ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft SI Impact or Expression 2  (Read 31118 times)

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
Re: Soundcraft SI Impact or Expression 2
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 06:43:54 AM »

I'm still hoping for a smaller version of the impact to come out, about the physical size of the expression 1. I don't need 24/32 inputs, but the expression feels a bit old now.
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 08:15:16 AM »

I'm still hoping for a smaller version of the impact to come out, about the physical size of the expression 1. I don't need 24/32 inputs, but the expression feels a bit old now.

I'm with you on that. I'm ready to dump my Presonus 16.0.2 for a small Impact, if they ever come out with one.

Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 10:12:38 PM »

I'm with you on that. I'm ready to dump my Presonus 16.0.2 for a small Impact, if they ever come out with one.

Save your pennies and by a Performer 1. The cost will be about $3200. 80 channels in a rack.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 09:21:30 AM »

Save your pennies and by a Performer 1. The cost will be about $3200. 80 channels in a rack.

Bob, here's my current lineup:

Presonus SL16.0.2
Presonus SL24.4.2
Expression 2
Performer 3

I'd like to have a Soundcraft SI in $1200-$1500 range, which unfortunately they don't make one yet. Hoping that a small version of the Impact may happen one day. I was going back and forth between an Expr1 & Perf1, I can get an Expr1 for under 2k, but have decided to wait for now.

I sold my LS9-32 & SL1642 a year or so ago.
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 10:46:08 AM »

I have no experience with the Performer, but I can't help but notice that for equal amount of channels on board, you will pay over twice as much for a Performer over the Impact!  I understand that if you need 80 channels then you have no choice but how many of us ever use more than forty channels? If you do, you are probably looking at a much more expensive board anyway.  Do the features justify such a huge difference in cost between the Impact and Performer?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 06:34:06 PM by Chuck Simon »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »

I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with 80 inputs on 16 faders.  Maybe for a fixed band or show where you can do layers of sub grouping and scenes and things don't change much.

But I do agree that a 24-32 channel 19" version of the Impact with their workflow, master channel strip with all the eqs, fader glow, and scribble strips in the $1200-1500 range would be a runaway with bands doing their own sound.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 03:51:15 PM »

The main thing I don't like about the Impact is the last 8 channels 25-32 are 1/4/xlr combos. You have to give up a couple of mic channels to plug in an I-pod or similar device.

Of course it's not a big of a deal, unless you need those mic channels

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 04:15:42 PM »

The main thing I don't like about the Impact is the last 8 channels 25-32 are 1/4/xlr combos. You have to give up a couple of mic channels to plug in an I-pod or similar device.

Well if you need 32 mics plus some line inputs, then a 32 input board is too small.

In my opinion, if I am doing shows that require more than 32 inputs, then I expect they are paying enough to have an appropriate sized mixer.

That said, I have one with 32 xlrs and nothing else and a couple with up to 40 inputs but at my level, I don't come close to using them all. I sure do exceed 16 often enough though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 05:21:46 PM »

That's better than my Expression 2 which has only 24 XLRs plus 2 pairs of 1/4s.  I look at it as a 24 channel board with a couple of spare inputs for iPods.  If I want more channels, I have to buy a stage box that costs as much as the mixer.  At least I do have that option, which is part of what swayed me from the Qu.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 06:52:21 PM »

[/color]

But the Perf 1 only has 16 onboard xlr inputs.
You would be required to buy a stagebox to utilize the extra power.
That said, I love both my Perf 1 and 2, and pick the one that makes sense for the gig.
Although, the Impact comes with a Madi / USB card.
The USB gives you 32 more inputs without a stagebox.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 06:52:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.