ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have created a monster  (Read 2611 times)

Darin Ulmer

I have created a monster
« on: January 28, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »

A couple of months ago I took one of my sons, a freshman, with me to a hip hop show I was providing sound for.  (A Christian artists who turned out to be really good.)  He had not experienced real bass before, only his computer speakers or headphones, and this peaked an interest in speaker building and audio in general.  So we picked out a 10" woofer, designed and built a powered vented box together and now my house shakes and he is on love with deep bass.

Took me back to when I built my first boxes in high school.  A couple of 12" DVC subs from Radio Shack that I attempted to use for live reinforcement. (About the only thing I did right on those was using a Sharpie to color in the white Radio Shack logo on the dust cover.)  Then, a little while later, built a couple of top cabinets with parts from a supply house; powering it all from various old amps I could find cheap at music stores. 

Thus began a 29 year, and counting, journey.

Wondering what caused others to enter this crazy world of audio or speaker design?

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
Re: I have created a monster
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 11:11:01 PM »

A couple of months ago I took one of my sons, a freshman, with me to a hip hop show I was providing sound for.  (A Christian artists who turned out to be really good.)  He had not experienced real bass before, only his computer speakers or headphones, and this peaked an interest in speaker building and audio in general.  So we picked out a 10" woofer, designed and built a powered vented box together and now my house shakes and he is on love with deep bass.

Took me back to when I built my first boxes in high school.  A couple of 12" DVC subs from Radio Shack that I attempted to use for live reinforcement. (About the only thing I did right on those was using a Sharpie to color in the white Radio Shack logo on the dust cover.)  Then, a little while later, built a couple of top cabinets with parts from a supply house; powering it all from various old amps I could find cheap at music stores. 

Thus began a 29 year, and counting, journey.

Wondering what caused others to enter this crazy world of audio or speaker design?
My first real concert was Led Zeppelin at Madison Square. All i wanted to do then was learn my guitar a lot more. A few years later i started hanging around at a local sound provider, mostly for free. It was cool to see how everything worked together (most of the time) to make all that sound. Then when i got to turn that first knob and hear and feel the result i became an addict. I run digital stuff now but still have a couple 7 foot long boards around just as a reminder. You did not create a monster, you contributed to the future, have fun with it!!

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: I have created a monster
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 11:11:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.