ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My backstage position  (Read 11060 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
My backstage position
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:35:45 PM »

Here is a shot of Jason Glass at the RF station, with the shelf unit with 32 RAD RF comm packs from the 6 base stations. In front of Jason are the shelves with the 48? RF mic packs. The 20 odd IEM systems are down by monitor world. I also have a station up in the control room where we program the Adam system.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: My CR position
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »

Here is a view of the CR. I expect I'll spend more time down on the stage, but I've spent the past couple of days up here.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: My backstage position
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »

Here is a shot of Jason Glass at the RF station, with the shelf unit with 32 RAD RF comm packs from the 6 base stations. In front of Jason are the shelves with the 48? RF mic packs. The 20 odd IEM systems are down by monitor world. I also have a station up in the control room where we program the Adam system.

One of the things I like about jobs like this is you're always working a little beyond your experience. You learn new thing really fast when you are under that kind of pressure. Today my new knowledge is about logic programming in RTS AZ Edit, something I had not had to do before. The descriptions, and the manual are not very clear, but with a little experimenting in which logic statement really equates to which action and you can figure it out. I hope I don't have to wait too long to use the info again, so I don't forget it.

Mac

Neil White

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 02:53:35 PM »

Here is a view of the CR. I expect I'll spend more time down on the stage, but I've spent the past couple of days up here.

Looks like an interesting show. Is this a permanent studio facility or a truck?

Today my new knowledge is about logic programming in RTS AZ Edit, something I had not had to do before.

What function were you able to implement with the logic programming?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:56:13 PM »

Looks like an interesting show. Is this a permanent studio facility or a truck?

What function were you able to implement with the logic programming?

The control room is permanent, the stage is bare till we loaded in our show. Stage 1 at NBC in Burbank. The function was turning on and off the TD's listen key from the director depending on whether his headset was plugged in or not (or the hdst/spkr switch was thrown). This was to avoid feedback from the nearby station when he is listening to the speaker rather than hs.

Mac

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 12:37:05 AM »

The control room is permanent, the stage is bare till we loaded in our show. Stage 1 at NBC in Burbank. The function was turning on and off the TD's listen key from the director depending on whether his headset was plugged in or not (or the hdst/spkr switch was thrown). This was to avoid feedback from the nearby station when he is listening to the speaker rather than hs.

Mac

Can you tell us what (show or event) you are up to? Or not until it is all over?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 11:14:19 AM »

Can you tell us what (show or event) you are up to? Or not until it is all over?

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. This coming Mon-Fri from LA.

Neil White

Re: My backstage position
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 11:20:34 AM »

32 RAD RF comm packs from the 6 base stations.

How are you finding the RAD system, compared to the other usual full duplex RF comm solutions?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
R.A.D. RF comms
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »

How are you finding the RAD system, compared to the other usual full duplex RF comm solutions?

It seems pretty good. The 6 systems we have all have the latest firmware (maybe hardware) that fixes some audio level issues. The dead battery indicator on the base station is great, and the base station linking, so you can have 2 identical bases on one set frequencies is also great. Range has been fine, although Jason has setup a comprehensive antenna system with multiple zones. The software adjustments are easy, while I typed this I just stopped for a moment to change the mic gain on one of the camera packs.

As far as I can tell the audio quality is as good as a BTR, and better than most other RF PL systems, and the range is at least as good.

At the moment the packs do not supply bias voltage for electret mics so we built battery supplies that also do the 5 pin to 4 pin change for the show's custom in ear/lapel mic headsets, but my understanding is that this will be part of a future revision.

Mac

Neil White

Re: R.A.D. RF comms
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »

the base station linking, so you can have 2 identical bases on one set frequencies is also great. Range has been fine, although Jason has setup a comprehensive antenna system with multiple zones. The software adjustments are easy, while I typed this I just stopped for a moment to change the mic gain on one of the camera packs.

So the base station linking is basically the same as disabling the transmits on a second BTR unit, but the return audio path for the second set of packs is passed back through to the audio I/O on the first unit?

Can the beltpack programming from software done over the air while the packs are deployed? That was a feature I liked about freespeak2.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: R.A.D. RF comms
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.