of what amps you use if they're matched to the program rating of the speakers. The 728s and most of the JBL SRX line are power hungry. Amp efficiency will only take you so far when things are running full out. You still need power to make it go.

Greg

Heres what I'm running right now.
4 double 18's with 4 pro 8200's bridged, 2 ca9's bridged on 4733's
2 crest v1500's on monitors.
I run 3 8200's on 1 20 amp
2 ca9's, plus the consul and processing on a 20 amp
1 8200, 1500's, and the band on another 20amp
Lights on other circuits.
never blow a breaker, as long as there is nothing else on that circuit.

What I want to do is get rid of the 1500's, use the ca9's on monitors, and a single amp in stereo on the 4733's
In smaller rooms I run 2 double 18's with 2 8200s bridged, a ca9 in stereo on the 4733's.
What I just tried in a smaller room was 2 double 18's with 2 8200's bridge, and a 8200 in stereo on the 4733's.

I swear 1 ca9 hit harder then a 8200.

John Sabine

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 05:27:54 PM »

**1Khz @ <0.1% T.H.D+N
This kind of rating always bothers me. 1khz is relatively easy to drive. How bout 20hz. Whats it gonna do at that frequency, or better yet, what's it going to do with a real world signal.

"10 Hz – 30 kHz"; +0, -3 dB at rated 4ohm power

Impressive bandwidth but seemingly no headroom at rated power. In fact, unless I'm badly mistaken, this rating says that this amp is more realistically a 900 watt @ 4 ohm per channel amplifier if you want to guarantee 3db of headroom over the full audio spectrum.

The amp also lists a possible current draw at 2 ohms of 5920 watts at 1/3rd power. That is the possibility of almost 50 amps of current for this one amplifier if you happen to add a second set of 728's.   As it is you still have the possibility of drawing 35 amps with one 5500 and your current rig.

What I'm saying is to really evaluate what your needs are and then make a purchase based on that instead of price. Also make an honest evaluation of your power requirements and make sure that those are met at each venue. If your power requirements can't be met then make sure that you scale back to meet the limitations of the venue. If you can't do that then write your apology in advance so you can recite it to the club owner while you are under the stress of him yelling at you because the sound keeps dying. :)

"I think it needs more barn"

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 06:46:05 PM »

I swear 1 ca9 hit harder then a 8200.

I wouldn't doubt it. A certain sound co. did fairly extensive testing of the old crest Pro amps vs. the  light weight x200 Pro series when they started shipping some time ago. The conclusion was that you had to jump up significantly in both rated output and cost to get similar performance and that it still wasn't as good. IOW, to match the 7001 on sub duty, you would need to step up to the 9200. Similar comparisons were also made with other brands of lightweight amps of the time. The final verdict was that it just wasn't worth it. The CA Crest series is a similar design to the old Pros. So I would expect similar results. I believe that the CA was less robust in terms of portable tour duty as the chassis wasn't as strong. IIRC, the designs were very close but lower cost parts were used in the CA.

Greg
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:32:26 PM »

I wouldn't doubt it. A certain sound co. did fairly extensive testing of the old crest Pro amps vs. the  light weight x200 Pro series when they started shipping some time ago. The conclusion was that you had to jump up significantly in both rated output and cost to get similar performance and that it still wasn't as good. IOW, to match the 7001 on sub duty, you would need to step up to the 9200. Similar comparisons were also made with other brands of lightweight amps of the time. The final verdict was that it just wasn't worth it. The CA Crest series is a similar design to the old Pros. So I would expect similar results. I believe that the CA was less robust in terms of portable tour duty as the chassis wasn't as strong. IIRC, the designs were very close but lower cost parts were used in the CA.

Greg

Great a 7001 has like 1600w, a 9200 6500w when bridged.

2 of my double 18's I wired with a switch so I could run them by-amp.  Reason for this was I was only going to run 2 dbl 18's in the beginning with 4 v1500's bridged. I did this for a short time.  From what I found, the 2 1500's bridged were just as good as 1 8200.  So thats 3 kw vs 4.5 kw.
 With 4 dbl 18's I would need 8 v1500's, to much space and wieght.

What to do?

Anyone in the Western Ny area got a cc 5500 I could rent for a night?
The horns in the 4733's are not on.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:43:46 PM by Alan Sledzieski »

Bob Lee

• RF Venue, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »

On occassions where both amps were forced to share a single 20 amp circuit, they never tripped the breaker, but their performance was very noticably diminished.

How could sharing the AC circuit diminish their performance?
Bob Lee KN6PXS
Application Engineer / Trainer RF Venue
Fellow, Audio Engineering Society

"If it sounds good, it is good." —Duke Ellington

Alan Sledzieski

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »

How could sharing the AC circuit diminish their performance?

If the voltage drops the output of the amp will.   Plug a light bulb into a outlet, then plug a hairdrier into the same outlet.  Turn the hairdrier on and watch the bulb get dimmer.
 So if you have two amps on 1 circuit, the current will be high.  If its a old place with crap wiring the voltage may go down sum. 
 I wouldn't say performance would be greatly diminished, but it would be a little.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 23 queries.