ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft SI Impact or Expression 2  (Read 30943 times)

Michael Abernethy

Soundcraft SI Impact or Expression 2
« on: February 09, 2016, 03:55:51 AM »

Sorry to repost this but I can't reply to the other post for some reason

I'm looking to upgrade my board to a digital soundcraft SI soon, I can get the Impact or the Expression 2 for roughly the same price however Im struggling to decide between them. I don't see my self needing anymore than 32 channels so the difference in 40 vs 66 channels doesn't really matter, the VCA's and scribble strip could be nice. I typically do sound for 2-3 bands up to 1000 people per night. Has anyone here used both or have any preference between the two?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Soundcraft SI Impact or Expression 2
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 05:17:41 AM »

Have you tried a forum search? There have been many threads over the past year comparing these two boards.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:34:02 AM »

I have recently replaced my Expression3 with an Impact. No regrets.  It has the features that I had wished were on the Expression.

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:55:05 PM »

Michael,

I have the Expression 2 and the Performer 3, I got both mixers before the Impact came out. If had the choice then, I'd have the Impact and the Performer 3. I like the Expression, but besides the features that you've mentioned, the Impact also has two option slots like the Performer and it comes with the optional combo Madi/USB card. I had to buy that card.

My true preference would be to have; Expression1, Impact and Performer3. I really like the SI series. I transistioned via Presonus mixers & a Yamaha LS9-32.

Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 01:18:12 PM »

It sounds like the Impact would fit your needs best.
It has the footprint of the Expression 2, but 32 on board inputs.
It seems to me that it's only real limitations are the lesser internal channel count and the lack of dedicated input trim pots.
I think the addition of scribble strips, VCAs and 4 full PEQs more than makes up for that.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 04:08:09 PM »

The Impact is a very nice board with options that should have been put on the Expression from the beginning. I own an Expression, looked at the Impact, and bought a Performer, which IMO is the last step you take before entering the Vi series.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 04:11:27 PM »

I bought an Expression 2 right before the Impact came out and then hit the price drop.  Gotta live with the decision.  But I would have definitely gone for the Impact.  The extra potential channels and individual channel encoders don't make up for the loss of scribble strips.  Love the board otherwise though.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 08:52:57 PM »

The Soundcraft lovers just couldn't bring themselves to criticise properly the lack of scribble strips on both the Compact and the Expression.  And the Performer, while having them, was always too much of a price hike for many to justify.

Of course, as soon as the Impact came out, it was the no-brainer for everyone wanting a low cost Soundcraft desk.  Hard for those who had swallowed their pride and bought a Compact/Expression.  Just a shame they were *sooo* late joining the "reasonably priced desk with scribble strips" party

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 09:35:56 PM »

Even without the scribble strips, the Expression is still best in class in my book.  Adding them for the same price while losing less important features is a bonus.  Since I only have a 24ch snake I really haven't had occasion to jump layers.  Most of what I've done has been bar gigs where I had plenty of faders.  The municipal festivals don't really allow for sophisticated sub grouping as it's just about impossible to get stage plots or input lists from the folks who play the ones I do.  You just stick a 57 on it and go until the next group comes up.
The main thing with the SC was the workflow.  I do as much mixing from stage while playing as I do providing for others.  I want to be able to look over and stab whatever needs it without messing around.  The SC control surface was the easiest to find things on in the genre.  After fighting with a Touchmix someone in a band I played with brought in I want as few steps or layers to things as I could find.  Most of the SC is a two move at worst.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 09:37:27 PM »

Alec,
Much of that may be true, however, scribble strips were not the specific or only reason I moved from and Expression to a Performer. Fact of the matter is the price is more than justified as the board is an entirely different animal than either the Expression or Impact. I own both an Expression and a Performer, and as much as I like scribble strips I stand by my former statements. I could live without them if I didn't have them. Of course that may be a leftover from 50 years of working without scribble strips.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 09:37:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.