ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDBaseT Extenders  (Read 5041 times)

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
HDBaseT Extenders
« on: February 22, 2016, 04:13:11 PM »

I did a bit of searching on the forum and came up without any good suggestions.  I am looking for a suggestion on a HDBaseT extender.  Input and output would be HDMI.  The key feature I need is some sort of audio out on the receiver end to send to a FOH mixer. 

None of my projectors have an HDMI connector but do have DVI.  I have had pretty good luck with an HDMI to DVI cable.

Thanks,
Chris

Cailen Waddell

Re: HDBaseT Extenders
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »

I think it would be easier to get the HD base t set and then get an HDMI audio de-embedder. 

We use we lots of Monoprice HD base t sets.  They are cheap and reliable....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:36:20 PM »

I did a bit of searching on the forum and came up without any good suggestions.  I am looking for a suggestion on a HDBaseT extender.  Input and output would be HDMI.  The key feature I need is some sort of audio out on the receiver end to send to a FOH mixer. 

None of my projectors have an HDMI connector but do have DVI.  I have had pretty good luck with an HDMI to DVI cable.

Thanks,
Chris

It sounds like you're trying to do two separate things here: one is to send audio from a source device to your FOH mixer. The other is to send video to your projector. To help us help you, please elaborate.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:06:45 PM »

Key Digital extender set with audio de-embedder in the receiver.  Possibly a Radial Pro AV2. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 01:44:28 AM »

It sounds like you're trying to do two separate things here: one is to send audio from a source device to your FOH mixer. The other is to send video to your projector. To help us help you, please elaborate.

Scott, this correct.  The problem is that the source device has HDMI only.  I have a rack that distributes 5 DirectTV boxes throughout a college restaurant/bar environment.  One DirectTV box is sent to a main projection screen.  The original setup uses HDMI out of the DirectTV box and goes into an Atlona Matrix switcher then sends out HDbaseT to the displays.

I want to take a feed from one of the DirectTv boxes and send it to an alternate projector in a different location for a sports game or two.  There is an outside seating area that we are looking to setup a temporary screen and a few K12's for.  It doesn't seem like it is worth trying to pull an audio feed out of the DirectTV box and send it separately to almost the same location as the video.  Might as well make use of the cheap CAT5 run ability.

I think the senders with the de-embedder is the way to go.  It's good to hear about the Monoprice product, I am a little afraid of them for certain things.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 08:16:09 AM »

Scott, this correct.  The problem is that the source device has HDMI only.  I have a rack that distributes 5 DirectTV boxes throughout a college restaurant/bar environment.  One DirectTV box is sent to a main projection screen.  The original setup uses HDMI out of the DirectTV box and goes into an Atlona Matrix switcher then sends out HDbaseT to the displays.

I want to take a feed from one of the DirectTv boxes and send it to an alternate projector in a different location for a sports game or two.  There is an outside seating area that we are looking to setup a temporary screen and a few K12's for.  It doesn't seem like it is worth trying to pull an audio feed out of the DirectTV box and send it separately to almost the same location as the video.  Might as well make use of the cheap CAT5 run ability.

I think the senders with the de-embedder is the way to go.  It's good to hear about the Monoprice product, I am a little afraid of them for certain things.

I have no experience with the Monoprice devices, and they may work just fine for you. You may also want to look at an Atlona HDBaseT receiver, specifically the HDVS-RX:

http://atlona.com/product/at-hdvs-rx/

It will send HDMI, RS232, de-embed and BALANCE the audio, and has a built-in scaler. List is about $500, but you should be able to get it through distribution for fairly less.  If you don't have a source let me know, I'm a dealer.

Also, If your DirecTV box only has HDMI out it sounds like it's the H25. There is actually a DIN connector labeled 'A/V Out' or something like that. DirecTV usually leaves the DIN adapter behind, but sometimes they get tossed. You could pick an adapter up fairly cheap, maybe even on eBay from somebody who didn't use theirs. This will give you a component out. Not sure if that's useful to you or not, but if the projector lacks HDMI this may be your best bet.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 10:15:17 AM »

I think Scott C has it nailed down but I have a couple of questions as to the setup. 

A/V source is DirecTV and is HDMI out, will it still be converted to HDBaseT?  Does the projector have a native HDBaseT input or is there some sort of HDBaseT receiver already in place?

If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 10:10:31 PM »

I think Scott C has it nailed down but I have a couple of questions as to the setup. 

A/V source is DirecTV and is HDMI out, will it still be converted to HDBaseT?  Does the projector have a native HDBaseT input or is there some sort of HDBaseT receiver already in place?

I think I read somewhere that Atlona and few others all use the same conversion guts so the likely difference is build quality.  I would probably put my money into the Altona gear over Monoprice unless some more people stick up for Monoprice.  Also with the Atlona matrix switcher already in place it makes sense to stay with them.  I considered hijacking the current Atlona receiver that is installed but decided it would be better to not touch that one.  I should just buy TX and RX, I'm sure I would get more use out of them that just this. 

Tom, in this case I'm not really thinking too much about the end set up.  The goal is to get DirectTV from point A to B on a single run.  The matrix switcher I already mentioned is the transmitter.  I could unplug the HDMI and use a new run, but I would most likely just swap out the temporary CAT5 run at the switcher.  The TX box I buy will be bonus. 

I was actually doing something else in the rack just a bit ago and found that the DirectTV boxes do have component video and LR out.  They seem to be active at the same time.  I still don't want to have to run a separate audio feed for as temporary as this is.  I think I will end up doing the Atlona boxes, with the mentioned unit audio will be de-embedded without another device.  From there I can make a cable to go from the phoenix connector into a mixer or DI.  My only unknown is if there will be any HDCP issues with the HDMI to DVI.  Most of the computers I have used it with have worked, I haven't tried anything yet like a DirectTV box. 

Thanks everyone,
Chris

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 12:02:07 AM »

...My only unknown is if there will be any HDCP issues with the HDMI to DVI.  Most of the computers I have used it with have worked, I haven't tried anything yet like a DirectTV box. 

Thanks everyone,
Chris
As long as your entire chain is compliant, HDCP shouldn't be an issue. Maintaining that blasted handshake is the biggest issue, usually because the cable isn't good enough to keep the errors infrequent enough. Stay within 250ft and you should be fine. I prefer CAT6a from professional experience.

- Jordan Wolf
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 12:02:07 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.