ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electro Voice Subwoofer Arrays - white paper  (Read 3958 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Electro Voice Subwoofer Arrays - white paper
« on: February 11, 2016, 06:03:04 PM »

I have long been a reader trying to absorb knowledge instead of asking silly questions that can be answered via searching.

I just finished reading through the Electro-Voice Subwoofer Arrays White Paper and I found it very practical hence the "A practical guide"  subtitle. I have long looked for a good practical guide for introducing me to the subwoofer array world, simply so that I can learn and I found it quite helpful.

Linky:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjykfGG5_DKAhUBS2MKHW16AKQQFgg7MAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electrovoice.com%2Fdownloadfile.php%3Fi%3D8913&usg=AFQjCNHpdnxKZKUqdYhKlqbVbHcGMd42Sw&sig2=HD8rlamAIso-6fLz3i2bdg&bvm=bv.113943164,d.cGc

Upon reaching Appendix A starting on page 27 I found a guide for setting up crossovers. I am trying to learn all that I can about live sound system processor setup and I've been reading anything and everything that I can. Bear with me while I try to articulate my question as it feels complex and I might not quite have the correct terminology to state it efficiently.

Their process seems to automatically setup the sound system for a user without the need of complex tools: eg. SMAART.
I feel like they are disguising, using a simple method, actually making sure the acoustic phase response of the system is consistent/smooth over the crossover region.

Am I correct?
How did they arrive at this method?
Is this method outdated?
Is there a better method?

Truly I want to learn not just be spoon fed, so point me toward white papers or articles or whatever. (perhaps, though, after my questions have been answered  :D)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Electro Voice Subwoofer Arrays - white paper
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 11:30:44 PM »

The information looks practical enough and is a very useful GUIDE to the right path. Keep in mind the results shown are going to be with the equipment and the processing used in the graphs. So while the results would be TYPICAL, they will not be exact. In general the orientation and processing of the speakers will result in a measurably reliable result. So take it as just that, a guide to the likely result with that configuration and processing. Many speakers now have a prediction software that can be used to array them and find an appropriate coverage. As with anything in sound, it is a matter of interpretation and implementation to get the desired results. The projected outcomes are not perfect, but can get you most of the way there.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 06:44:39 AM »

If you're interested in deepening your understanding consider reading this 72 page document.

Regards,

Merlijn

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »

The information looks practical enough and is a very useful GUIDE to the right path. Keep in mind the results shown are going to be with the equipment and the processing used in the graphs. So while the results would be TYPICAL, they will not be exact. In general the orientation and processing of the speakers will result in a measurably reliable result. So take it as just that, a guide to the likely result with that configuration and processing. Many speakers now have a prediction software that can be used to array them and find an appropriate coverage. As with anything in sound, it is a matter of interpretation and implementation to get the desired results. The projected outcomes are not perfect, but can get you most of the way there.

Thanks, I feel that I have a firm grasp on the fundamental concepts of sub arrays. I've been keeping up with the other sub array threads to pursue a better understanding. I'm pretty solid on understanding that most of what I read and when I see models is unlikely to translate into real life perfectly. I look at models and read what others have done to see a Trend for a specific concept instead of attempting to duplicate (conceptually) a different environment with different gear falsely assuming to arrive at the same exact point.

What I feel I lack in understanding arrays is how to properly setup the acoustic crossover interaction between the arrays and the mains. Following the premise that a full range point source sounds best and knowing that is physically impossible. Imagine this scenario. (perhaps the attached image will help too)

A sub and a main flown to simulate a point source thus easiest to setup crossover (phase align should be easy right?) [time align easy as both LF+HF emanate from same source].
VS
A main flown and subs ground stacked into an array or just combined or whatever. (phase aligning is difficult) and [time align is hard because only good for small group of people].

Is this system tuning where programs like SMAART come in?
When does being on point with crossover tuning really start/stop to matter?

If you're interested in deepening your understanding consider reading this 72 page document.

Regards,

Merlijn

Thanks for that! I've already read a couple of articles and I found it quite enlightening.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.