ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Advice - Buy a Box Truck or Rent  (Read 20264 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Need Advice - Buy a Box Truck or Rent
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 07:25:37 PM »

I'm trying to envision holding a KF850 on a dolly steady with one hand while running the lift (which is never level or smooth operating) with the other.  I went from moving Multiliths (small printing presses) to selling pianos and having to help with deliveries in my youth.  Doing one thing at a time slowly you could block wheels and brace things.  Running bunches of big boxes up and down under a time limit would be a whole different thing.

It can be done quickly.  And with KF850s [ask me how i know].

The trick is having the right lift.  Ours was a Level Lift which tilts to remain level all the up it's travel.  Our lift plate also had these nifty little flip up toe brace things.  No idea how to describe and i can't find a picture real quick.  But basically you would roll the cases up the inclined ramp at ground level and over a spring loaded thin wide plate that would spring up behind the wheels once they passed over it.  The inclined lift would brace the wheels against the plate and voila.  one man loading.  i loaded many a truck with just me or one more guy in the truck that way.  And we loaded 1600 pound cases on to the truck on a regular basis.

p.s.  apparently what we had was a WaltCo Cantilever Liftgate with Split Foot Activated Cart Stops.    The thing was brilliant.  ill be damned if i can find a picture though....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 08:59:53 PM »

From Ricks " if it wasn't heavy we wouldn't own it" school of inventory design?

...  And we loaded 1600 pound cases on to the truck on a regular basis...

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 09:45:03 PM »

From Ricks " if it wasn't heavy we wouldn't own it" school of inventory design?

You're familiar?   :) :) :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

jason misterka

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 11:25:20 PM »

It can be done quickly.  And with KF850s [ask me how i know].

The trick is having the right lift.  Ours was a Level Lift which tilts to remain level all the up it's travel.  Our lift plate also had these nifty little flip up toe brace things.  No idea how to describe and i can't find a picture real quick.  But basically you would roll the cases up the inclined ramp at ground level and over a spring loaded thin wide plate that would spring up behind the wheels once they passed over it.  The inclined lift would brace the wheels against the plate and voila.  one man loading.  i loaded many a truck with just me or one more guy in the truck that way.  And we loaded 1600 pound cases on to the truck on a regular basis.

p.s.  apparently what we had was a WaltCo Cantilever Liftgate with Split Foot Activated Cart Stops.    The thing was brilliant.  ill be damned if i can find a picture though....

We had something like that lift gate that came on a used truck we puechased that was otherwise a piece of work.  Sold the truck but kept the lift gate. Best thing ever.

Otherwise, my issue with ramps is that many, if not most, 24ft- 26ft standard box trucks cannot fit an appropriate length ramp under the belly.  Unless you have a low rider, a 14ft ramp is often too steep to safely move gear up and down into a dock height truck, especially if it's wet.  An 16' ramp is better but still not great.  And these would always be narrow ramps unless you stored the ramp inside the box up on load bars.   Also not fun to get down when you roll up with a full truck of gear.

I've loaded for years with ramps, and still do from time to time.  But not my favorite.  The other thing about lift gates is that it can help regulate the speed that the "pro" crew throws cases at you...

Jason

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 12:17:09 AM »

Speaking of lifts, anybody here had the pleasure of a mid-winter load in/out at the Mother Lode Theater in Butte, Montana?  15+' of external lift to the deck, circa 1910 technology. Not to mention the fact that the trucks are parked on a 10 degree slope, and its -20 degrees F.....
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 01:00:50 AM »

Speaking of lifts, anybody here had the pleasure of a mid-winter load in/out at the Mother Lode Theater in Butte, Montana?  15+' of external lift to the deck, circa 1910 technology. Not to mention the fact that the trucks are parked on a 10 degree slope, and its -20 degrees F.....

Hydraulic (water) elevator, or I-beam with block & fall on trolley?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Dawson

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 05:14:20 AM »

My two cents, I'm in New Zealand.  I've owned larger vehicles before,  48000 lb gross weight etc.  What I've learnt is it worth having a bunch of smaller vehicles to cater for day to day, and rent in larger units for specific large show days.  Strike up a good deal with a good hire firm and they'll probably let you have a loading day on a single show day hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »

Hydraulic (water) elevator, or I-beam with block & fall on trolley?

Hydraulic elevator, on the outside of the building. A lift gate, in effect.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Omar Ortiz

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 09:51:29 PM »

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I really appreciate everyone who commented on this forum. We wound up getting a 24 ft box with a lift gate, and it is working great for us.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 10:42:58 PM »

Hydraulic elevator, on the outside of the building. A lift gate, in effect.

Little Rock, AR symphony hall/civic center auditorium has 2nd floor stage load in.  Big exterior scissor lift, 24' long x 9' wide.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 10:42:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 25 queries.