ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: KiPro video recorder getting signal from Digico - merged  (Read 4800 times)

Al Rettich

KiPro video recorder getting signal from Digico - merged
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:54:36 PM »

So the question has come up from our video guys if we couldn't copy the MADI signal into the KiPro. Has anyone done this? Success, or failure?

Al Rettich

KiPro video recorder getting signal from Digico.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:56:21 PM »

So the question has come up from our video guys if we couldn't copy the MADI signal into the KiPro. Has anyone done this? Success, or failure? I know it would be a multi track recording, but would the KiPro understand Digico communication?

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
Re: KiPro video recorder getting signal from Digico.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:21:41 PM »

So the question has come up from our video guys if we couldn't copy the MADI signal into the KiPro. Has anyone done this? Success, or failure? I know it would be a multi track recording, but would the KiPro understand Digico communication?

KiPro's don't support MADI.

There are a variety of third party (and expensive) devices that could convert MADI to AES3id or embeded it in the SDI but that only get's you 8 or 16 channels per KiPro.

Check out the Video Devices PIX 270i, a video recorder like the KiPro's but that does have MADI in.

Philip

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:44:22 PM »

To get more than 2 channels into a KiPro you need to embed the audio with an external device. If your external device can embed 16 channels you can record that to the KiPro, but many embedders can only do 8ch at a time.

As Philip suggested, they should look at the Video Devices Pix270 which can record up to 64 channels via either MADI or Dante. The downside to recording multitrack on a Pix though is the file you get is a ProRes video file, so you will have to deal with extracting the audio to get it into a DAW, or edit and mix in a video editor like Final Cut.

Mac

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 08:20:13 AM »

Here is another vote for the pix270.

However if it has to be a kipro with the madi embedded on the SDI I would look at the AJA FS1-X which can map the madi (and other audio) onto the SDI. It's also a really flexible proc amp / frame sync to have in general.
John Saunders

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »

Like others said, no madi on the ki pro.  The easiest way to get the job done would be if you have a sd rack and put a sdi card in your rack and embed audio with that.

Pix 270 might be cheaper though...

Al Rettich

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 04:44:32 PM »

Gentlemen, I apologize I was wrong on the brand.  It's a Sound Devices Pix250i unit.  The back shows MADI in, in the software it shows where it'll record 64 inputs, I'm just trying to figure out if it's the same language where we can come out of the Digico to it without patching.     
KiPro's don't support MADI.

There are a variety of third party (and expensive) devices that could convert MADI to AES3id or embeded it in the SDI but that only get's you 8 or 16 channels per KiPro.

Check out the Video Devices PIX 270i, a video recorder like the KiPro's but that does have MADI in.

Philip

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 04:56:56 PM »

Gentlemen, I apologize I was wrong on the brand.  It's a Sound Devices Pix250i unit.  The back shows MADI in, in the software it shows where it'll record 64 inputs, I'm just trying to figure out if it's the same language where we can come out of the Digico to it without patching.     

Pix250i doesn't have madi (per the mfgr specs).

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »

If it shows MADI in it will be the same MADI as your console spits out, however my understanding is that the only Pix recorder that supports MADI and Dante and 64ch recording is the Pix270i. There should be SRC on the input so the Pix will correct the clock. The file will be a video file with embedded audio, so if they want to treat the audio separately it may have to be extracted before you can load it into ProTools or Reaper or the DAW of your choice.

Mac

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Digico ---> KiPro recorder.
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 11:06:45 AM »

All these years and I thought they were Key Pros.   Guess I should start bringing my glasses to video village. 

Is Madi the same format as HDMI or SDI audio?  Those are what the Kipro will accept as digital audio sources.  Every time I've suggested to a video tech that he or she take or send audio in anything other than the lowest common denominator XLR or miniplug connection I've met resistance.  At least now I can usually get them to use USB DIs, after I show them how to set that as the output device and explain that once they've loaded their media they can take the memory stick out and plug in the DI.

Jordan Wolf

Re: KiPro video recorder getting signal from Digico - merged
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »

...Every time I've suggested to a video tech that he or she take or send audio in anything other than the lowest common denominator XLR or miniplug connection I've met resistance.
Probably because most have never been asked/required to do something of that nature. It's a comfort thing.

- Jordan Wolf
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Digico ---> KiPro recorder.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »

All these years and I thought they were Key Pros.   Guess I should start bringing my glasses to video village. 

Is Madi the same format as HDMI or SDI audio?  Those are what the Kipro will accept as digital audio sources.  Every time I've suggested to a video tech that he or she take or send audio in anything other than the lowest common denominator XLR or miniplug connection I've met resistance.  At least now I can usually get them to use USB DIs, after I show them how to set that as the output device and explain that once they've loaded their media they can take the memory stick out and plug in the DI.

Not the same format.  You need an embedder/deembedder to translate.  HDMI can have 8 channels and sdi 16 channels.  Many embedders/deembedders will work with aes or analog. 

I wouldn't expect a video guy to take anything other than analog unless it's been prearranged.  Their rigs are setup for analog.  They don't have gear for madi, Dante, and usually aes.  Even if you sent them 16 channels on sdi they probably don't have the routing gear necessary to get the signals where and how they need them. 

Palmer Johnston

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 06:29:14 PM »

The downside to recording multitrack on a Pix though is the file you get is a ProRes video file, so you will have to deal with extracting the audio to get it into a DAW, or edit and mix in a video editor like Final Cut.

Mac

The Pix270i can record audio-only as .wav files.
Go to: Main Menu>System>Audio/Video Mode>Audio Only (Wave)

It's a great backup recorder for our Dante network

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 06:29:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.