ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner (sorta), very small Church system ideas  (Read 3845 times)

Keith Bradley

Beginner (sorta), very small Church system ideas
« on: February 17, 2016, 03:27:17 AM »

Hi :)
I need a little advise on a sound system here. My experience is 'intermediate' - meaning I have ran a smaller sound system before. This includes an AllenHeath ZED 22fx board, 9 or 10 mics, recording video and audio and burning to DVD. I ran the system itself fine, but I didnt have a hand in purchasing the equipment or hooking it up. (I only ended up having to redo some things to fit our needs as they changed. I was almost totally self-taught, and trial and error experience..) This is the part I am going to be asking about, purchasing and putting it inline.
First some basics:
Total budget : $400-425 (lesser the better)
Size of Room : 25ft x 30ft (low ceiling, not built as a church)

If you are wondering why we would need any sort of system at all for a room this size, yeah you are right, we dont really. But we happen to have a few members who are harder of hearing, combined with a few voices that come in kind of low. Plus, we are wanting to start to record audio, and soon video.

Our needs are rather simple and meek. We have a pulpit ( or podium), and a piano. Now, luckily, a room this size can benefit from not needing as many different mics. I am thinking if I mount a choir or multi-directional sensitive mic to the ceiling, it will be adequate enough to pick up not only the speaker, but any verbal audience interactions. I would rather do this than dedicate a mic to the podium. Because 1, the cost. And 2nd, our full time pastor would just asoon not have have his already loud voice resonate in that small room. We do already have a stand mic positioned up front. Which is now only hooked up to an old karaoke machine (dont laugh, it was donated lol)

We also have live music played from time to time. I would like to pick those up as best as possible.  Just mics set up in front of them would suffice.

Now, as I said, we would also like to do some recording of first, audio. Our best option right now is to pipe a mixer into a laptop. Then I can convert and burn them as needed.
Space is somewhat of an issue here. Size of the house speakers need to be conservative, yet enough power to be worth the money and investment. I also wont have too much more than a small tabletop to sit a mixer and small laptop on for space to work. Walking space is also an issue, I have to minimize the possibility of tripping over cords.

So with all this in mind, here is what I have come up with.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M8AMJQ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1E3M70IOS8EP3&coliid=IHBOB0D4SDRLJ -- Speaker System, comes with a small mixer.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A361Y3S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1E3M70IOS8EP3&coliid=I1H6Y0JV20FB9K&psc=1 Overhead mic for area sound.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1E3M70IOS8EP3&coliid=I1V3OYJBH0YHA Needed to send signal from mixer to laptop.

We have at least 2 other descent mics already that are usable. I will need a couple of cords and maybe adapter plugs too I think.

Am I on the right track with this stuff? Any help is appreciated!

Taylor Phillips

Re: Beginner (sorta), very small Church system ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 10:12:02 PM »

You really shouldn't need much reinforcement in that small of a space.  I believe that's pretty close to the size of an average school classroom.  My church's space is approx. 25'x45' and our pastor only uses a mic when it's hot and we run extra fans.  For recording sermons in your situation, I think you would do well with one of these or similar.

The Harbinger system you link to looks nearly identical to a Kustom product, that appears nearly identical to a product branded "Hollinger" that my church used for a little while.  Obviously a very limited system, but much better than your karaoke machine.  We used it for a couple of months before donating it to a local ministry we're deeply involved with and my experience with it was that it was good enough, but not great.  The biggest problem was that some of the sound became harsh if we got above 90dBA, especially our tenor worship leader's voice.  We had gotten it along with a bunch of other free stuff from a church that had closed and after doing sone some research on another pair of speakers we had, I set them up and it was a night and day difference. My recommendation to you would be to get one high quality powered speaker instead of this setup and save money toward getting a mixer and additional speakers down the road.  $400 seems to be the bottom end of the better powered speakers, though.  My friend has an EV ZLX speaker that he likes pretty well, it's listed for $399 from B&H, should be a similar price at other retailers.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Beginner (sorta), very small Church system ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 10:12:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.