ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Pay for Shock  (Read 13839 times)

Jeff Bankston

Re: Pay for Shock
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »

A real shocker !

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »

Remember when the table tops at Wendy's had these old newspaper ads on them?  Lots of steel girdles and headbands with wires connected to hand crank generators guaranteed to cure all sorts of ailments.

As an arthritis sufferer I get a kick out of all the suggestions I get for copper bracelets and the like.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 07:56:07 PM »

As an arthritis sufferer I get a kick out of all the suggestions I get for copper bracelets and the like.

Don't get me started on copper bracelets...  :o

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 08:14:24 PM »

Don't get me started on copper bracelets...  :o
I recall reading about a guy who was electrocuted while installing a dishwasher because he was wearing his wedding ring and it caught on an energized part of the washer.

Perhaps it made the electrical connection better, and pulling away harder.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 11:03:10 PM »

I recall reading about a guy who was electrocuted while installing a dishwasher because he was wearing his wedding ring and it caught on an energized part of the washer.

Perhaps it made the electrical connection better, and pulling away harder.

JR
that happened to an electrician in the 80's. except he got it in a 277/480 panel. he got loose but lost his ring finger. it burned the skin and meat off under and around the ring. he did not return to the job. i never allow anyone on my crew to wear any kind of rings, bracelets , watches, chains. all long hair has to be in a tight pony tail. no button up the front shirts, tee shirts only.

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 11:07:27 PM »

i never allow anyone on my crew to wear any kind of rings, bracelets , watches, chains. all long hair has to be in a tight pony tail. no button up the front shirts, tee shirts only.

The first part of your list makes sense to me but why no button up shirts?

Philip

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 01:13:10 AM »

that happened to an electrician in the 80's. except he got it in a 277/480 panel. he got loose but lost his ring finger. it burned the skin and meat off under and around the ring. he did not return to the job. i never allow anyone on my crew to wear any kind of rings, bracelets , watches, chains. all long hair has to be in a tight pony tail. no button up the front shirts, tee shirts only.

Bingo.  We were taught this in Jr. High shop classes in Los Angeles in 196x and I never forgot it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:23:56 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Daniel Levi

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 01:47:05 AM »

Bingo.  We were taught this in Jr. High shop classes in Los Angeles in 196x and I never forgot it.

I take it as a button up shirt can leave skin exposed (esp. around the heart area) whereas a t-shirt won't.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 02:09:57 AM »

because the gap can get caught on something and delay you from jerking away. i dont remember any of my guys ever wearing a button up shirt.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 06:25:09 AM »

In the mid 70's I was in an engineering department designing and supervising the build of packaging machines. So while I wasn't actively wiring and welding, I would be hanging around the shop to make sure my blueprints were being followed. My boss told me in no uncertain terms that I was always to tuck in my necktie or wear a clip-on tie. When you're standing next to a big spinning lathe you don't want your face pulled down into the spinning metal if your tie gets caught.   

The guys in the welding shop also taught me a lesson about wearing low top shoes in the shop. One of them sparked a welding rod when I was standing next to them and dropped a few red-hot welding spalls into my shoe. Talk about a hot foot. That's when I started wearing steel-toed cowboy boots anytime I was heading to the shop. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 06:25:09 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.