ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which adaptor - running lights from iPad without wireless?  (Read 10094 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Which adaptor - running lights from iPad without wireless?
« on: February 10, 2016, 07:00:58 PM »

My intention is to be able to run my lights from my iPad at home without setting up the router. I like to make changes to my programming from time to time so I thought it would be handy to get an adaptor to connect things up without dragging out the wi-fi rack I use on shows.
This way I can use my Luminair software on my iPad and connect to my little Enttec ethernet/DMX box that I own - then to my lights.
I used to use the Enttec when I ran lights from my laptop and it worked great.

So I ordered a 'lightning to USB female' adaptor online but it doesn't work. My iPad tells me the adaptor is unrecognized.

I didn't get Apple brand - I didn't want to spend a whole lot just in case I was barking up the wrong tree but I think the cheaper Chinese knock off I settled for is the problem - so I need to know if I invest in a genuine  Apple adaptor - 6 times the price - whether it is the right adaptor for the job. Or do I need something else like a powered USB port or something??

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: Which adaptor - running lights from iPad without wireless?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:51:24 PM »

I believe Enttec makes an Ethernet model and a USB model, but it doesn't have both ports. How will you get from the Lightning/USB port to the Enttec?

Can you just run a cable from your home router? Or just use an Airport Express?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 09:25:13 PM »

I believe Enttec makes an Ethernet model and a USB model, but it doesn't have both ports. How will you get from the Lightning/USB port to the Enttec?

Can you just run a cable from your home router? Or just use an Airport Express?

Not sure what you mean Scott...
I have this model Enttec...

http://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=Products&pn=70303
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »

Interesting. I have always used this model:

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70305

It connects via Ethernet to a router or switch.

How do you normally interface yours with your iPad?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 10:04:23 PM »

Interesting. I have always used this model:

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70305

It connects via Ethernet to a router or switch.

How do you normally interface yours with your iPad?

I think you misunderstood my question - or I asked it poorly...

I have the same Enttec as you for wireless lighting using my iPad and router for live shows.
My question is regarding being able to use the Luminaire program on my iPad without connecting wirelessly. I was hoping to use the Lightning to female USB cable to make this happen and wondered if this is possible.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »

So you have both the USB and the Ethernet versions of the Enttec? Or were you planning to buy the USB version just for this purpose?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 10:12:44 PM »

So you have both the USB and the Ethernet versions of the Enttec? Or were you planning to buy the USB version just for this purpose?

I have both - the little USB version is one I used to use from lighting software on my laptop before I went digital and wireless.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »

I have both - the little USB version is one I used to use from lighting software on my laptop before I went digital and wireless.

Oh gotcha. I didn't see that in your first post. Technically that USB adapter is to connect a camera to the iPad to download the pictures. It can sometimes connect certain USB devices but I don't think that's what it's actually designed to do. I think the iPad would need a driver of some sort to talk to the Enttec.

I have an extra ODE that I would sell for $200. I'm pretty sure it's unopened. I can check tomorrow.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 03:15:52 AM »

Oh gotcha. I didn't see that in your first post. Technically that USB adapter is to connect a camera to the iPad to download the pictures. It can sometimes connect certain USB devices but I don't think that's what it's actually designed to do. I think the iPad would need a driver of some sort to talk to the Enttec.

I have an extra ODE that I would sell for $200. I'm pretty sure it's unopened. I can check tomorrow.

The iPad just doesn't have enough power.  Put a powered USB hub in between them and you will be good to go.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 01:42:30 PM »

The iPad just doesn't have enough power.  Put a powered USB hub in between them and you will be good to go.

That is what I was wondering Scott - thanks....However, the fact my iPad referred to the adaptor as 'unrecognized' is a separate issue - no? Is it simply because it is a cheapy cable and I need a better quality one?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 01:46:20 PM »

I like to have spares of everything and would love another art-net node but these little guys are so expensive - I just keep mine wrapped in foam and installed on a shelf with my router and DMX distributer - all in in a rack for safety.
Another reason why I am trying to use a non wireless option for less those occasions where wireless is not necessary.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 01:49:44 PM »

Can you suggest a hub?.....  The only ones I have come across are powered through the USB - will that work?

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 05:00:22 PM »

I like to have spares of everything and would love another art-net node but these little guys are so expensive - I just keep mine wrapped in foam and installed on a shelf with my router and DMX distributer - all in in a rack for safety.
Another reason why I am trying to use a non wireless option for less those occasions where wireless is not necessary.

Hey Debbie,

Someone else sent me a PM asking if the ODE was still available. I just wanted to confirm that you weren't interested before selling it to him.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 06:19:08 PM »

Hey Debbie,

Someone else sent me a PM asking if the ODE was still available. I just wanted to confirm that you weren't interested before selling it to him.

I don't blame him!!  I wish I needed it - go ahead Scott ...and thanks for asking!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 02:07:26 AM »

That is what I was wondering Scott - thanks....However, the fact my iPad referred to the adaptor as 'unrecognized' is a separate issue - no? Is it simply because it is a cheapy cable and I need a better quality one?

No the iPad doesn't see it because it's not on and running.  Not enough power.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-2-5A-power-adapter/dp/B00DQFGH80/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1455260801&sr=8-4&keywords=powered+usb+hub

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 05:42:11 AM »

Debbie,

there are two problems:
- how to connect the device to the ipad
- how to make Luminair communicate with the device.

While I have an iPad, I'm not expert since I've bougth it just recently. Nevertheless:
- Luminair page says it supports WIFI and also ethernet using special adapter L2-NET. It doesn't mention USB devices.
- the L2-NET page talks about special SDK for ethernet and that normal application do not see wired ethernet connections (which seems a bit strange to me, but I know nothing about iPad specialities).
- this page shows how to connect usb to ethernet adapter. Basically the same principle as others told you (camera adapter, powered usb hub, device). If that works, you might be able to connect luminaire over wired network to your current artnet device.

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 09:28:14 AM »

you should just use wireless for your ipad at home.
you could buy a spare wireless router just for your ipad dmx system.  I bet you could get one at the same price as the apple branded adapter or cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156380&cm_re=trendnet_router-_-33-156-380-_-Product

I would log into the router. and adjust the  DHCP settings so it matches your road rig router.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 06:16:53 PM »

Sorry guys  - didn't see these last few posts. Thank you for your comments.

Scott - OK thanks, makes sense.

Nate - I do have a spare router that I could use at home - so that isn't really the issue. It's the art net node that is the problem because it is safely installed along with all my other wifi gadgets in a rack case. I was trying to avoid digging it out each time.

Jano - Hubby had a small powered USB hub ( just like the one Scott linked to) at work and brought it home but I am a bit nervous whether to try it out - don't want to damage either my pad or the ODE.
Looking at everything I have, using the USB hub, why would I even need the lighting  adaptor?... I have the cord that I use to charge the iPad - one end is USB which would attach to the hub and the other end is lightning which would attach to the iPad. Then I have the standard USB cord I use for recording from the hub to the Enttec ODE.
How safe would it be to try it this way? If it is risky, I won't bother...

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 01:36:01 AM »

Jano - Hubby had a small powered USB hub ( just like the one Scott linked to) at work and brought it home but I am a bit nervous whether to try it out - don't want to damage either my pad or the ODE.
Looking at everything I have, using the USB hub, why would I even need the lighting  adaptor?... I have the cord that I use to charge the iPad - one end is USB which would attach to the hub and the other end is lightning which would attach to the iPad. Then I have the standard USB cord I use for recording from the hub to the Enttec ODE.

You don't have to worry about plugging it in to the hub.  You are overthinking this.  You plug it in to charge it.  The 5V on USB is current limited anyway.

I do think the data sync cable to a hub should work fine.   

I use a tascam stereo interface with an iPad 2 and an external power adapter.  Works well.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Samuel Sjöbergsson

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 03:11:35 AM »

Nate - I do have a spare router that I could use at home - so that isn't really the issue. It's the art net node that is the problem because it is safely installed along with all my other wifi gadgets in a rack case. I was trying to avoid digging it out each time.

It isn't risky but you won't be able to use the ode from the iPad that way because the ode need to be connected to a USB host port which you get with the lighting adapter.

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 01:54:11 PM »

Lighting adapter allows you to plug ipad to the uplink of the USB hub. USB connections are directional - one end is the host ("master", for example computer) and the other is "device" ("slave", USB key). It would not work if you plug ipad to one of the "downlink" ports of the USB hub. It needs to go to the other side.

ODE: it looks like you are confusing the names (or at least I am confused :) ) "ODE" means "Open DMX Ethernet", i.e. the artnet device. What you most probably refer to is Enttec USB DMX Pro [Mk2?] or Enttec Open DMX USB.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »

Lighting adapter allows you to plug ipad to the uplink of the USB hub. USB connections are directional - one end is the host ("master", for example computer) and the other is "device" ("slave", USB key). It would not work if you plug ipad to one of the "downlink" ports of the USB hub. It needs to go to the other side.

ODE: it looks like you are confusing the names (or at least I am confused :) ) "ODE" means "Open DMX Ethernet", i.e. the artnet device. What you most probably refer to is Enttec USB DMX Pro [Mk2?] or Enttec Open DMX USB.

The lightning adaptor I have is to female USB. I purchased this one so I could use my printer style cable to go from there to the Enttec (to give me more length).
I thought I was using the correct 'ins' and  'outs' of the hub but I can check again. ....today when I connected everything - it didnt work ....  :(

And yes - I was incorrectly using the term ODE for the USB Enttec - sorry.
I am so pleased you are all able to translate for me ... oops.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 08:16:27 PM »

The lightning adaptor I have is to female USB. I purchased this one so I could use my printer style cable to go from there to the Enttec (to give me more length).
I thought I was using the correct 'ins' and  'outs' of the hub but I can check again. ....today when I connected everything - it didnt work ....  :(

And yes - I was incorrectly using the term ODE for the USB Enttec - sorry.
I am so pleased you are all able to translate for me ... oops.

That was the part I was missing.  A USB A/B cable is a serial cross over so transmit and receive data pins line up. 

So to sum up all the knowledge you have been given.

1 - You need to use the lightning adapter, connect it to a USB A/B cable
2 - Connect the B side of the cable to the uplink port of the hub (some hubs use the older square connector for the uplink others a mini USB)
3 - The hub will supply sufficient current to power the device (the Apple port is current limited, my original assertion)
4 - Plug your DMX thingamajig into the hub
5 - Have fun

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 09:33:03 PM »

That was the part I was missing.  A USB A/B cable is a serial cross over so transmit and receive data pins line up. 

So to sum up all the knowledge you have been given.

1 - You need to use the lightning adapter, connect it to a USB A/B cable
2 - Connect the B side of the cable to the uplink port of the hub (some hubs use the older square connector for the uplink others a mini USB)
3 - The hub will supply sufficient current to power the device (the Apple port is current limited, my original assertion)
4 - Plug your DMX thingamajig into the hub
5 - Have fun

Thanks for all the info Scott and for laying out what I need to do....

However, its a no-go, so I'll not waste anymore of everyone's time on this.
The lighting software (Luminair) attempts to connect but detects no wi-fi so it stops working. I had everything hooked up but had no control over the lights at all.

It was very little investment - so worth a go... no biggie...  :'(

Wi-fi rocks !!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 09:33:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 24 queries.