ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX835p for FOH Mains review  (Read 38397 times)

Trevor Crowe

JBL SRX835p for FOH Mains review
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:31:43 PM »

Hi All,
I just wanted to share my experience with our new JBL SRX835p pair.

For reference, our church is a 500 seat auditorium with corner stage in a big square layout.

Our previous speakers were 4 QSC K12's spread across the bulkhead. The reason we switched was the QSC's struggled in the midrange clarity when pushed. They were great for low level, but that was it. We rarely go over 90db.

My theory was that a 3 way would provide better midrange clarity by having a dedicated driver for mostly vocals, while it frees the woofer to only have to go up to 500hz and the compression driver only has to do 2khz and up. Also, the drivers are working in their optimal bandwidth, so dispersion is very even at 60 deg.

By clustering 2 to cover 120 deg, the sound is very even across the room, and cuts off sharply near the walls.

The result so far is superior vocal clarity. Which is important for the sermon and worship music. A surprise bonus is amazing mid bass that the QSC's couldn't do. The JBL's have a nice hump around 60-120hz, where the dual 18" sub on the floor and take over the 40-80hz range. So the bass actually sounds like its coming from the mains which is nice.

I'm a little dissappointed by the highs, even after alot of EQ'ing. They don't seem to extend to the extreme top end. I was hoping for a little more 'delicacy' and detail in the highs, but maybe they just need some break in hours?

So the speakers can effortlessly project 100+db volumes for such a large auditorium. I'm very impressed. With the trade in on the 4 QSC's, the $2000 difference made a huge improvement.

I will post an update after our service tomorrow. (Mostly rock type worship)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: JBL SRX835p for FOH Mains review
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:40:11 PM »

I am sure some more knowledgeable riggers will comment,  some safety issues with your flying if my eyeballs serve me right.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:04:10 AM »

It looks like you have both speakers pointing straight ahead and not splayed. That will affect the HF as you've described.

Is that dog chain rated for overhead lifting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT: After looking at this again on my computer, it looks like the speakers are splayed a little bit. I haven't used the 835 but I did get some hands-on time with the 815, and I thought the HF was a little bright for my taste. This was pre-recorded playback, so if you're using live instruments your mileage may vary. Are you not getting enough HF, or do you just not like the way it sounds? Have you noticed this 'issue' in several spots throughout the venue or were you listening in just one spot?

I also missed this on my phone...the load is suspended at a 90º angle on the eyebolts. This reduces their Working Load Limit considerably. Some manufacturers go so far as to forbid loading at 90º, while others reduce the rating by as much as 80%. I'm not saying they can't safely be suspended this way, but I hope you got the rig certified by a structural engineer. This is a life safety issue and is not to be taken lightly. That's a 300lb speaker array and it will kill someone if it falls on them.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:05:21 AM by Scott Carneval »

Irvin Pribadi

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »

From the way it is splayed, I can imagine the front rows would miss out on some HF.

How was the splay angle determined?

David Allred

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 12:51:03 PM »

A question to smart folks.
With the 2 cabs strapped together with angle iron (top & bottom), is the center rigging supporting a 1/3 share (100 lbs) or a 1/2 of each cab share (150 lbs)?  I say the latter, unless the angle iron went all the way across and serves as the suspender.  Am I correct?
Best safe practice is to have each rigging point capable (rated) of 300 lbs min.

Trevor Crowe

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 05:11:51 PM »

The speakers are 85lbs each. It was reviewed and approved by two different engineers.

The speakers are splayed just enough to avoid a dead spot. The specs show about 30deg per side, so they are about that, maybe less. I played with them on the stage and got the angle right before hoisting using RTA. The despersion is very even both vert and horz. But there is a dead spot to the far right for about 10 seats total. We were considering adding a 3rd to the cluster but that would provide too much hitting the side walls.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about the highs. It's not an EQ thing, but quality. I was expecting more refinement. I'm an audiophile and have Altec Vott with tube power at home, so that is my reference. Is it just that the newer higher power handling stuff compromises on quality? (Stiffer sourrounds, heavier cones, plastic horns, etc)
I bypassed the DBX 260 to see if it was the culprit, and even hooked my laptop directly to the speakers, and the highs are the same- somewhat shrill and harsh sounding in the 2kz-20khz. This is both live, and recorded mastered live stuff.

Irvin Pribadi

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 11:25:56 PM »

Well in that case it may just be the speakers. idk I don't have experience with JBL 800 series.
If you like try powering and listening to just one speaker at a time to see the issue is repeated by each speaker independently at low to moderate volumes.
You can also run a measurement just to see if there is no narrow spike or dip in the frequency response that can be fixed.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 11:42:55 PM »

Well in that case it may just be the speakers. idk I don't have experience with JBL 800 series.
If you like try powering and listening to just one speaker at a time to see the issue is repeated by each speaker independently at low to moderate volumes.
You can also run a measurement just to see if there is no narrow spike or dip in the frequency response that can be fixed.

Since the speakers are not splayed very much you have a lot of destructive interference in the overlap zone.  That could be zapping your HF response.

Just what measurement did you obtain with the RTA and how did you apply that to your positioning of the speakers or adjustment of the system?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Trevor Crowe

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 08:12:13 AM »

Here is the gated response I did at 1m using REW and MiniDSP Umic with cal file. As you can see the 3 way has a pretty narrow beam width compared to the more traditional 2 ways. (60 deg vs 90) So I believe the splay is correct. Any more, and there was an audible hole in the centre isle.
I've tried to bring up the dip at 2.5k and drop the peak at 12k. But that 12k peak could be the culprit. This week I intend to RTA and EQ around the room with my mic and laptop, and get it flatter. This is using the DBX 260, but I wondering if I would get better results with the new JBL iPad app for EQ, Just need to run a network cable up to the speakers.
Keep you posted.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 09:07:08 AM »

The speakers are 85lbs each. It was reviewed and approved by two different engineers.

You've also got the weight of the hardware, which probably isn't much, but then the weight of the chain, which will be a considerable amount. If it's lightweight chain it's probably not rated. If it's rated chain it's probably not lightweight. Not trying to bust your balls here, but this isn't something to be taken lightly (pun not intended). If an engineer certified the rig, fine, but it needs to be mentioned for the sake of others reading this post.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 09:07:08 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.