ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which adaptor - running lights from iPad without wireless?  (Read 10050 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Which adaptor - running lights from iPad without wireless?
« on: February 10, 2016, 07:00:58 PM »

My intention is to be able to run my lights from my iPad at home without setting up the router. I like to make changes to my programming from time to time so I thought it would be handy to get an adaptor to connect things up without dragging out the wi-fi rack I use on shows.
This way I can use my Luminair software on my iPad and connect to my little Enttec ethernet/DMX box that I own - then to my lights.
I used to use the Enttec when I ran lights from my laptop and it worked great.

So I ordered a 'lightning to USB female' adaptor online but it doesn't work. My iPad tells me the adaptor is unrecognized.

I didn't get Apple brand - I didn't want to spend a whole lot just in case I was barking up the wrong tree but I think the cheaper Chinese knock off I settled for is the problem - so I need to know if I invest in a genuine  Apple adaptor - 6 times the price - whether it is the right adaptor for the job. Or do I need something else like a powered USB port or something??

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: Which adaptor - running lights from iPad without wireless?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »

I believe Enttec makes an Ethernet model and a USB model, but it doesn't have both ports. How will you get from the Lightning/USB port to the Enttec?

Can you just run a cable from your home router? Or just use an Airport Express?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 09:25:13 PM »

I believe Enttec makes an Ethernet model and a USB model, but it doesn't have both ports. How will you get from the Lightning/USB port to the Enttec?

Can you just run a cable from your home router? Or just use an Airport Express?

Not sure what you mean Scott...
I have this model Enttec...

http://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=Products&pn=70303
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »

Interesting. I have always used this model:

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70305

It connects via Ethernet to a router or switch.

How do you normally interface yours with your iPad?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 10:04:23 PM »

Interesting. I have always used this model:

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70305

It connects via Ethernet to a router or switch.

How do you normally interface yours with your iPad?

I think you misunderstood my question - or I asked it poorly...

I have the same Enttec as you for wireless lighting using my iPad and router for live shows.
My question is regarding being able to use the Luminaire program on my iPad without connecting wirelessly. I was hoping to use the Lightning to female USB cable to make this happen and wondered if this is possible.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »

So you have both the USB and the Ethernet versions of the Enttec? Or were you planning to buy the USB version just for this purpose?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 10:12:44 PM »

So you have both the USB and the Ethernet versions of the Enttec? Or were you planning to buy the USB version just for this purpose?

I have both - the little USB version is one I used to use from lighting software on my laptop before I went digital and wireless.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »

I have both - the little USB version is one I used to use from lighting software on my laptop before I went digital and wireless.

Oh gotcha. I didn't see that in your first post. Technically that USB adapter is to connect a camera to the iPad to download the pictures. It can sometimes connect certain USB devices but I don't think that's what it's actually designed to do. I think the iPad would need a driver of some sort to talk to the Enttec.

I have an extra ODE that I would sell for $200. I'm pretty sure it's unopened. I can check tomorrow.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 03:15:52 AM »

Oh gotcha. I didn't see that in your first post. Technically that USB adapter is to connect a camera to the iPad to download the pictures. It can sometimes connect certain USB devices but I don't think that's what it's actually designed to do. I think the iPad would need a driver of some sort to talk to the Enttec.

I have an extra ODE that I would sell for $200. I'm pretty sure it's unopened. I can check tomorrow.

The iPad just doesn't have enough power.  Put a powered USB hub in between them and you will be good to go.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 01:42:30 PM »

The iPad just doesn't have enough power.  Put a powered USB hub in between them and you will be good to go.

That is what I was wondering Scott - thanks....However, the fact my iPad referred to the adaptor as 'unrecognized' is a separate issue - no? Is it simply because it is a cheapy cable and I need a better quality one?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 01:42:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.