ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX835p for FOH Mains review  (Read 38643 times)

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: JBL SRX835p for FOH Mains review
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2016, 07:17:24 PM »

You had some peaks and dips that seemed to change as you moved across the axis of the array. Were you able to correct that?

I also have to ask, did the engineering firm correct the rigging issues?

Trevor Crowe

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2016, 10:09:54 PM »

That plot is a gated response from 1m with a single unit, with no dsp or room effects. The dips and peaks did still present themselves in the RTA throughout the room however. The 22band EQ on the dbx driverack took care of most of it. This was the end result:

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2016, 11:13:39 PM »

That plot is a gated response from 1m with a single unit, with no dsp or room effects. The dips and peaks did still present themselves in the RTA throughout the room however. The 22band EQ on the dbx driverack took care of most of it. This was the end result:

You REALLY REALLY need to use a smaller scale.

Your vertical scale is over 250dB.  ANYTHING would look flat on that scale.

Maybe shrink it down to 30dB total vertical or something.

As it is-it is pretty worthless.  Sorry.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2016, 11:34:07 PM »

You REALLY REALLY need to use a smaller scale.

Your vertical scale is over 250dB.  ANYTHING would look flat on that scale.

Maybe shrink it down to 30dB total vertical or something.

As it is-it is pretty worthless.  Sorry.

I noticed it was ruler flat and my first thought was smoothing but it looks like it's set to 1/12 octave. I didn't even think to check the scale.

Plus even with smoothing it should have SOME dips/peaks.

I also feel like it would have too much HF for my taste, being that flat to 20k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevor Crowe

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »

Realized the scale after I posted. Still though, after +-3 db ajustments, it was sounding alot better. You're right scott, I initially tried to get it flat out to 20k, but knew it wasn't going to sound good. The result was way too much HF.
There is a tab in REW for "House Curve" that would be interesting to learn more about.

But I think the purpose of the REW is to find WHERE the problem areas are, not how much compensation is needed, as that really has to be done by ear, while using the plots as a reference from my experience.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 11:12:11 AM »

I noticed it was ruler flat and my first thought was smoothing but it looks like it's set to 1/12 octave. I didn't even think to check the scale.

Plus even with smoothing it should have SOME dips/peaks.

I also feel like it would have too much HF for my taste, being that flat to 20k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is also no reason to go down to 2Hz and out to 30KHz.

That just makes the curve look a lot smoother than it really is.  But only if you pay attention to such things---
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Trevor Crowe

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »

I forgot the set the range before exporting, I didnt work that way. I went to repost a better range, But didn't save the final plot.
Ivan, scott, please share some of your results with before/after EQ'ing.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2016, 12:35:57 PM »

I forgot the set the range before exporting, I didnt work that way. I went to repost a better range, But didn't save the final plot.
Ivan, scott, please share some of your results with before/after EQ'ing.
I don't totally understand your question, but my opinion is that the loudspeaker system should be as flat as possible-within its capabilites.

Then any tonal adjustments need to be made on the console on a channel by channel basis.

NOT tuning the system so that it sounds "right" with a specific input.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Trevor Crowe

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2016, 02:39:35 PM »

I'm not talking about theory, I'm asking what your experiences with RTA calibrations versus how they sound after. So 100% flat using RTA calibration is always the best? Or do you not listen to the final result?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 03:05:59 PM »

I'm not talking about theory, I'm asking what your experiences with RTA calibrations versus how they sound after. So 100% flat using RTA calibration is always the best? Or do you not listen to the final result?

Trevor...

I think you're missing the point that RTA is not the proper tool for system tuning, the chief drawback being it is "time blind".  You're asking people who use things like SMAART, EASE and SysTune to model and adjust systems to different rooms/environments how to use a simple, less effective tool to accomplish what it simply cannot.

Attempting to use RTA  in place of SMAART is somewhat akin to using an abacus in place of a computer.

BTW, what grade of chain is in that hang anyhow?  If you bought it at your local hardware store you should take the speakers down NOW.  Here's a link to your typical hardware store chain.  Note that although it is billed as "high test" and rated for a maximum load of almost two tons it is "Not intended for overhead lifting!"  The exclamation point is theirs.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/material-handling/chains-accessories/5-16-high-test-chain/p-1444437045479-c-12174.htm?tid=-9075872613418166711
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 03:19:57 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2016, 03:05:59 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.674 seconds with 20 queries.