ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CL5 & Dante recording issues w/Reaper  (Read 22751 times)

Loren Aguey

• New York City
CL5 & Dante recording issues w/Reaper
« on: February 17, 2016, 04:58:56 PM »

I'm currently touring with a small dante setup that consists of a CL5, a QL1 on monitors, a couple Rio's and a couple mac minis one of which running DVS for virtual sound check and recording.

The show is about 40 inputs and every time I multi-track into reaper (straight off the Rios) they all end up with a fast static popping type sound. It sounds like a clock issue but after going through all the settings I can't find any obvious problem.

I've tried this on my Macbook Pro with Reaper, same results. Tried on a different laptop running Adobe Audition, and besides a couple tracks that ended up out of sync somehow, the tracks were glitch free. Which of course leads me to believe its a setting in Reaper that isn't playing nicely but there are no digital sync settings that I can find. Buffer is at its highest setting.

Preferred master is the CL5, everything at 48k including DVS. I've recorded of from a Dante card in an LS9 into my same laptop with no glitches.

Attached are some pics of Dante and misc. clock settings. Sorry for the blurriness. I did a search and found that people have had issues but have yet to find a solution to my issue.

Has anyone ran a similar setup ran into this?

Loren Aguey

• New York City
Re: CL5 & Dante recording issues w/Reaper
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »

More pics

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 05:07:08 PM »

More pics

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 06:05:27 PM »

What do you mean "right off the rios"?

When I have done this, I had a gig network switch that I connected a QL1, a Rio box and 2 MacBooks. Worked fine.

We did initially have trouble until we figured out that the desk and stage box were at incompatible firmware levels.

The clock should be from the Dante network and not the internal CL5 clock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 06:28:17 PM »

Hi Loren,

I have had similar issues.

When trying to record to Protools 11 on my Windows 7 laptop and DVS, I get similar errors, and the session slows to a crawl.

When recording to Protools 10 on the building's Mac Pro 1.1 and OSX 10.6.8 also using DVS, I have none of these problems.

I'm convinced that this is a problem with DVS. But I have tried downgrading to older versions of DVS and running the most current version available and there is not change. I'm not sure why the same hardware set up would work fine on our Mac Pro but not on my Windows 7 laptop.

Here's a pic of my DVS clock page.

I have yet to figure this out. I'll be recording again this weekend and will try more troubleshooting.

I even emailed Audinate about this but never heard anything back.

Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 08:54:54 PM »

I have issues with DVS playback on a win7 machine and CL consoles. Inevitably a console reboot is required to get the subscription to take, and even then signal will come in fits and spurts, like DVS is dropping clock sync.

Ade Stuart

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 09:08:13 PM »

I'm currently touring with a small dante setup that consists of a CL5, a QL1 on monitors, a couple Rio's and a couple mac minis one of which running DVS for virtual sound check and recording.

The show is about 40 inputs and every time I multi-track into reaper (straight off the Rios) they all end up with a fast static popping type sound. It sounds like a clock issue but after going through all the settings I can't find any obvious problem.

I've tried this on my Macbook Pro with Reaper, same results. Tried on a different laptop running Adobe Audition, and besides a couple tracks that ended up out of sync somehow, the tracks were glitch free. Which of course leads me to believe its a setting in Reaper that isn't playing nicely but there are no digital sync settings that I can find. Buffer is at its highest setting.

Preferred master is the CL5, everything at 48k including DVS. I've recorded of from a Dante card in an LS9 into my same laptop with no glitches.

Attached are some pics of Dante and misc. clock settings. Sorry for the blurriness. I did a search and found that people have had issues but have yet to find a solution to my issue.

Has anyone ran a similar setup ran into this?

Some thoughts
Is the issue just on the record?
What switches are you using and how are they configured?
Some  of the version 3 firmware had issues at the lowest latencies, setting latency to 1ms then back down again fixed it. Can you try higher latency settings?
I can't quite see from the screen shots but you should set Dante as the clock master and slave the CL5 to Dante
There were issues with 64bit reaper and DVS at least on PC, not sure about mac, I'm also not sure if they have been resolved. Can you try a 32bit version of reaper?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 09:54:39 PM »

This started happening to me about a year ago. But I haven't done anything with it in about six months. I'll try beating on this some more this week and see if I can figure anything else out.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Loren Aguey

• New York City
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 10:29:15 PM »

When I have done this, I had a gig network switch that I connected a QL1, a Rio box and 2 MacBooks. Worked fine.

We did initially have trouble until we figured out that the desk and stage box were at incompatible firmware levels.

The clock should be from the Dante network and not the internal CL5 clock.

All I meant by right off the Rios is that the DVS inputs are straight from the stage boxes, not direct outs of the console or anything like that.

Some thoughts
Is the issue just on the record?
What switches are you using and how are they configured?
Some  of the version 3 firmware had issues at the lowest latencies, setting latency to 1ms then back down again fixed it. Can you try higher latency settings?
I can't quite see from the screen shots but you should set Dante as the clock master and slave the CL5 to Dante
There were issues with 64bit reaper and DVS at least on PC, not sure about mac, I'm also not sure if they have been resolved. Can you try a 32bit version of reaper?

Yes live everything has been working with zero issues. Just in the recording and apparently just in Reaper. Tomorrow I'll dust off my ilok and give Pro Tools a shot. And yeah I can give 32bit reaper a shot as well.

Ok on the console, Dante 48k is set to the clock master. In Dante controller, the CL5 show is set to the preferred master, and under sync status is listed as master.

Is it possible this is config is totally fine or live and causing an issue with the recording?

Don't know the switches off the top of my head but everything is in redundant mode and there is no energy saving or anything going on with any of the switches.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 11:01:41 PM »

Hmmm, when I did it, I took outs from the mixer, not direct from the stage box.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 11:01:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.