ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha QL preamp sharing  (Read 8333 times)

Brian Larson

Yamaha QL preamp sharing
« on: February 23, 2016, 02:47:34 PM »

Considering upgrading to the QL. I've heard bad things about the gain sharing implementation with the LS9s/SB1608. Is this feature better with the QLs and RIO units?

I can rent other QL consoles and RIO boxes very easily locally. I've never needed a copper split before but some shows just came up that will require a separate monitor console and it seems to make more sense to buy a console with integrated digital snake functionality than to invest in a copper split IF and only if the gain sharing has been improved. Otherwise we'll just buy another LS9 and a used hard split.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Yamaha QL preamp sharing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 07:43:35 PM »

Considering upgrading to the QL. I've heard bad things about the gain sharing implementation with the LS9s/SB1608. Is this feature better with the QLs and RIO units?

What sort of "bad things" have you heard?

At the Yamaha workshop, the presenters simply stated pros and cons of gain sharing over the RIO.  I don't recall them mentioning it being "new and improved" - nor did anyone ask the question.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Kevin Kimmel

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »

I can rent other QL consoles and RIO boxes very easily locally. I've never needed a copper split before but some shows just came up that will require a separate monitor console and it seems to make more sense to buy a console with integrated digital snake functionality than to invest in a copper split IF and only if the gain sharing has been improved. Otherwise we'll just buy another LS9 and a used hard split.

Brian, the Gain Compensation in CL/QL series works great and is quite different than previous series consoles.  To shed some light, here's a link to a few videos that explain how it works.  I've personally used GC on well over 100 bands, and never with a problem.  it also can be very handy to use when recording and/or mixing IEMs, because when Gain Compensation is engaged and a head amp is adjusted, no network devices detect a volume change, lending itself to consistent levels when recording so that when mixing down a recorded show, the engineer doesn't need to make changes for head amps that were changed during the performance.
I hope this helps, see section 4...

http://yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/downloads_brwstype_detail.php?prodID=1131&doc_type=Guide
Kevin Kimmel
Yamaha Mixer Product Manager

Brian Larson

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:50:09 PM »

Brian, the Gain Compensation in CL/QL series works great and is quite different than previous series consoles.  To shed some light, here's a link to a few videos that explain how it works.  I've personally used GC on well over 100 bands, and never with a problem.  it also can be very handy to use when recording and/or mixing IEMs, because when Gain Compensation is engaged and a head amp is adjusted, no network devices detect a volume change, lending itself to consistent levels when recording so that when mixing down a recorded show, the engineer doesn't need to make changes for head amps that were changed during the performance.
I hope this helps, see section 4...

http://yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/downloads_brwstype_detail.php?prodID=1131&doc_type=Guide

Thanks Kevin! Anyone else have personal experience with these units? Someone tell me it sucks so I don't have to spend any money!

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 10:49:31 PM »

Don't want to hijack the thread but this is a related question.

I normally use my Rio with my QL1. I have the Dante card in a 01v96i and will be using it with the Rio (without the QL1) for a show, using the R-Remote software to control the head amps.

When using R-Remote, if I use the HPF in the Rio will I need to remember to turn them off prior to using them with the QL1 again? I think the question is on the QL1 if you enable or disable the HPF on a channel, is it the same HPF that is built into the Rio or a separate one in the QL1.

Would hate to have a HPF enabled in the Rio and not able to turn it back off without R-Remote.

Thanks if anyone knows..
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Ade Stuart

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 07:29:08 AM »

Don't want to hijack the thread but this is a related question.

I normally use my Rio with my QL1. I have the Dante card in a 01v96i and will be using it with the Rio (without the QL1) for a show, using the R-Remote software to control the head amps.

When using R-Remote, if I use the HPF in the Rio will I need to remember to turn them off prior to using them with the QL1 again? I think the question is on the QL1 if you enable or disable the HPF on a channel, is it the same HPF that is built into the Rio or a separate one in the QL1.

Would hate to have a HPF enabled in the Rio and not able to turn it back off without R-Remote.

Thanks if anyone knows..

If the Rio is in refresh mode, when you connect it back to the QL1 it will look at the QL1 for it's settings. I've never used a Rio with a 01v96i but I would think you may need to have the Rio in Resume mode in this scenario else a power cycle may loose the Rio settings.

There is a HPF on the QL which is separate to the HPF on the Rio. Both can be controlled and recalled from the QL.

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 11:57:18 PM »

Thanks Kevin! Anyone else have personal experience with these units? Someone tell me it sucks so I don't have to spend any money!
I don't have time to write much, but I'll second what Kevin said.  Our venue has CL5s at FON and MON in the main auditorium and the gain compensation works great.  We also have a couple QL5s in other rooms being used my themselves.  I like them.
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 04:44:39 AM »

You have a whole lot more flexibility with a copper split, most notably the ability to use a different brand of console for FOH and Monitors depending on the bands requests.

I would look into your ability to rent a split when you need it, then you can stick with the console you have if you otherwise have no problems with it. If the need arises often enough for you then you can look into purchasing one, with digital consoles I have found that the need for Isolated snakes has really gone away, and since it sounds like you are using remote stage boxes you only need short tails on both sides of your snake, so the price of entry for a copper split is a lot lower than it used to be.

Andrew Hollis

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 05:19:35 PM »

I think the issue is that many people for some reason think gain sharing/tracking is evil or bad to your audio. Which is false if you know how to set gain properly!

Gain sharing works exactly the same on every digital console that has it. The analog goes up and the digital goes down. It can be no other way!

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 06:48:16 PM »

Gain sharing works exactly the same on every digital console that has it. The analog goes up and the digital goes down. It can be no other way!
Well, not entirely true. Many consoles use a system whereby one console is the "master" and has HA control, while others "compensate" via digital attenuation/gain.
The Yamaha system has no "Master" console, in that all consoles (well, 4 of them anyway) can change the gain but all receivers (consoles/RIOs/DVS, etc.) will be sent a compensated signal. Changing the HA gain only changes the S/N ratio, not the level for any attached device, when GC is enabled.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 06:48:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.