ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Say Something  (Read 12099 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Say Something
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 11:17:32 AM »

Right on all counts, which is why I think this is as good a symbol as any. It's not used anywhere else, so  far as I know, and it has a logical backstory for the cognoscenti. It makes more sense than the Greek letter phi, which starts with a ph sound just like that word we're not supposed to use, although it is nostalgic for those of us who spent our youths reading motor name plates. -1 has a certain cool, like if you think you're  a "real engineer" you can explain to others why it's called that. Everyone got used to "1/0" for power switches, for what that's worth. (And, following the same ill conceived logic, a mute would be "0". I'm fine with a pad being "-20dB", for example, and phantom power being "48V".)

Personally, I like my controls labeled using, possibly abbreviated, words in my native language, but know that that is impractical in today's international markets. I once thought it would be a joke to have a complex interface like that of an airliner labeled with icons instead of English, and if you look at the latest generation of avionics it's becoming reality. Dear me, dunno what I'm gonna do. -F   
In a console you can just about leave it unlabeled, since experienced users will figure out what it is by process of elimination, and inexperienced users don't need to know it's there.

In my console crystal ball (dusty from lack of use) we will be working from a virtual control surface, using VR goggles. You can use any language controls legend you want, or even fully custom labels.

JR   
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 05:19:33 PM »

J.R.  I think you meant Augmented Reality.  Where the displayed info overlays the real world.  David Brin and other predicted this long ago and it's getting closer.

With VR, the band might actually sound good in spite of what they were doing.  They might even look good too, which might be a boon to us old farts.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »

J.R.  I think you meant Augmented Reality.  Where the displayed info overlays the real world.  David Brin and other predicted this long ago and it's getting closer.

With VR, the band might actually sound good in spite of what they were doing.  They might even look good too, which might be a boon to us old farts.
Tag you're it... you know the new lingo you finish it for me....

Yes I was thinking like google glas that I think you can see through (?)... In my controller a camera can see your hands to interpret hand and finger gestures with context (like i'm squeezing his head... for compression).  ;D (only half joking).

Mr Softy has a new one but like $3K for the system.

JR

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 09:54:51 PM »

My son says his friend has a device that projects a laser keyboard on any surface that you can type on-should be too difficult to adapt that to a control surface.  Put a stage box at the stage, connect via CAT5e or CAT 6 and project your "console" on to any convenient flat surface.  A console in your pocket labeled in the language of your choice.
Steve Swaffer

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 10:13:07 PM »

My son says his friend has a device that projects a laser keyboard on any surface that you can type on-should be too difficult to adapt that to a control surface.  Put a stage box at the stage, connect via CAT5e or CAT 6 and project your "console" on to any convenient flat surface.  A console in your pocket labeled in the language of your choice.
Yup I wrote about that years ago... a linear extrapolation between a keyboard and a control surface, but the resolution required to parse out a pot twist is a lot harder than a key hit.

JR

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2016, 02:30:58 AM »

I predict the next virtualized input will consist of wristbands with accelerometers, one on each hand. No surface will be needed for data entry; the motion of your fingers will be translated to your wrists which can be interpreted as keystrokes or other input. Type away at the air! Sign language to text will also be a possibility.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

David Buckley

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 05:30:00 AM »

I've been saying iot for some years: the Playstation generation haven't had their go at designing how mixing works - yet.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 09:24:54 AM »

I've been saying iot for some years: the Playstation generation haven't had their go at designing how mixing works - yet.

What is old is new: The conductor of an orchestra gestures to make the mix sound good. Just like gesturing to the control surface to make adjustments. 
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 01:46:51 PM »

What is old is new: The conductor of an orchestra gestures to make the mix sound good. Just like gesturing to the control surface to make adjustments.

I gesture to guitar players all the time, and it doesn't get them to turn down. Am I using the wrong gestures?  ;D

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 04:47:28 PM »

I gesture to guitar players all the time, and it doesn't get them to turn down. Am I using the wrong gestures?  ;D

Generally, "down" is not signified by pointing the middle finger upward. That might be a source of misunderstanding.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 04:47:28 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.