ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which adaptor - running lights from iPad without wireless?  (Read 10042 times)

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
Re: Which adaptor - running lights from iPad without wireless?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 01:54:11 PM »

Lighting adapter allows you to plug ipad to the uplink of the USB hub. USB connections are directional - one end is the host ("master", for example computer) and the other is "device" ("slave", USB key). It would not work if you plug ipad to one of the "downlink" ports of the USB hub. It needs to go to the other side.

ODE: it looks like you are confusing the names (or at least I am confused :) ) "ODE" means "Open DMX Ethernet", i.e. the artnet device. What you most probably refer to is Enttec USB DMX Pro [Mk2?] or Enttec Open DMX USB.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »

Lighting adapter allows you to plug ipad to the uplink of the USB hub. USB connections are directional - one end is the host ("master", for example computer) and the other is "device" ("slave", USB key). It would not work if you plug ipad to one of the "downlink" ports of the USB hub. It needs to go to the other side.

ODE: it looks like you are confusing the names (or at least I am confused :) ) "ODE" means "Open DMX Ethernet", i.e. the artnet device. What you most probably refer to is Enttec USB DMX Pro [Mk2?] or Enttec Open DMX USB.

The lightning adaptor I have is to female USB. I purchased this one so I could use my printer style cable to go from there to the Enttec (to give me more length).
I thought I was using the correct 'ins' and  'outs' of the hub but I can check again. ....today when I connected everything - it didnt work ....  :(

And yes - I was incorrectly using the term ODE for the USB Enttec - sorry.
I am so pleased you are all able to translate for me ... oops.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 08:16:27 PM »

The lightning adaptor I have is to female USB. I purchased this one so I could use my printer style cable to go from there to the Enttec (to give me more length).
I thought I was using the correct 'ins' and  'outs' of the hub but I can check again. ....today when I connected everything - it didnt work ....  :(

And yes - I was incorrectly using the term ODE for the USB Enttec - sorry.
I am so pleased you are all able to translate for me ... oops.

That was the part I was missing.  A USB A/B cable is a serial cross over so transmit and receive data pins line up. 

So to sum up all the knowledge you have been given.

1 - You need to use the lightning adapter, connect it to a USB A/B cable
2 - Connect the B side of the cable to the uplink port of the hub (some hubs use the older square connector for the uplink others a mini USB)
3 - The hub will supply sufficient current to power the device (the Apple port is current limited, my original assertion)
4 - Plug your DMX thingamajig into the hub
5 - Have fun
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 09:33:03 PM »

That was the part I was missing.  A USB A/B cable is a serial cross over so transmit and receive data pins line up. 

So to sum up all the knowledge you have been given.

1 - You need to use the lightning adapter, connect it to a USB A/B cable
2 - Connect the B side of the cable to the uplink port of the hub (some hubs use the older square connector for the uplink others a mini USB)
3 - The hub will supply sufficient current to power the device (the Apple port is current limited, my original assertion)
4 - Plug your DMX thingamajig into the hub
5 - Have fun

Thanks for all the info Scott and for laying out what I need to do....

However, its a no-go, so I'll not waste anymore of everyone's time on this.
The lighting software (Luminair) attempts to connect but detects no wi-fi so it stops working. I had everything hooked up but had no control over the lights at all.

It was very little investment - so worth a go... no biggie...  :'(

Wi-fi rocks !!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 09:33:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.