ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LED PAR cans vs replacing conventional PAR cans with LED bulbs?  (Read 8056 times)

Steve Garris

Re: LED PAR cans vs replacing conventional PAR cans with LED bulbs?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 01:37:22 PM »

One more photo showing the MCM lights, pink blue, pink blue:

Daniel Oliver

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 05:39:12 PM »

And for a little more, these lights have (7) RGB 10W led's - the type that change color via the chip. These are bright, and throw a nice beam. The colors are really great on these - I'm building a light show using these right now:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MO8C766/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZA0LKMGHFMHQ&coliid=I2G56HYIQDP7DT&psc=1

Just ordered a set of these, thanks to your sales pitch.  I almost ordered them for you, until I realized that link above is for your Amazon Wish List, and would have been delivered to you.  Tricky!  Didn't catch that until the very last step of my check-out process.  You almost got me! 

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 12:32:33 PM »

Just ordered a set of these, thanks to your sales pitch.  I almost ordered them for you, until I realized that link above is for your Amazon Wish List, and would have been delivered to you.  Tricky!  Didn't catch that until the very last step of my check-out process.  You almost got me!

Oh shit - did not realize it worked that way!  Thanks for letting me know. Maybe one day I'll receive a bunch of surprise free lights!

Daniel Oliver

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 05:18:08 AM »

What are the disadvantages of using gels, as opposed to an LED PAR can that changes its color within itself? 

Oh, and what color temperature should I look for when replacing conventional PAR38 cans with LED bulbs?  Should I stick with a warm white around 3000K, to replicate the incandescent hue?  Or should I go with a cool white around 6000K for maximum brightness, since the gels will be adding color?  Thanks for any and all help.

Well, here's what I learned on my own that no one addressed.  Gels burn through and get bleached out and need replacing regularly.  3000k is a better color temperature because 6000k makes red gels look pink and it's not the norm for stage lighting.  Stage lighting is exempt from the ban on inefficient incandescents, so most stage lights are in the 3000k realm.  I wish I didn't go with 5000k now. 

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 08:52:58 AM »

Well, here's what I learned on my own that no one addressed.  Gels burn through and get bleached out and need replacing regularly.  3000k is a better color temperature because 6000k makes red gels look pink and it's not the norm for stage lighting.  Stage lighting is exempt from the ban on inefficient incandescents, so most stage lights are in the 3000k realm.  I wish I didn't go with 5000k now.
Yep - more is not necessarily better with color temperature. 

RE "inefficient incandescents" - the HPL series lamps in Source4 fixtures run at about 29 lumens per watt.  A lot of LEDs struggle for that efficiency, especially when you drive them hard as required to get enough output for stage purposes.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 08:52:58 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.