ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Planning a small bar show - could really use some advice!  (Read 12266 times)

Wes Garland

Re: Planning a small bar show - could really use some advice!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 11:27:48 AM »

I did some more programming Monday to de-colour faces a bit, and ran another rehearsal last night, this time with my light rig set up at nearly correct distances.  Not bad, but definitely darker than I'd like. Rather than merely lighting the performers, I kind of want the stage bright enough to make the house seem a bit darker than it is.......if that makes sense?

But, the good news is, I'm getting comfortable enough with this rig and the DMX Operator to get somewhat creative during a show without impacting my playing too much.  I actually managed to spotlight myself during a piano solo last night.  Good thing I have a bass player to keep my left hand free :)   One thing I'm bumping into is that occasionally I briefly turn the lights off by accident.. Stupid UI on the DMX Operator that allows this  (selecting a scene twice blacks out your lights).  But all is not lost, my rear lights are not DMX, so there is still SOME light on the band...

Steve -- those eBay lights look like really good building blocks to get from where I am to where I'd like be.  Have you found any good Chinese pinspots yet?  I'm starting to understand that the front look I want needs to built with a combination of spot lights and wash lights.

Rob -- how long does it take to set up the lights for WOLF and what is your front wash?  Also, what do you stand your front wash on?

I've been shopping for a bigger van lately.  I'm wondering once I have one if it's practical to build some road cases so I can just drop Ts or truss members in, fully assembled...maybe build some crates with supports to hold them a foot above the bottom.

I also picked a Yorkville aluminium lighting stand that goes to 100" on Saturday.  I can't believe how much lighter it is than a steel speaker pole. I can use the same Yorkville Ts on it that I use on my speaker poles and/or my FOH speakers with a DIY pole mount (1" ID iron pipe flange bolted to 3/4" plywood, bolted to four fly points).

Rob Gow

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 06:38:43 PM »

Rob -- how long does it take to set up the lights for WOLF and what is your front wash?  Also, what do you stand your front wash on?

It takes a solid hour to get them up. That's rolling the cases in, setting up the truss, putting the clamps on the movers, getting everything on the truss. Then we put on the safety cables, the power & DMX cables. 2 guys.

In the smaller halls/bars etc. I'll mount one Hotbox per side to a fly point on the main speakers. In wider halls I'll mount 2 Fab 5's per side on a tripod.

Wes Garland

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 01:55:35 PM »

Quick status update -- my faith in the value of lighting has been validated.  I deployed my new rig on Saturday night at a small bar I've played a few times before.  The place features music every Saturday night, but usually with no lights at all...the odd band will bring a couple of PAR38s and place them on speakers.

The feedback from the staff and patrons was outstanding.  Nothing about the lights in particular, but they were having a great time. Many of our regulars believe we've never sounded better...in fact, we have.  This is one of those bars that usually gets about half full and people swap in/out all night long...we managed to fill the place at one point.

The one thing that didn't go right was the breaks.  Since we played there last, the venue stopped providing break music, insisting that if the patrons want music, they can plunk money in the jukebox.  Between the lack of music and the lights going off between sets, we lost patrons and breaks and the energy in the room took a noticeable nosedive.  Hitting the "blackout" button on my controller was almost like deflating a balloon.

Do you guys kill the lights between sets, or just light the stage with something stationary?

Rob - how do you mount lights on your speakers?  I made up some adapters for my flypoints that let me screw in 1" ID iron pipe.  It's not bad, but not perfect, the pipe should really be another 1/8" thick to fit my lighting Ts properly.  My Microh bar has a much smaller receiver, I used 1/2" ID pipe and a reducer bushing.

Rob Gow

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 04:52:21 PM »

Sounds like it worked out. Lights just make everything "seem more real"

I just screw the yoke directly to the top of my speaker. It's not real high, but it's good and solid.  Been thinking of a way to mount a T-Bar. Considered cutting a hole and mounting a speaker pole cup. Never got around to it.

In this video you can see the Hotbox mounted to the flypoint on top of the speaker. As you can see, a tripod would not work in this situation

http://youtu.be/NRRZC92CAxg

If the hall has no dance lighting I'll either put the wash lights on a slow fade, one color. Or I'll sometimes bring some DJ fixtures (Chauvet mini Kintas & ADJ Jellydomes) and run some DJ programs, all with the lights that light up the band turned off.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 04:54:44 PM by Rob Gow »

Nate Zifra

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 05:15:32 PM »

Quick status update -- my faith in the value of lighting has been validated.  I deployed my new rig on Saturday night at a small bar I've played a few times before.  The place features music every Saturday night, but usually with no lights at all...the odd band will bring a couple of PAR38s and place them on speakers.

The feedback from the staff and patrons was outstanding.  Nothing about the lights in particular, but they were having a great time. Many of our regulars believe we've never sounded better...in fact, we have.  This is one of those bars that usually gets about half full and people swap in/out all night long...we managed to fill the place at one point.

The one thing that didn't go right was the breaks.  Since we played there last, the venue stopped providing break music, insisting that if the patrons want music, they can plunk money in the jukebox.  Between the lack of music and the lights going off between sets, we lost patrons and breaks and the energy in the room took a noticeable nosedive.  Hitting the "blackout" button on my controller was almost like deflating a balloon.

Do you guys kill the lights between sets, or just light the stage with something stationary?

Rob - how do you mount lights on your speakers?  I made up some adapters for my flypoints that let me screw in 1" ID iron pipe.  It's not bad, but not perfect, the pipe should really be another 1/8" thick to fit my lighting Ts properly.  My Microh bar has a much smaller receiver, I used 1/2" ID pipe and a reducer bushing.

I have a break setting with just the downstage lights lit (all upstage truss lights off) on a solid color, no fade,  and dimmed to about 50%.  If break music is being played, in a bar type setting, then the opposite, downstage lights off and upstage lights to fade or sound active (dj) mode

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 09:46:34 AM »

In a more concert-like setting, we usually have a pre-show cue (look) that provides a low level (fairly dim) color wash on the stage. Sometime there are a pair of lights set nearly parallel to the upstage wall or curtain, and shooting diagonally across the wall/curtain. At intermission/break we restore to that look. It is enough to provide something to draw the eye to the stage, and the expectation of that being the focal point for the show.  YMMV.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Steve Garris

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 01:18:40 PM »

I too have a break scene. (4) of (8) backlights (upstage) on red, dimmed about 50%. As others have said, it creates the notion that there's going to be some excitement on stage. I also think red is a good "mood" light.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 03:59:55 PM »

I like to light the stage blue at maybe 50% before the set and during breaks.
It gives some interest and lets the bands changeover or fiddle with their gear.
I always bring some break music.
Silence - BAD.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 04:06:13 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

duane massey

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 12:07:33 AM »

No one has suggested the ADJ/Elation Showdesigner 1. It would be an excellent choice for your rig now and in the future. Way, WAY more powerful and useful than the Operator (or any similar controller) and street price is $750 or less. Easier to program than any other controller in the under $1K range, and has plenty of memory and capacity to do anything you want in your market.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 12:57:13 AM »

No one has suggested the ADJ/Elation Showdesigner 1. It would be an excellent choice for your rig now and in the future. Way, WAY more powerful and useful than the Operator (or any similar controller) and street price is $750 or less. Easier to program than any other controller in the under $1K range, and has plenty of memory and capacity to do anything you want in your market.

I have one of the older Elation Magic 260's which is an older version of the Showdesigner.  Both the I and II are nice boxes but the 1 is  limited to 16 fixtures where the 2 supports 48. My Magic supports 24 and that gets tight, I think 16 fixtures would jam me up.

I also use the Chauvet ShowExpress and I find I can do a better job running sound and lights with the control surface of the Elation.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 12:57:13 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.