ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for 35mm lighting stands  (Read 6890 times)

Stephen Kirby

Looking for 35mm lighting stands
« on: February 12, 2016, 05:53:01 PM »

Since I have about 3-4 times a year when I could use a bit of light, I bought a set of integrated T-bar RGBW lights from Cheaplights.  But the 6' stands are useless.  Right in people's eyes.

Looking for something economical and there are tons of things out there 8-12' with T-bars already on them for hanging cheap PARs.  Chauvet CH06, Odyssey LT-P2, the Musicians Gear stand, etc.  But none of them say what the diameter of the top pole is when you take the T-bar off.  It looks like both 35mm and 38mm are common and I need the 35mm to go with my stuff.

Does anyone have any of these stands and know what the pole diameter is?

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: Looking for 35mm lighting stands
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 08:27:59 PM »

Since I have about 3-4 times a year when I could use a bit of light, I bought a set of integrated T-bar RGBW lights from Cheaplights.  But the 6' stands are useless.  Right in people's eyes.

Looking for something economical and there are tons of things out there 8-12' with T-bars already on them for hanging cheap PARs.  Chauvet CH06, Odyssey LT-P2, the Musicians Gear stand, etc.  But none of them say what the diameter of the top pole is when you take the T-bar off.  It looks like both 35mm and 38mm are common and I need the 35mm to go with my stuff.

I don't know the diameter of the ones that you have mentioned, but I just order a pair of Utilmate Support TS-99B stands that I am going to be using for small lighting stuff.  They have the 35mm stand top and have a height of between 5' 2" and 9' 2".  For small shows that means that I don't have to bring out set of Global ST-132 stands.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 11:34:22 PM »

The TS-99B stands have a 38mm tee bar, IIRC. You may have to look at ADJ or On-Stage. At least some of those are also drilled for bolts, rather than needing clamps.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 08:09:47 AM »

The TS-99B stands have a 38mm tee bar, IIRC. You may have to look at ADJ or On-Stage. At least some of those are also drilled for bolts, rather than needing clamps.
Mark, you are right that the telescoping tube is 38mm, however the nipple where you place the bar is 35mm.  The nipple is removable.

Thanks

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »

Mark, you are right that the telescoping tube is 38mm, however the nipple where you place the bar is 35mm.  The nipple is removable.

Thanks

Bill

Bill, thank you. I mis-read the OP's question. You are correct, there is an insert sleeve that provides a 35 mm post for a speaker top hat. I use the TS-99BL, which has a useful leveling leg feature.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 03:07:20 PM »

Steve,

Most of the cheap tall stands are 38mm (nominally 1.5") outside. Some that I have had could fit a 35mm subwoofer pole inside, and I have used that to adapt them when needed. Just crossdrill through the top of the stand and the pole to secure it.

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 07:57:11 PM »

38mm is 1 1/2"
35mm is 1 3/8"
I use 1 1/4 EMT (1 1/2 OD) for my tall uprights.
The sticks are 10 feet long, strong and cheap at Home Depot.
Cut them to length, paint them black and you're good to go.
If I need more, I use crank stands.
The 35mm spuds are more of an issue.
I should make a bunch of neck-down spuds to use with EMT for sale.
Any interest?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 08:43:12 PM »

The musician's gear stand is 35mm diameter - both stand and T-bar and for the money is very good. Tall and quite sturdy. However, although the aluminum makes it really lightweight to transport, it is necessary to spread the legs quite a bit to get back the stability.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 09:29:57 AM »

38mm is 1 1/2"
35mm is 1 3/8"
I use 1 1/4 EMT (1 1/2 OD) for my tall uprights.
The sticks are 10 feet long, strong and cheap at Home Depot.
Cut them to length, paint them black and you're good to go.
If I need more, I use crank stands.
The 35mm spuds are more of an issue.
Any interest?

If you are talking about a short (6-8"?) metal tube that will slip over a 38mm pole and then reduces to a 35mm end suitable for inserting into the bottom of a speaker, I would be interested.  Of course I would only need a couple.

It seems like for the most part speaker top hats are  typially 35mm and speaker tripods have 35mm poles to match.  But then the simple pole cups found on most older or cheaper subs seem to accept a 38mm pole. 

For the cheap lighting gear with crossbars that often feature plastic "T" fittings, it seems they are usually 38mm.  Most of the taller tripods marketed as lighting stands have 38mm poles to match.

I have ended up with a variety of tripods with both diameters.  And I often use them interchangeably for lights or small speakers.  So the difference in size has been a constant hassle.

Something another I own came with little round adpaters that slip over a 35mm tube and increase the size to 38mm.  These seem to be fairly common and make it easy to use the smaller diameter tripods with light t-bars that are 38mm.

Going the other direction, from 38mm down to 35mm so you can put a small speaker on a lighting tripod with 38mm pole is not so easy.  So your "spud" would be very useful.  Bonus points for a second pair with 7 degree tilt.

--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 03:34:08 PM »

Any interest?

Put me down for an ass load of them please.

Dozen or more (since you don't know how big our production ass is)
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 03:34:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.