ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marketplace Ad  (Read 4354 times)

Aaron Maurer

Marketplace Ad
« on: February 03, 2016, 02:41:56 PM »

So the ad in the marketplace is selling Clair 12MA Monitors. Their is a picture in the add of the amp rack and it has a plug with two 110V plugs feeding into one large plug. Can someone explain what or how that works?  Are they plugging into two separate 110v outlets and feeding the amp rack

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Marketplace Ad
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 02:51:14 PM »

So the ad in the marketplace is selling Clair 12MA Monitors. Their is a picture in the add of the amp rack and it has a plug with two 110V plugs feeding into one large plug. Can someone explain what or how that works?  Are they plugging into two separate 110v outlets and feeding the amp rack
That's not a kosher way to connect.  You cannot combine multiple Edison inputs into a larger plug - either to increase the current carrying capability, or what's more often attempted - to get 240v (or at least feed both legs of the distro) from multiple 120v circuits.  Issues include a lack of a common disconnect - backfed current could potentially make one of the male plugs energized, risk of shorting multiple hots together if you plug in to a miswired receptacle, etc.

Friends don't let friends use adapters like this.

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:03:18 PM »

That's not a kosher way to connect.  You cannot combine multiple Edison inputs into a larger plug - either to increase the current carrying capability, or what's more often attempted - to get 240v (or at least feed both legs of the distro) from multiple 120v circuits.  Issues include a lack of a common disconnect - backfed current could potentially make one of the male plugs energized, risk of shorting multiple hots together if you plug in to a miswired receptacle, etc.

Friends don't let friends use adapters like this.
Didn't look good and is why I posted it. You confirmed my curiosity. Didn't even consider the back feed to the othe Edison plug if only one side is plugged in.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 10:48:50 PM »

Didn't look good and is why I posted it. You confirmed my curiosity. Didn't even consider the back feed to the othe Edison plug if only one side is plugged in.

These kinds of adapters are pretty common in the field. I've personally used things like this many times.  That being said, depending on the specific wiring of the adapter, they can be dangerous if you don't pay attention what you're doing.   They aren't known as 'suicide plugs' for nothing.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »

These kinds of adapters are pretty common in the field. I've personally used things like this many times.  That being said, depending on the specific wiring of the adapter, they can be dangerous if you don't pay attention what you're doing.   They aren't known as 'suicide plugs' for nothing.

We have a couple in the shop to power up stuff for testing and maintenance.  They are not used in the field by anyone except me.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Fruits

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »

I didn't know if I should start a new thread or just add to this one but.....
I found this one rather cringe worthy:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,158473.0.html
At least it isn't modified orange extension cables. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »

I didn't know if I should start a new thread or just add to this one but.....
I found this one rather cringe worthy:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,158473.0.html
At least it isn't modified orange extension cables.
I've seen worse, and for most venues it would be an upgrade if they moved to this cabling. 

There are a few issues - handi boxes aren't listed for portable use, and the knockouts are dangerous, as they can be pressed in and touch conductive things, or be missing and allow access for fingers to touch conductive things.  I'd rather use this style of stringer if it was in good shape than the "squid" adapter at the top of this thread.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.