ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Im now a noob. Help with the Nanostation.  (Read 7000 times)

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
Im now a noob. Help with the Nanostation.
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:25:36 AM »

Hello!

I way out of depth here.
Simple purpose would be to connect an audio mixing console to the AP, to control it using an iPad.

For the life of me I cannot get it to work. I would like to keep both the mixer and the ipad in DHCP mode, but either which ways.  With the regular routers its a plug and play situation. I read that the Ubiquiti products cannot do DHCP on both the LAN and WLAN ? in which case I'm ok setting up the mixer to static. I have images attached of my setup, I setup the mixer to the same IP range as of the LAN settings. What do I set the gateway to? Forexample on a Venue console?

Wireless Mode : AP

Channel Width : 20Mhz

Airmax : Off

Network Mode : Router

WAN Interface : BRIDGE0 DHCP

LAN Interface : WLAN0 DHCP enabled.
Kindly advice, and much appreciate your time.
Thank you very much.

Regards,

Sidhu

Thank you all for the time and help
My RTA is always flat.

richard_cooper

Re: Im now a noob. Help with the Nanostation.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »

Wireless Mode : AP

Channel Width : 20Mhz

Airmax : Off

Network Mode : Router

WAN Interface : BRIDGE0 DHCP

LAN Interface : WLAN0 DHCP enabled.

I'm 99% sure it's the same as the Bullet, so you'll need to set Network Mode to "Bridge" for this to work, but then you won't have any DHCP server and will need static IPs for everything (probably better anyway). See Bob Leonard's  pinned thread "A basic network diagram for sound" at the top of this forum and chapter 5 of the AirOS manual for more information.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 06:31:48 PM »

Yeah. There's a little issue with the ubiquiti software in that, there are options you can click on, and it will say "on" but if that particular function doesn't exist on your hardware it just won't work.

Iow, the software works for all the products, but yours doesn't do all of the stuff you need.

I too have a nanostation M5 that I use and it is great. It does not handle dhcp though.

I have a simple linksys wireless router inside my mixer case that handles dhcp and gives me a local 2.4 ghz network for older tablets and phones. I then run ethernet to my nanostation that is mounted on a mic stand and pointed at foh. This is run in (i think) bridge mode and does my 5ghz network.

The linksys hands out dhcp and all is hunky dory.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:18:45 PM »

Ok. thank you.
My very elementary understanding of the Bridge was that I would need to connect the NS to another router, and not directly to the console.

I am looking for a solution that I travel with on the road when on engineering duty. So carrying an additional router is not happening.
Will set all to static, and revert. Network mode to Bridge. And get back. Tx to all!

Sidhu
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:53:18 AM by Nitin Sidhu »
My RTA is always flat.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 02:49:27 AM »

Yeah. I think thats what you'll have to do.

I have 2 consoles and the nanostation plugged into the linksys router. It works great, but does require more stuff.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 03:11:31 AM »

Yeah. I think thats what you'll have to do.

I have 2 consoles and the nanostation plugged into the linksys router. It works great, but does require more stuff.

Yup, the plan for the shop is to run cat5 from the amp rack and the console/s + WL rack to a router which is connected to the NS. I will be referencing Bob's thread on that, but it should all work.

Thank you
Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

richard_cooper

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 02:23:42 PM »

Yeah. There's a little issue with the ubiquiti software in that, there are options you can click on, and it will say "on" but if that particular function doesn't exist on your hardware it just won't work.

Iow, the software works for all the products, but yours doesn't do all of the stuff you need.

I too have a nanostation M5 that I use and it is great. It does not handle dhcp though.

I have a simple linksys wireless router inside my mixer case that handles dhcp and gives me a local 2.4 ghz network for older tablets and phones. I then run ethernet to my nanostation that is mounted on a mic stand and pointed at foh. This is run in (i think) bridge mode and does my 5ghz network.

The linksys hands out dhcp and all is hunky dory.

IIRC it's not a hardware restriction. The current software only offers the DHCP server function when in "router" or "SOHO router" modes, which are not what we need here. Used in conjunction with the "Wireless Mode" setting you can do many different things, but like Bob has said in other threads knowing the difference between a router and an access point is important, and these things can be both. In the current software the DHCP server options disappear when in bridge mode.

I run my bullets thus:

Wireless Mode: Access Point
WDS (Transparent Bridge Mode): Enabled
AirMax: OFF
Network Role: Router

I used to have a RaspberryPI set up as a DHCP server for when I needed it, but static woks well enough most of the time for me.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 03:00:11 PM »

IIRC it's not a hardware restriction. The current software only offers the DHCP server function when in "router" or "SOHO router" modes, which are not what we need here. Used in conjunction with the "Wireless Mode" setting you can do many different things, but like Bob has said in other threads knowing the difference between a router and an access point is important, and these things can be both. In the current software the DHCP server options disappear when in bridge mode.

I run my bullets thus:

Wireless Mode: Access Point
WDS (Transparent Bridge Mode): Enabled
AirMax: OFF
Network Role: Router

I used to have a RaspberryPI set up as a DHCP server for when I needed it, but static woks well enough most of the time for me.

Hi Richard!

I am now a little confused, you mention that the NS works as both a router and an AP. I was under the impression our standard wireless routers (linksys etc) would act, simultaneously, as Routers and APs. But the NS could be either.

Im not too sure I find a Wireless mode setting.

I too have the NS setup with the same parameters as you, so what am I doing wrong preventing me to connect to anything ? (If I have my laptop and the iPad connected wirelessly, then I do remote control, if the laptop is connected to the NS via LAN, then no)
My RTA is always flat.

richard_cooper

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 06:58:24 PM »

Hi Richard!

I am now a little confused, you mention that the NS works as both a router and an AP. I was under the impression our standard wireless routers (linksys etc) would act, simultaneously, as Routers and APs. But the NS could be either.

Im not too sure I find a Wireless mode setting.

I too have the NS setup with the same parameters as you, so what am I doing wrong preventing me to connect to anything ? (If I have my laptop and the iPad connected wirelessly, then I do remote control, if the laptop is connected to the NS via LAN, then no)

Here are the relevant pages from my device. I set it up to have an IP address of 192.168.10.1, my laptop has the IP 192.168.10.2, and any other devices 192.168.10.x where x is a unique number for each device up to 254. Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 for every device. It's not a Nanostation but the software is the same, so should be identical. Hope this helps.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 12:13:04 PM »

Thank you all.

I have the NS set to Bridge in networking mode, AP In wireless mode.
All things connecting to it static, and it works real well. Was on a CL5 tonight.

Ill get back once I implement a router for the shop and want to have DHCP access.

For the road I would probably want ot get myself a picostation, unless suggested otherwise. Please advice.

Best Regards,
Sidhu
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:16:33 PM by Nitin Sidhu »
My RTA is always flat.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 12:13:04 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.