ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Ui  (Read 8577 times)

Stan Shields

Soundcraft Ui
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »

Anybody successfully connected a Ui to a router via ethernet cable?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Soundcraft Ui
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:39:36 PM »

Anybody successfully connected a Ui to a router via ethernet cable?

What do you need the router for?  Are you trying to connect from a network other than the one the UI is connected to?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stan Shields

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:58:03 PM »

What do you need the router for?  Are you trying to connect from a network other than the one the UI is connected to?
I have an Apple airport connected to my Soundcraft Expression so I can use my iPad. I want to use the ui for a drum submix and I thought I could run a second cat5 (in addition to my main snake) so I'm not using the wifi. That way I won't have to switch wifi networks to go back and forth between Visi for the Expression and the Ui GUI.
I'm not much of a network guy so this could be a crazy idea...

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 02:19:05 AM »

I have an Apple airport connected to my Soundcraft Expression so I can use my iPad. I want to use the ui for a drum submix and I thought I could run a second cat5 (in addition to my main snake) so I'm not using the wifi. That way I won't have to switch wifi networks to go back and forth between Visi for the Expression and the Ui GUI.
I'm not much of a network guy so this could be a crazy idea...

You don't need a router for that, you need a switch, or something with one in it.  Some routers have a small switch built in.  Not sure which airport you have.

In any case you are not using the router functionality.  Many people confuse the functions of routers, switches and wireless bridges (Access Points).

Please see this thread, it should help clear things up:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,158019.0.html

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 02:40:21 AM »

Would it not have the same benefit as it does with the Behringer XR18?

Without it, you can either have wired connection OR wireless.  With an external router, you can connect wired and wireless at the same time.

Steve.

Stan Shields

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 10:06:47 AM »

You don't need a router for that, you need a switch, or something with one in it.  Some routers have a small switch built in.  Not sure which airport you have.

In any case you are not using the router functionality.  Many people confuse the functions of routers, switches and wireless bridges (Access Points).

I'm using an Apple Airport express. So do you think I can connect the Airport express to the Soundcraft Ui via the Ui's ethernet port and run the Ui GUI from the iPad that's on the Airport Express wifi WAP?

Tom Burgess

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 01:32:16 PM »

I'm using an Apple Airport express. So do you think I can connect the Airport express to the Soundcraft Ui via the Ui's ethernet port and run the Ui GUI from the iPad that's on the Airport Express wifi WAP?
Yes, you can do this.  As to whether or not it will be useful is another question.  If your iPad will multitask thus keeping whichever App is in the background alive, then it may work well.  If not then switching from App to App may be cumbersome.  You could always keep the Ui GUI open on another device, be it iPad or otherwise.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Stan Shields

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »

Yes, you can do this.  As to whether or not it will be useful is another question.  If your iPad will multitask thus keeping whichever App is in the background alive, then it may work well.  If not then switching from App to App may be cumbersome.  You could always keep the Ui GUI open on another device, be it iPad or otherwise.
Agreed. It will be a drum mix so once it's together I don't expect to have to mess with it much. It sounds like I will need to manually enter the subnetmask and stuff into the router, not sure how to do that but I'll figure it out.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 05:28:28 PM »

Agreed. It will be a drum mix so once it's together I don't expect to have to mess with it much. It sounds like I will need to manually enter the subnetmask and stuff into the router, not sure how to do that but I'll figure it out.

You keep going back to saying "router", I don't know what you mean by manually entering the IP and subnet mask.

You want both devices you want to talk to in the same network.  Not two different networks. 

Did you read the thread I posted a link to?  If you don't understand a concept ask for it to be clarified. 

What Airport do you have?  Does it have a switch built in?

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stan Shields

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »

You keep going back to saying "router", I don't know what you mean by manually entering the IP and subnet mask.

You want both devices you want to talk to in the same network.  Not two different networks. 

Did you read the thread I posted a link to?  If you don't understand a concept ask for it to be clarified. 

What Airport do you have?  Does it have a switch built in?
Airport express, no switch and only a single LAN port so I would need to use some other WAP. I saw at least one other post stating that the Soundcraft Ui did not provide an I.P. address so the data had to be entered manually. Sorry to annoy you by using incorrect terminology, I'm just an audio guy.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 06:16:53 PM »

Airport express, no switch and only a single LAN port so I would need to use some other WAP. I saw at least one other post stating that the Soundcraft Ui did not provide an I.P. address so the data had to be entered manually. Sorry to annoy you by using incorrect terminology, I'm just an audio guy.

It's not a matter of annoyance, need to make sure you are understanding the moving parts.

I don't know of any WAP's that have switches so just run you airport in bridge mode and hook up the airport LAN interface and the Ui and the other device to the switch.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stan Shields

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 10:27:02 AM »

It's not a matter of annoyance, need to make sure you are understanding the moving parts.

I don't know of any WAP's that have switches so just run you airport in bridge mode and hook up the airport LAN interface and the Ui and the other device to the switch.

Will do, thanks for all the good info Scott.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 10:49:51 AM »

Is this roughly what you're talking about?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:52:25 AM by Tom Burgess »
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Stan Shields

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 11:02:49 AM »

Is this roughly what you're talking about?
Yeah, that's what I had in mind, unless I can find a WAP with a switch built in. Fewer boxes is better, I started using the Airport express because of it's size and lack of an external antenna, I hate to add more boxes...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 11:02:49 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.