ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: congo drum??  (Read 1235 times)

Greg S. Taylor

congo drum??
« on: October 31, 2005, 03:09:12 AM »

Oh boy....  what a weekend.  Ok This is has probably been my first really stressful weekend.  I felt like I was fighting the board.  

Anyway...  New combo choir, first time... was a little too crazy for me.  We managed ok.  My biggest problem was probably the congo drum.  Don't know where that came from...  didn't ask.  But it was reverberating all over the place... put a piece of carpet under it, asked him to play softer and pointed every mic away from it.   Still was a problem  Later I thought I probably should have put a blanket or pillow in it...  

anyway... I know he will be back... Anyone have any congo drum experience?

Note, we are in a highly reflective temporary location.  (think cafeteria)  Just would like some ideas for next time and be a little more prepared.  

Thanks!
Greg Taylor
BTC Sound Tech Lead

Erwin Mol

Re: congo drum??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 08:29:44 AM »

Hi Greg,

What type of microphone are you using? If you're using a condenser mic, you could try a dynamic mic. I'd use a Shure Beta57 or a Sennheiser E604 (if that's more in your budget).

Reverb of percussion is for a great part about the skins. Maybe he hasn't tuned it well or is using a fairly new one.

If nothing else works: you could use a gate on that channel.

Regards,
Erwin

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 10:05:47 AM »

What is the rest of the band comprised of, instrumentally?

In a rock band, I usually have to mic congos pretty well to get good volume from them.  Its strange to me that you couldnt keep them quiet.

Reading your post, it seems that you have no mics on them right now.  Is that right?

You could sneak some pillows up into the drums Smile  (dont do that, its a joke)

cl

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Re: conga drum
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 01:27:22 PM »

In addition to what the others have said, if you want the musician to listen to your requests and advice, you might try calling the instrument he plays by the same name he does, conga. I have never been in the position of needing the conga player to play softer, but I'm a sucker for Latin percussion.  Cool

Mac

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 05:15:15 PM »

touche, mac

congas, indeed

cl

Greg S. Taylor

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 02:44:44 AM »

actually I knew it was a conga too... strange I typed it wrong... but I was pretty tired at the time.  

Hey I thought about the pillows... or a blanket... don't laugh!!  It was that bad and that loud.  He is a nice guy...  so no worries.  It was on a tile floor that I put a piece of carpet on...  

Anyway... thanks for the help...  we will think about it some more.  

think of a conga in the middle of a gym... that is about what it was.  Maybe it wasn't tuned quite right.. he did mention it was new ...  so we got a louder reverberation.  Got me.  

thanks!
Greg Taylor
BTC Sound Tech Lead

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 02:44:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.